KnowItAllGames

Need a script for Main Menu buttons

Vilem Otte    2941

So, as I've created some games already in Unity, I will describe simple example of how I'd do it in Unity these days (and most likely will do it next time I'll use Unity for something):

Here is a simple example I put together in few minutes: https://otte.cz/random/MainMenu.rar

Short description: What you need is some GameObject in scene which will have script containing public functions that are handlers for buttons. The class holding these must derive from MonoBehaviour, like the one in the archive:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;

public class MainMenuController : MonoBehaviour
{
    // Function called for button, must have 0 or 1 string argument at most, must be public
    public void NewGameHandler()
    {
        // Load another scene with "Game" name, scenes must be added in Build Settings!
        SceneManager.LoadScene("Game");
    }

// Function called for button, must have 0 or 1 string argument at most, must be public
    public void QuitHandler()
    {
        // Exit the application
        Application.Quit();
    }
}

Now on the buttons, add a On Click record, where you attach (drag & drop, or just click + select) this game object with above-like MonoBehaviour attached. Next, select (from event drop down) the MonoBehaviour class name and under it there will be a function (NewGameHandler, QuitHandler)... note that the drop down has 2 levels, it is easy to miss it.

It is setup in the project in the archive, so feel free to use anything from it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Vermeulen
      I've been using async-await in Unity 2017 for awhile now and went through some hurdles getting it to work properly with the unity way of doing things. In order to avoid anyone else suffering the same problems I've posted a tutorial with what I've learned here:

http://www.stevevermeulen.com/index.php/2017/09/23/using-async-await-in-unity3d-2017/
    • By Ivanotus
      Hi, I'm the director of "Project Sentinels".
      Our game will be a 2D top-down view Action-RPG, made with Game Maker, with influences from Zelda, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter and The Witcher.
      We're actively looking for hobbyist 2D artists (ideally two) that will be tasked with the creation of the sprites and mapping for our game. The style of the art isn't fixed yet and can be talked about.
      The game, as of right now, is nothing but a good bunch of documentation and ideas waiting to be put into practice. The main story and characters, the world background and lore and game mechanics (combat, dialogues and others) are already written down.
      Synopsis:
      For the moment, there's no money involved. We're all students that use some of our free time to work on a videogame. We'll try to crowdfund our game in the future, and the money that will be potentially earned will be equally shared.
      If you're interested, send me a PM or add me in Discord (Ivanotus#0984) and there I'll answer any question you may have.

• By Modymek
      hi all
      I want to enable and disable shader in MPCH Media player Classic
      the MPCH have shader option using HLSL shaders
      I want the shader to read each file extension before it plays the file
      so if the video file name is video.GR.Mp4 it will play it in Grayscale shader 
      if it is not and standard file name Video.Mp4 without GR. unique extension so it plays standard without shader or end the shader
      here is the shader I have for grayscale
      // $MinimumShaderProfile: ps_2_0
      sampler s0 : register(s0);
      float4 main(float2 tex : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR {
          float c0 = dot(tex2D(s0, tex), float4(0.299, 0.587, 0.114, 0));
          return c0;
      }

I want to add if or block stantement or bloean to detect file name before it call the shader in order to go to the procedure or disable it or goto end direct without it

any thoughts or help
    • By noodleBowl
      I've gotten to part in my DirectX 11 project where I need to pass the MVP matrices to my vertex shader. And I'm a little lost when it comes to the use of the constant buffer with the vertex shader
      I understand I need to set up the constant buffer just like any other buffer:
      1. Create a buffer description with the D3D11_BIND_CONSTANT_BUFFER flag 2. Map my matrix data into the constant buffer 3. Use VSSetConstantBuffers to actually use the buffer But I get lost at the VertexShader part, how does my vertex shader know to use this constant buffer when we get to the shader side of things
      In the example I'm following I see they have this as their vertex shader, but I don't understand how the shader knows to use the MatrixBuffer cbuffer. They just use the members directly. What if there was multiple cbuffer declarations like the Microsoft documentation says you could have?
      //Inside vertex shader cbuffer MatrixBuffer { matrix worldMatrix; matrix viewMatrix; matrix projectionMatrix; }; struct VertexInputType { float4 position : POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; struct PixelInputType { float4 position : SV_POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; PixelInputType ColorVertexShader(VertexInputType input) { PixelInputType output; // Change the position vector to be 4 units for proper matrix calculations. input.position.w = 1.0f; // Calculate the position of the vertex against the world, view, and projection matrices. output.position = mul(input.position, worldMatrix); output.position = mul(output.position, viewMatrix); output.position = mul(output.position, projectionMatrix); // Store the input color for the pixel shader to use. output.color = input.color; return output; }  
    • By ReStart Studio

Hi, I would like to have an opinion on what I can improve and change in my first published game.
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.restart.bouncy
      The game was made on Unity3D.
      Thank you.
  • Popular Now