• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

  • Popular Now

  • Advertisement
  • Similar Content

    • By ThunderTwonk
      Hello everyone, I am working on a game idea and since I am still in the process of learning C# and the features available in unity I was hoping some of you might be able to offer me a little insight on things in general for getting started.
      I guess the basic components of what I'm wanting to create would be a Multi-levels management/city builder/rpg.
      The goal is to provide a framework for players to interact with, build in and affect the world both from a 3rd person action RPG as well as a zoomed out 4x style view (This would be something unlocked through gameplay)
       
      As for my questions go I was wondering if anyone had resources that could help me learn.  I've been on youtube as well as enrolled in an online course for basic unity and C# and will continue those but if anyone has any words of advice, a place that has good information and tutorials etc.
       
      Thanks for your time.
    • By Cahit Karahan

       
      Hi, I'm new in this forum. It is honorable to see such communities exist. I would like to share my new game. I did for android with unity. I know the game is a little awkward , but you have to know that this game is from the time when Unity's name is Unity3D  I have made my first game when I was 12. Now I am 22.  I have taken a lot of experience in this process and I can make better games nowadays. I have published this game nowadays but actually this game is very old but also it is very special for me :))
      I have just wanted to retouch and share this game, because it has a very important place for me.
       
      DESCRIPTION FROM GOOGLE PLAY STORE

      It's a special free 3D horror adventure action game for the halloween. Fun with scary sound effects and musics, 3D realistic graphics, you will feel the horror in the deep of your heart. Use your reflex. Totally free adventure. Totally scary horror game. 

      Tamarra, she is a beast from our world. She needs to consume souls from innocent people to stay alive. Story begins, the old Elaris tribe had lost their everything because of this beast who lived in the well. Araknas was the most powerful warrior of the tribe. One day, Araknas's mother was killed by the servant beasts of Tamarra. That's how Araknas's journey to the well begins. Tamara's well is guarded by horrible beasts. Araknas has to pass all servant beasts until he reaches Tamarra.

      Even death at the end is worth the revenge. 
      Are you brave enough to jump into Tamarra's well?

      Survive from witch attacks, clown attacks and many scary creature.

      - Realistic 3D graphics.
      - Scary sounds.
      - Scary musics.
      - Best experience with headphones.
      - A demon cage where you can imprison all the demons one by one
      - The witches do not like help, but they love blood stone. Witch store where you can develop your abilities and get new abilities.
      - Countless beasts.
      - At the end of the well there is a hidden surprise for you.

      *We do not recommend this game to people with clown phobia, spider phobia, or panic attacks.*

      **!!!**Note : This game is an early-access game, we are upgrading new features every day, new beasts, new improvements, as an example online 1vs1 fall on the list, so stay on connect and follow Halloween : Horror Well on Google Play.**!!!**

    • By INFRA
      SCAN. DRILL. SURVIVE.   ISOLATED Release in May 1st 2018   https://store.steampowered.com/app/805950/Isolated/   A game by Jérémie Bertrand Music & Sound Design by Pierrick Querolle *** Our solar system has been invaded by strangers. For the purpose of a possible negotiation, a team of astronauts is sent to the moon. Alas, they are shot before even arriving on the scene. Only one astronaut survives the crash and his only goal will be to go home...   GAMEPLAY   Shoot enemy ships to avoid being invaded. Be precise in your movements, because it's better to lose a bit of life at the top than to lose it all at the bottom. Take out your drill to destroy the stones in your path. Validate your identity to cross the different laboratories. Reach the flag before losing your three lives.   And all that... at the same time! Will you be able to go home? If the answer is yes, how long will it take?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Mesh facing the wrong way!

Recommended Posts

So i imported my mesh into unity and when it moves it acts like its right side is his front and start walking sideways!

i tried re importing it and i tried making the mesh again but facing it a different way but it doesnt change in the game please help ive been trying to fix it for ages!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Unity sucks this way. It has to do with Unity's coordinate, then there is also the fact that it can't import normals correctly, it's scale has problems, it imports smooth groups wrong... In short: there isn't any format, mesh type or 3D software than Unity imports correctly.

So here is what you do: You import your 3D software file, if you use Blender that means importing the .Blend. Remember to delete everything in the scene you don't want to import.

Once you have imported this file you will find it is attached to a container, a empty 3D object. Apply movement to this object instead of the character. The character is attached to this object and will act with it, this object has the correct rotation for Unity.

 

No matter if you use Blender, Maya or Max; Unity will import the mesh as a .FBX, so there is no downside to doing things this way; in performance. Although if you give someone the editor files they also need the same 3D software.

Check that Unity calculates the normals and tangents, instead of importing them. Don't bother with smooth groups, they increase the vertex count, limiting the batching Unity can do with a object.

Always build your material in engine, no matter what engine you use.

 

Importing the 3D software file is only a short term solution, you will need to make the proper adjustments at some point. To do this make a axis in your 3D software and align it with Unity. If you want I can explain more about this.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Unity sucks this way. It has to do with Unity's coordinate, then there is also the fact that it can't import normals correctly, it's scale has problems, it imports smooth groups wrong... In short: there isn't any format, mesh type or 3D software than Unity imports correctly.

So here is what you do: You import your 3D software file, if you use Blender that means importing the .Blend. Remember to delete everything in the scene you don't want to import.

Once you have imported this file you will find it is attached to a container, a empty 3D object. Apply movement to this object instead of the character. The character is attached to this object and will act with it, this object has the correct rotation for Unity.

 

No matter if you use Blender, Maya or Max; Unity will import the mesh as a .FBX, so there is no downside to doing things this way; in performance. Although if you give someone the editor files they also need the same 3D software.

Check that Unity calculates the normals and tangents, instead of importing them. Don't bother with smooth groups, they increase the vertex count, limiting the batching Unity can do with a object.

Always build your material in engine, no matter what engine you use.

 

Importing the 3D software file is only a short term solution, you will need to make the proper adjustments at some point. To do this make a axis in your 3D software and align it with Unity. If you want I can explain more about this.

 

I imported the file but there was no empty 3D object? i added one but it just went off on its own without the mesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you add one you need to drag the mesh into it using the Unity Hierarchy, window with the list of object names, check that both objects are at the 0,0,0 point when doing it.

Once you have them linked this way, drag the object out of the hierarchy into a assets folder to create a prefab for re-use. Check the Unity manual on importing and  the prefabs topics for more details.

 

If you used the 3D software save file, then the object you got is the container. Click on it's arrow in the hierarchy to view what is inside.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

If you add one you need to drag the mesh into it using the Unity Hierarchy, window with the list of object names, check that both objects are at the 0,0,0 point when doing it.

Once you have them linked this way, drag the object out of the hierarchy into a assets folder to create a prefab for re-use. Check the Unity manual on importing and  the prefabs topics for more details.

 

If you used the 3D software save file, then the object you got is the container. Click on it's arrow in the hierarchy to view what is inside.

I just tried this it doesnt seem to work i will try and send a video

 

I attached a video below

also what i show in the video isnt the original problem before the monster was upright and just faced his right side towards me 

2017-06-20_09-50-31.mp4

Edited by KnowItAllGames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you upload a screen of the monster, also we need to see the script to see if the problem isn't there.

This image will show what I am looking for:

 

YIm8Y0p.png

Edited by Scouting Ninja
Format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Can you upload a screen of the monster, also we need to see the script to see if the problem isn't there.

This image will show what I am looking for:

  Reveal hidden contents

YIm8Y0p.png

There is a screen shot and here are the scripts for he AI

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class AIScript : MonoBehaviour {

	public float fpsTargetDistance;
	public float enemyLookDistance;
	public float attackDistance;
	public float enemyMovementSpeed;
	public float damping;
	public Transform fpsTarget;
	Rigidbody theRigidbody;
	Renderer myRender;

	// Use this for initialization
	void Start () {
		myRender = GetComponent<Renderer> ();
		theRigidbody = GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
	}
	
	// Update is called once per frame
	void FixedUpdate () {
		fpsTargetDistance = Vector3.Distance (fpsTarget.position, transform.position);
		if (fpsTargetDistance < enemyLookDistance) {
			myRender.material.color = Color.yellow;
			lookAtPlayer ();
			print ("Look at dah player");
		}
		if (fpsTargetDistance < attackDistance) {
			myRender.material.color = Color.red;
			attackPlease ();
			print ("Attack");
		} else {
			myRender.material.color = Color.blue;
		}
	}

	void lookAtPlayer(){
		Quaternion rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation (fpsTarget.position - transform.position);
		transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp (transform.rotation, rotation, Time.deltaTime * damping);
    }

	void attackPlease(){
		theRigidbody.AddForce (transform.forward * enemyMovementSpeed);

	}
}

 

 

Screenshot.png

Edited by KnowItAllGames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

OK first your monster need to be rotated so that he is looking towards the blue arrow.

Then use the Unity look function instead of your "void look at player" function. That is "transform.LookAt(target)".

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting/look this tutorial explains it.

Blue is forward, red is side ways and green is up.

Ok but when i rotate the monster and do the script he just walks to his right facing forward? im sorry i think being stupid, i might have done the script wrong can you please edit it the way you explained?

 

Edited by KnowItAllGames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Unity pack has a simple setup for using the navmesh.

Note that waypoints don't need to be set this way, this is only to show how to find the player. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-AgentPatrol.html

 

Import the pack by right clicking and selecting custom pack, don't import into your game this is only a reference; there is a lot that can be improved especially my hard coding.

NavMeshHelp.unitypackage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Advertisement