chenke6950

IOKit has very large swapped size on iPhone6

chenke6950    122

We use OpenGL ES2.0 for our game.

On iPhone6 series, the IOKit has very large swapped size(100MB for just one resource, 0 resident size and 0 dirty size) which will lead to crash,

for the same setting, almost no swapped size on iPhone 5 and 7 series...(attached images are iphone 5,6,7 in order)

Our textures are mostly 1024x1024, 512x512, one 2048x1024

any ideas?

iphone5.JPG

iphone6.JPG

iphone7p.JPG

Edited by chenke6950

missionctrl    206

OpenGL textures will show up under IOKit.  With that in mind, here are a few things I noticed that might help - 

The iPhone5 is the only one that maintains a zero swapped size and is also the one with the smallest screen size.  So maybe screen size is a factor?  Especially if you're doing multiple render passes.

Your iPhone6 is running iOS 9, so perhaps there was a memory management change for iOS 10 that effects what you're doing.  Metal had some changes in iOS 10 with texture-handling, but I think that was mostly to support wide-range pixel formats.  Still might be worth looking into.

chenke6950    122
13 hours ago, missionctrl said:

OpenGL textures will show up under IOKit.  With that in mind, here are a few things I noticed that might help - 

The iPhone5 is the only one that maintains a zero swapped size and is also the one with the smallest screen size.  So maybe screen size is a factor?  Especially if you're doing multiple render passes.

Your iPhone6 is running iOS 9, so perhaps there was a memory management change for iOS 10 that effects what you're doing.  Metal had some changes in iOS 10 with texture-handling, but I think that was mostly to support wide-range pixel formats.  Still might be worth looking into.

hi, missionctrl

we tested an iPhone6 and iPhone6p on iOS 10.3.2, same problem. 

we do not use any multiple render pass, only render to the window.

I guess iPhonn5 do not have swapped size is because it exits after iPhone5s.

Edited by chenke6950