Game Design College Major Question

Started by
5 comments, last by frob 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi, quick questions.  I have geared my high school education towards more engineering based classes (like advanced classes in chem, physics, calc, CAD, and a computer science principals class).  If I wanted to major in Game Design in college, firstly, would it be more beneficial to double major in Game Design and something like Software Engineering, or Computer Engineering, and secondly, considering that I have a more science and math based high school course load, with only two classes geared towards what I believe are some of the main prereqs (correct me if I am wrong) for a game design type major(Computer Science Principals, and CAD), would it be more beneficial to start studying as an engineer and add the Game Design option, or would it be better vice versa?

Advertisement

It depends. Which is more interesting to you: programming? or game design? This might help: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm

And read this too: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson40.htm

What YOU are interested in is probably more important than you think.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

That IS a big question, in which I am also contemplating.  I am a big math guy; but great as an artist also.  I have 1.5 years to think about it before I enrol into college.  

If I am a 'team leader' designation for my future indi-studio... would it be more responsible for me to specialize in GAME PROGRAMMING? rather graphic design?

I am pondering the same sort of things, original poster.

"Eating bitter, makes one taste sweet"

Daryn, your 2nd question probably needs a new and separate thread as it's not really related to the first. Bear in mind that it's rarely practical to open a "studio" unless you already have money to pay people, which means you'll have already had a job, which in turn usually means you have to solve the initial problem first, i.e. "what should I do or study in order to get the job I want".

That's right. The studio is my future ambition some day.  Not yet.  First I plan on going to college to learn more.

"Eating bitter, makes one taste sweet"

On 6/21/2017 at 2:39 PM, Jhelf said:

would it be more beneficial to double major in Game Design and something like Software Engineering, or Computer Engineering

Different schools have different programs.

Many schools have a "game design" program that is primarily a programming course with only a few design topics.  Others are highly focused on design, which has nothing to do with programming.

I'm curious how the school's "Software Engineering" track is different from the traditional Computer Science degree. Often a program like that will issue something called a 'trade degree', which is different than what most people consider a university diploma. The programs are usually much faster but also less rigorous.

If you decide to follow the programming route, I strongly recommend following the traditional computer science degree. It may take a little more time but you can use all the topics if you someday program games. If you someday decide to program something other than games you will have a degree that applies to non-game jobs, making that transition easier.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement