• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
suliman

Sprite-based fonts messed up after move to new computer

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi

Im using a 2d engine (HGE, uses directX 8.0) for my games. After buying a new computer with another graphicscard (and moving from win 7 to win 10), my fonts are sligthly messed up (missing some parts) in all my games. Im using the same monitor as before. See attached image (second "f" of effect is ugly, some of the numbers are missing, "o" of population is ugly).

The fonts are drawn as sprites from a image file containing all letters. However the same letters work in same cases and looks ugly in others. Also, this problem ONLY occurs when I run my games in windowed mode with less than native resolution (which is 1920x1080). In fullscreen mode (even if scaled down, eg 1366x768) or in 1920x1080 windowed the fonts look fine.

What could be the issue? Something with win 10?

Thanks!

error font.jpg

Edited by suliman

Posted (edited)

Sounds like some combination of the new video card (which probably means new video driver), and non-native resolution, and possibly the new OS. There are too many variables at play here for me to give you a definitive answer. 

You might be able to tweak your video driver's antialiasing and texture filtering settings (and probably other stuff I'm forgetting off the top of my head). You may also be able to play with screen resolutions. 

Edited by masskonfuzion

I have had the same problem using fully managed C# code to draw a font into a bitmap resulting in the very same image as yours when moving to Win7. It might have something caused by the native rendering code in Windows that causes these kind of issues. In C# it helped to set anti aliasing properly, maybe your engine is that old that it assumes occurence of some kind of MSAA beeing activated by default

nope, tested all my settings in the nvidia control panel. Still broken fonts :( (using gtx 970 now)

I've had the same problem in one of my projects, and only in windowed mode.. It turned out that my window wasn't resized properly to match the resolution (the size is including the windows border etc., which changes from Win7 -> Win10), so a few lines were lost due to a very small downscaling. So try and go through your windows creation code :)

Ah im using an engine so I never really deal with that part of it... Would be a shame to drop windowed support for my games and also annoying during development (faster to debug in windowed mode).

Maybe change window size if not in fullscreen mode? (instead of 1600x900 i try 1650x950 for example)

Posted (edited)

Are you using AdjustWindowRect for resizing your window?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms632665(v=vs.85).aspx

This function makes sure you get the right clientwindow size no matter how big titlebars, menus, borders etc. are.
On the other hand you can also adapt you backbuffer to the real clientsize so you can handle every windowsize.

Edited by Auskennfuchs

If you can get the HWND of the window you can call AdjustWindowRect() yourself :)

But I would highly recommend you switch to a more modern engine that doesn't use DX8, don't know any of them though as I write my own.. Or better yet, make your own: shouldn't be hard to make a simple 2D engine yourself using DX9, and as a result you'll get shader support which can do really great stuff for you!

Yeah i see the benefit from switching:) But ive built hundreds of functions around this engine so im hasitant to make the jump. If i do i will probably go for unity instead.

If i run the game exe with compatibility mode for windows 7 ticked the error is no longer present! Yay!

Any way to set up visual studio 2013 so it launched the compiled exe (both for debug and release builds) in this compatibility mode (win 7)?

To clearify; it works when launched from the file explorer after right-clicking and ticking the win 7 mode, I want this when running the exe from "within" visual studio 2013.

Thanks for your help
Erik