• Advertisement

Simutrans-Extended online multiplayer goes live

A slightly belated announcement: Simutrans-Extended, an open source hobby project on which I have been working (with the help of others) for some years (and which was until recently called "Simutrans-Experimental") is now playable online.

It is still in an early access phase of development, as the financial aspects are not fully balanced yet, but getting this to work online after having added multi-threading support last year is a considerable achievement.

Simutrans-Extended is a fork of the mature open source transport simulator Simutrans, with an emphasis on operational and economic realism. See here for more information on how to download Simutrans-Extended for Windows or Linux.

Once downloaded and installed, connecting to the online server ("Bridgewater-Brunel") that I have set up for testing should be easy: just select "play online" from the menu that appears when the game first starts, select the server from the list (there may be just the one server in the list), and click "play online".

Currently, I am running just a brief test for stability and performance with a very large map created by a user, but the aim is in due course to have long-term semi-persistent games with multiple players. A game can last up to about 270 in-game years (i.e. from 1750 to the present day), and, as each in-game year lasts about a day in real time, the game can last about 9 months before needing to be re-set.

I should be very grateful for any feedback on the stability and performance aspects of the testing server for the present. If anybody would like to work on the game to help to add planned features, please get in touch - although I am slowly getting through the work necessary to get the game to a point where the financial aspects can be balanced, any help would be welcome.

server.png

Advertisement

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By mangine
      Hello. I am developing a civ 6 clone set in space and I have a few issues. I am using Lua for the logic and UI of the game and c++ directx 12 for the graphics. I need a way to send information between Lua and c++ occasionally and was wondering what is the best and most flexible (and hopefully fast) way to do this. Don't forget that I also need to send things from c++ back to Lua. I know of a lua extension called "LuaBridge" on github but it is a little old and I am worried that it will not work with directx 12. Has anybody done something similar and knows a good method of sending data back and forth? I am aware that Lua is used more and more in the industry and surely plenty of AAA game programmers know the answer to this. I want a good solution that will hopefully still be viable code in a couple of years...
    • By owenjr
      Hi there.
      I'm pretty new to this and I don't know if it has been asked before, but here I go.
      I'm developing a game using SFML and C++.
      I would like to use the "Tiled" tool to load maps into my game but I don't actually find any tutorial or guide on how to exaclty use it (I know that I have to read an XML file and stuff). I just step into diverse projects that make all a mess. 
      Anyone knows where can I find good information to make my map loader by myself?
      Thanks in advantage!!
    • By MHG OstryTM
      Hello guys,
      I've released my game for the first time. I'm very excited about it and I hope you'll enjoy the game - Beer Ranger. It's a retro-like puzzle-platfromer which makes you think a lot or die trying. You have a squad of skilled dwarfs with special powers and your goal is tasty beer. There is a lot of traps as well as many solutions how to endure them - it is up to your choice how to complete the level! 
      Link to the project: Project site
      Link to the Steam site with video: Beer Ranger
      Have fun and please write feedback if you feel up to.
      Some screens: 

• By katastrophic88

Hello Everyone!
      I’m now working with Zugalu -- developer of an upcoming SHMUP named Technolites – as Community Manager.
      In Technolites, you’ll take command of a fully customizable ship and dash across the universe to defeat an ancient alien threat. Deploy more than 500 weapons and utility upgrades – fighting by yourself or with a friend. The fate of humanity rests in your hands. We’re currently live on Kickstarter, and we’d love it if you could check out our page! Any feedback is greatly appreciated
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/643340596/technolites-a-story-driven-shoot-em-up-by-zugalu
      Looking forward to seeing all of the great game projects being developed and launching this year!
  • Advertisement