Am I in the right place?

Started by
7 comments, last by Koobazaur 6 years, 10 months ago

My game that I am working on (https://dynasties.co) is not a game like most that I see discussed here. In fact, it seems like the majority, if not all, games here are video games and graphical in nature.

Mine is not. It is much more akin to a web application with a backend serving up JSON over an API, to a web frontend consuming it and building the pages. I guess that is because the game is not really graphical at all.

So, I guess the question here, is this forum the right place for me to ask and receive answers? Does the community have other projects like this kicking around? Are there any other web developers here?

Advertisement

Moving to the Lounge since this isn't a technical topic.

Yes, if you have questions the technical forums are the the ones post in.

Depending on the nature of your question you might get better results in the Network Programming, the Game Programming, or the General Programming forum.

If the question is a better fit for a different area of the site we can move it to wherever it needs to go.

Yes, I've seen others working on games with little or no graphical content, I'm sure you'll still get good input here. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

There are quite a few of us around here who appreciate text-based genres. I'm particularly interested in procedurally-generated ascii games (a la Dwarf Fortress or the many roguelikes). Also dabble in interactive fiction now and again.

Also spent my fair share of time with web-based RPGs and strategy games, and do a little web development in my spare time.

So yes, gamedev is a decent place to ask questions on games that aren't bristling with 3D graphics.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Does the community have other projects like this kicking around? Are there any other web developers here?

At the company I work for our product is a web application (server backend + web frontend + RESTful JSON comms). Our web interface is primarily a 3D display (three.js over webgl). So it is graphical but also has all usual technical challenges of any web application.

I'm willing to bet that most programmers here were web developers at some point or at least have some experience in JSON or REST.

A while back when I was a student I made a turn based psychology game that was web based. It was a two player turn based game with a raw php backend. When making a move it would store the move in a MySql database, and each players' front end would continually poll every second for an update from the other player. So it's definitely possible to make a cool multiplayer game with just web based technologies!

If you want to make a game with web-based technologies and fast net-working capabilities then I recommend checking out websockets (i.e. something like socket.io) as opposed to AJAX requests. My game on www.eternaldeathmatch.com uses three.js on the front-end (would highly recommend) socket.io for networking and a node.js back-end.

Text game is still a game!

Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement