Check out the latest Staff Blog update that talks about what's changed, what's new, and what's up with these "Pixels".
1 post in this topic
we're making a 90s style game with prerendered backgrounds and static camera angles using a custom software-based engine (Sample WIP video)
I was wondering what's the best way to go about setting up camera triggers. In the video I was manually switching cameras. I was thinking just OBBs (or AABBs), every camera would be associated with a bounding box, if you're in box A then camera A renders.
- Is this a good approach or is there a better more simpler/automated way of doing it? How did old games like Resident Evil or Final Fantasy do it?
- Doing it this way I'd have to use some sort of editor to setup the boxes. We're using Blender so I guess I could use that, although I'd prefer a more specialized editor. Is there any good 3rd party editor that's more suitable to doing this stuff? (The same editor would be used for door triggers, item/enemy spawns, text triggers etc). I thought about writing my own editor but that's a bit luxurious at the moment, I'm still setting the core things up.
Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated
This is a Visual Novel Engine.
It supports Android, Linux, and Windows. This engine allows you to create Visual Novels without programming knowledge.
Its capable of north/east/south/west orientation, and have a simple bult-in battle system with
attack, HP, and escape (teleport) system. The engine is capable of item handling and room teleporting.
To make a game, you have to do a directory for every room (map), then copy the background in, and
create a text file to describe the room with text. You need an apk editor to change the files in the
Android package. By default, it contains a minigame to show you the things.
-It supports the most common image and sound formats (jpg, png, wav, ogg).
-room (map) based movement
-jpg and png backgrounds
-It supports battle system with escape system (also good for creating custom dialogs) including HP management
-ogg and was music play as background music per rooms and battles
-item usage, and item existence based teleportation
-linux, and windows executables
-android apk (you must edit the files into it),
Check out latest tech-demo of Esenthel Engine, a high performance, cross-platform game engine, in development since year 2000, it's available for licensing at http://esenthel.com/
This is also going to be a game! See the game's facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/EsenthelWorld/
Try the demo by yourself: http://esenthel.com/?id=store&item=111
Hi! My name is Philip! I am a software developer with over 2 years of professional experience (not in game development) and maybe 5 years of experience with hobby game development (custom engines, unity, currently learning unreal engine 4).
I am most proficient writing code in either C++ or C#. I am also comfortable with graphics programming (linear algebra, shaders, opengl, d3d11).
It's been some time since I've tried to collaborate on a game development project as most projects in the past didn't work out due to either being overly ambitious or there being little to no insight in the workflow/how everything is coming together. I've been trying to create my own game art for projects but it's really not working out.
So here I am! I'd like to reach out to individual artists or existing development teams that would like to create a game together. I wouldn't mind joining an existing project, though I'd prefer to start on something new together. I currently have a lot of free time on my hands so I'm eager to get to work right away!
What I'm offering:
- High quality code (well documented-, scalable- and optimized code)
- Clear communication/reliability (daily or weekly chat with progress updates)
- Technical directing (as lead programmer or for individual modules depending on the scope of the project)
(- Game/level design: I'm not very experienced in this field but I'd like to contribute; if there's room for it of course)
Some plus'es for me would be:
- You are using/willing to use Unreal Engine 4 (I'm currently learning it and would like to spend more time with it. Also the lighting is so much better than in Unity).
- You have a similar taste in games (to mention a few: Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, Dark Souls, Earthbound, Shadow of the Colossus, Nier, Chrono Trigger)
- You currently have a lot of time to work on the project (able to produce a first prototype fast!)
- You live in a nearby timezone (GMT+1 here)
If you are interested in working together or if you have any questions; please send me PM!
Thanks for your interest!
I am trying to render outline for my mesh. I basicly re-render the mesh without texture and put color. My problem is I want to show the outline topmost. When I clear depthview after rendering outline mesh my outline stays background of target mesh but also background of other meshes. I want to show outline top of other meshes but behind of my target mesh ? Is that possible ? If I clear depthview for mesh and outline at this time my mesh will be top of other meshes which I do not want.