Actively Developed BASIC Compilers?

Started by
6 comments, last by Wysardry 6 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know of any actively developed (regularly updated) BASIC compilers suitable for creating simple games, other than PureBasic, AppGameKit and GLBASIC?

This would be for programming on Windows 7 or 10 computers.

Advertisement
Check out FreeBASIC: https://www.freebasic.net/
Also VB.NET, although I think at this point it's evolved into essentially C# with different keywords.

Any particular reason why you aim for having BASIC?

There exist other beginner-friendly languages, for example Python that can also be used to write games, and it has a very large community.

Oberon_Command: Thanks. I didn't realise that FreeBASIC was still being developed.

smr: The last time I tried Visual Studio, there were a lot of dependencies that had to be installed along with it, which put me off using it again.

Alberth: It's mostly personal preference as I grew up using BASIC on various 8-bit home computers. I have since dabbled with C, Perl and PHP, but wasn't as comfortable using any of them.

BASIC has become more structured over the years, and many versions are now compiled instead of being interpreted, so there are fewer reasons (for me) to use other languages.

GAMBAS Almost Means BASic. A personal favourite of mine, for when I need to take a break from Java or from AngularJS.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

Does GAMBAS include game graphics and sound/music commands? I couldn't see any mention of them on the site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement