A new Game Style

Started by
21 comments, last by JohnTheRipper88 6 years, 9 months ago

Hello I had a dream tonight of a new gaming style, 

It will Completely Revolutionize Gaming as we know it.

I will not share any of the ideas Because they are literally unheard of and Revolutionary

But I need some help..... I don't know anything about game design and

I need to know the process of patenting it and how to create it from the ground up.

More than likely I will pitch the game idea to a company when I get done with its Theory.

I need help and I know this game will make a lot of money.... I just don't know where to  start.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Advertisement

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/128569/Opinion_No_One_Cares_About_Your_Cool_Game_Idea.php

Game rules are specifically excluded from copyright - they can't be protected. 

Specific implementations of algorithms can be patented, but this doesn't really allow you to protect game ideas.

Design-patents allow you to protect the look of a product, such as the shape of a coke bottle or the UI layout of Tetris...

Patents are also horribly expensive, need to be written by expert lawyers (again horribly expensive) and if anyone violates your patents, you'll need to wage legal war against them (sue) which is again, horribly expensive. 

No one bothers with that stuff in the games industry. The extent to which your ideas can be protected is not worth the cost of that protection. 

As for trying to sell it, nobody buys ideas. Most people wont even let you pitch an idea to buy as (1) It's a waste of their time and (2) it opens them up to legal liability - if they're already working on a similar idea, you'll complain that they've stolen it from you.

The real value is in the implementation of ideas, not the idea itself. Ideas are only a starting point of a very long an expensive journey. Game designers do not just write down an idea and then go home for a year while it's created for them. Game designer is a full-time job for the entire duration of a project - constantly guiding the development team and refining the idea as implementation of it exposes rough edges that could not have been predicted at the start. Companies don't buy ideas, or hire idea-people, they hire designers.

The exception is is you have an idea and lots of money. In that case you can hire a studio of designers and developers and give them your idea...

If you don't have money, you could take the idea to investors first, to convince them to give you the money... But you will need way more than an idea - you'll need an entire business plan and enough business acumen to put a realistic value on your company (which has nothing but a valueless idea and no ability to execute it,a very risky investment). 

You can try and do the kickstarter thing, but it's the same deal - just an idea and no ability to execute does not inspire confidence... Plus you'd have to disclose the idea.

Alternatively if you want to extract some value from it, you can just go ahead and start refining the idea further in public (on forums, blogs, etc). In the unlikely event that someone steals your idea, at least you'll be known as the inventor / first person to publish the idea,which, if it actually is revolutionary, is a great thing for a future career as a designer. 

Chances are that no one will steal it though as everyone has way more ideas already than they have the time/money to create :(

yea ive been doing a lot of shit tonight, Writing down exactly what happened in my dream the game style game play from details of CHaracter development as well as Game play.

My wife became exhausted and I need someone I can talk to and elaborate on the concepts of the game......

I was literally playing this game in my dream and when I woke up I was very pissed off that it didn't exist......

I want to start learning how to program games or at least developing the concept more....

I just need someone to talk to as I am an extrovert. maybe a mentor who can help me design as we go....

Honestly the game once I elaborate Will not only blow you mind but have you jumping at the idea of creating it.

You could look at the success story of Superhot: They had a great idea of gameplay mechanic, made a free webgame everyone tried out, then it became a full game. Notice that nobody stole their idea.

They used Unity engine which people say is beginner friendly.

I would not rush to talk too much to strangers by Email - they have more experience so it's a lot easier for them to turn it to money on their own. Forums like this can help to solve specific problems without the need to expose your idea.

You need to strip down your vision to the bare minimum (which may be still a year or more of work to get something going).

5 hours ago, VonBeninger said:

Haven't even heard what it is and can tell you there is more than a 98% chance that your idea can't even be made into a game yet.

2 hours ago, VonBeninger said:

I just need someone to talk to as I am an extrovert. maybe a mentor who can help me design as we go....

Just post it under game design, after reading the FAQ, then we can break apart your idea into something that can be made. It will serve as a perfect first step to making your game.

If you still want a private conversation you can message me; I am a artist and don't even have time to breath, let alone steal someones idea. I will even agree to a NDA if you feel it's needed.

5 hours ago, VonBeninger said:

I need to know the process of patenting it and how to create it from the ground up.

More than likely I will pitch the game idea to a company when I get done with its Theory.

Read FAQ 11: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Okay I read Sloperama, and gamasutra.. I have downloaded the unity engine as well and I am beginning to learn how to put basic objects into the engine.... I realize this is going to take me years to develop now but I am certainly committed I have written down all the details of how I want the game designed based off my dream. 

Thank you for you help with the links and information it has helped tremendously.

6 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Haven't even heard what it is and can tell you there is more than a 98% chance that your idea can't even be made into a game yet.

This one may be quite important. The typical game of someones dreams would be either much too expensive to do, or technically (yet) impossible. Some obvious things: Characters can't think, talk or walk - they can only act based on very poor artificial intelligence, play animation and recorded speech. Worlds can't be infinitely large and detailed. Etc.

So if your ideas contain stuff never seen before, you should clarify if this stuff is technically possible at first.

On 6/18/2017 at 1:56 AM, VonBeninger said:

I will not share any of the ideas Because they are literally unheard of and Revolutionary

Can someone interested in bringing the next Generation of Gaming Email me 

1337beningerbryan@gmail.com

I need help and I know this game will make a lot of money.... I just don't know where to  start.

Please reply as soon as possible.

So not to split hairs, but how are you able to claim that it's "literally unheard of and Revolutionary" when you admit that you don't know anything about game design in the same breath? 

Fair warning, your post reads like a scam.

~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement