Suggestion for drawing an isometric character

I decided to implement an isometric 2D game for iPhone, using SpriteKit and GameplayKit, and Inkscape/GIMP as graphic tools. I prefer vectorial graphics because as a iOS programmer I am required to create multiple versions of my assets, each one of different size in order to adapt to different screen resolutions. I use GIMP just rarely, in the case that I need to adjust the images created with Inkscape. 

I draw my hero using Inkscape, and this is the result: 

Now since it's an isometric game, the hero needs to move in all the four directions, and he also needs to aim the shotgun to different directions. I will also need to draw the hero with more weapons, but for now I have this one. Now the question is: should I draw a new version of the hero for all the possible directions in which the shotgun could be pointed, or there is a smarter way? 

The only options that come to my mind are:

• Drawing the hero aiming the shotgun only in the main directions (maybe 0°, 15°, 30°, etc...)
  • Drawing the hero aiming in 3 directions (0°, 45°, -45°) and then finding a way to interpolate the images in order to draw the hero aiming in the intermediate directions
  • Using two separate layers, the top layer to draw the arms and the shotgun of the hero, and rotating it in the desired direction

Clearly the best way would be to redraw the hero for each aiming direction, but it requires too much work. If instead I choose the 3rd option I think I'd get not so much realistic results. What do you suggest? or maybe there is a smarter way?

It's a totally different technique than 2D drawing so you may not like it, but in the projects I was involved in with isometric view, artists draw their work in a 3D modeler, and then convert to 2D bitmaps in automagic post-processing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Aggrojag
      Hello!
      I'm working on a game that is quite personal to me. It touches on my own depression, obsessions, phobias, etc. It's a narrative driven dark comedy with some small aspects of platforming and puzzle solving. The project is rather small as well. It touches on topics such as suicide, mental illness, family, corruption, free-will, and redemption.
      First, I'm looking for a 2D animator that can compliment the style of the attached image. The player character's animations will be a bit more extensive than a typical platformer. There will be many death animations, and some other strange dealings with the character that will need animation. Other items will include some objects in the world that are in need of animation. All static pieces of art will be handled by the artist that drew the attached image.
      Second, I'm looking for a male voice actor. There will be at minimum two characters that will need to be brought to life through vocals. They are a very core part of the game, though they will never be shown on screen. As a reminder, this is a rather dark comedy, so be prepared for some insanity in your portrayal of these characters. The first voice is that of a game show host's voice, while the other will be a devilish voice (without SFX, I think it cheapens it, does not necessarily need to be a low voice, this is more about the portrayal than how the voice sounds).
      Last, I would love to have an editor on board. More than just avoiding disaster in the writing, I'm looking for someone that can elevate it. There is not a ton of writing that will be in the final project, but it's important enough of an aspect to be trying to bring someone in to help with it.
      To those interested:
      I have a crappy prototype that exists, along with a couple game design docs. More than anything, I'd like to present the project through a voice chat via discord to any interested. Discord - Bobdul Thundercuck#4590
      I do plan to post this on itch.io and wherever else I can put it that makes sense. I fully expect to make nothing off this project, as should you. However, in the case that money is made, a rev share model will be in place.

Edit: Editor position has been filled, title has been changed to reflect this, and crossed out the section detailing this.
    • By Manumeq
      Hello everyone.
      Me and a bunch of classmates are making a videogame from scratch in c++. We are currently using the Irrlicht Engine in our code, but will begin to develop our own engine in a couple of weeks. One of our concerns right now is the User Interface.
      After doing some research, I found several libraries for creating a GUI in c++, problem is in the past we have spent more time learning and figuring out how to make things work with libraries than we would have if we actually made the entire code from scratch ourselves.
      So, I wanted to ask more experienced game programmers out there, what would be your preferred choice? using a library or writting the code from scratch when making an UI, and in case of the libraries, which ones would you use?.
      Heres what we will most likely do:
      Healthbars Displaying numbers in HUD Displaying icons (images) in HUD Drawing game menu elements (text and rectangles) Also, we are currently working in linux, more specifically Manjaro KDE and without IDE's (using our own make file and the console).
      PD: Sorry in advance is this is in the wrong topic, It's my first time asking a question in GameDev.net
    • By Cidade Arts
      GunnSwitch is an open world 2D platformer/shooter with hand drawn and animated HD graphics. Featuring Psytrance music for the action and some ambient music for the exploration segments. The game play features exploration in interesting and varied places that will take hours to find everything hidden within. Upgrade your character and tank with an arsenal of abilities and attacks to prepare for the challenging platforming, puzzle solving, discovering of secrets, also fighting hordes of enemies and the long list of bosses to defeat.

• By Cogniad
      Hello there!
      I've been working on a little 2D mobile RTS game, and I've found that my tiny team requires more developers to make it move along faster. First things first: while we do have a business model, don't expect to be paid anything. It's an indie game, we typically don't make money, as many of you probably already know. Do it for the fun of it, because it is fun.
      That being said, I think it's a fun and cute project that I would love to go in depth with one-on-one. We have most of the frame work done, and a general idea for the style of artwork that is desired, but I'm always open to more ideas.
      If I had to describe the game in two words, it would be: Despotic Potatoes.
      Email me at cogniad@gmail.com if interested.
      Thanks for reading!
    • By CosmicMeatloaf
      Hey guys, I recently made this post, I recommend skimming for a quick gist and look at the results at the bottom of the post : 
      (I felt that post misrepresents what I've turned the language into as of right now, so here's this post.)

Where I described my proposition for a language to replace CSS (for good reasons, in my view).
      Well I've gone ahead and create a Jar for it, and a GitHub wiki with a syntax specification (I recommend reading that instead of the syntax in the post I linked), and a quick-start guide to start making your own UX Library compatible with the language, if you want something a little less... shipoopi to work with. More organized, and robust.
      Here is the GitHub for anyone who is interested:
      https://github.com/BetterBe/Kiss-lang/wiki

• Popular Now