• Advertisement
data2

Direct2D fails when drawing a single-channel bitmap

This topic is 390 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm an experienced programmer specialized in Computer Graphics, mainly using Direct3D 9.0c, OpenGL and general algorithms. Currently, I am evaluating Direct2D as rendering technology for a professional application dealing with medical image data. As for rendering, it is a x64 desktop application in windowed mode (not fullscreen).

Already with my very initial steps I struggle with a task I thought would be a no-brainer: Rendering a single-channel bitmap on screen.

Running on a Windows 8.1 machine, I create an ID2D1DeviceContext with a Direct3D swap chain buffer surface as render target. The swap chain is created from a HWND and buffer format DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM. Note: See also the code snippets at the end.

Afterwards, I create a bitmap with pixel format DXGI_FORMAT_R8_UNORM and alpha mode D2d1_ALPHA_MODE_IGNORE. When calling DrawBitmap(...) on the device context, a debug break point is triggered with the debug message "D2d DEBUG ERROR - This operation is not compatible with the pixel format of the bitmap".

I know that this output is quite clear. Also, when changing the pixel format to DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM with DXGI_ALPHA_MODE_IGNORE everything works well and I see the bitmap rendered. However, I simply cannot believe that! Graphics cards support single-channel textures ever since - every 3D graphics application can use them without thinking twice. This goes without speaking.

I tried to find anything here and at Google, without success. The only hint I could find was the MSDN Direct2D page with the (supported pixel formats). The documentation suggests - by not mentioning it - that DXGI_FORMAT_R8_UNORM is indeed not supported as bitmap format. I also find posts talking about alpha masks (using DXGI_FORMAT_A8_UNORM), but that's not what I'm after.

What am I missing that I can't convince Direct2D to create and draw a grayscale bitmap? Or is it really true that Direct2D doesn't support drawing of R8 or R16 bitmaps??

Any help is really appreciated as I don't know how to solve this. If I can't get this trivial basics to work, I think I'd have to stop digging deeper into Direct2D :-(.

And here is the code snippets of relevance. Please note that they might not compile since I ported this on the fly from my C++/CLI code to plain C++. Also, I threw away all error checking and other noise:

Device, Device Context and Swap Chain Creation (D3D and Direct2D):

// Direct2D factory creation  
D2D1_FACTORY_OPTIONS options = {};  
options.debugLevel = D2D1_DEBUG_LEVEL_INFORMATION;  
ID2D1Factory1* d2dFactory;  
D2D1CreateFactory(D2D1_FACTORY_TYPE_MULTI_THREADED, options, &d2dFactory);  

// Direct3D device creation  
const auto type = D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE;  
const auto flags = D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_BGRA_SUPPORT;  
ID3D11Device* d3dDevice;  
D3D11CreateDevice(nullptr, type, nullptr, flags, nullptr, 0, D3D11_SDK_VERSION, &d3dDevice, nullptr, nullptr);  

// Direct2D device creation  
IDXGIDevice* dxgiDevice;  
d3dDevice->QueryInterface(__uuidof(IDXGIDevice), reinterpret_cast<void**>(&dxgiDevice));  
ID2D1Device* d2dDevice;  
d2dFactory->CreateDevice(dxgiDevice, &d2dDevice);  

// Swap chain creation  
DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC1 desc = {};  
desc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM;  
desc.SampleDesc.Count = 1;  
desc.BufferUsage = DXGI_USAGE_RENDER_TARGET_OUTPUT;  
desc.BufferCount = 2;  

IDXGIAdapter* dxgiAdapter;  
dxgiDevice->GetAdapter(&dxgiAdapter);  
IDXGIFactory2* dxgiFactory;  
dxgiAdapter->GetParent(__uuidof(IDXGIFactory), reinterpret_cast<void **>(&dxgiFactory));  

IDXGISwapChain1* swapChain;  
dxgiFactory->CreateSwapChainForHwnd(d3dDevice, hwnd, &swapChainDesc, nullptr, nullptr, &swapChain);  

// Direct2D device context creation  
const auto options = D2D1_DEVICE_CONTEXT_OPTIONS_NONE;  
ID2D1DeviceContext* deviceContext;  
d2dDevice->CreateDeviceContext(options, &deviceContext);  

// create render target bitmap from swap chain  
IDXGISurface* swapChainSurface;  
swapChain->GetBuffer(0, __uuidof(swapChainSurface), reinterpret_cast<void **>(&swapChainSurface));  
D2D1_BITMAP_PROPERTIES1 bitmapProperties;  
bitmapProperties.dpiX = 0.0f;  
bitmapProperties.dpiY = 0.0f;  
bitmapProperties.bitmapOptions = D2D1_BITMAP_OPTIONS_TARGET | D2D1_BITMAP_OPTIONS_CANNOT_DRAW;  
bitmapProperties.pixelFormat.format = DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM;  
bitmapProperties.pixelFormat.alphaMode = D2D1_ALPHA_MODE_IGNORE;  
bitmapProperties.colorContext = nullptr;  
ID2D1Bitmap1* swapChainBitmap = nullptr;  
deviceContext->CreateBitmapFromDxgiSurface(swapChainSurface, &bitmapProperties, &swapChainBitmap);  

// set swap chain bitmap as render target of D2D device context  
deviceContext->SetTarget(swapChainBitmap);  

D2D single-channel Bitmap Creation:

const D2D1_SIZE_U size = { 512, 512 };  
const UINT32 pitch = 512;  
D2D1_BITMAP_PROPERTIES1 d2dProperties;  
ZeroMemory(&d2dProperties, sizeof(D2D1_BITMAP_PROPERTIES1));  
d2dProperties.pixelFormat.alphaMode = D2D1_ALPHA_MODE_IGNORE;  
d2dProperties.pixelFormat.format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8_UNORM;  
char* sourceData = new char[512*512];  

ID2D1Bitmap1* d2dBitmap;  
deviceContext->DeviceContextPointer->CreateBitmap(size, sourceData, pitch, d2dProperties, &d2dBitmap); 

Bitmap drawing (FAILING):

deviceContext->BeginDraw();  
D2D1_COLOR_F d2dColor = {};  
deviceContext->Clear(d2dColor);  

// THIS LINE FAILS WITH THE DEBUG BREAKPOINT IF SINGLE CHANNELED  
deviceContext->DrawBitmap(bitmap, nullptr, 1.0f, D2D1_INTERPOLATION_MODE_LINEAR, nullptr);    

swapChain->Present(1, 0);  
deviceContext->EndDraw();  

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!