Ramy89

Suggestion for drawing an isometric character

I decided to implement an isometric 2D game for iPhone, using SpriteKit and GameplayKit, and Inkscape/GIMP as graphic tools. I prefer vectorial graphics because as a iOS programmer I am required to create multiple versions of my assets, each one of different size in order to adapt to different screen resolutions. I use GIMP just rarely, in the case that I need to adjust the images created with Inkscape. 

I draw my hero using Inkscape, and this is the result: 

Now since it's an isometric game, the hero needs to move in all the four directions, and he also needs to aim the shotgun to different directions. I will also need to draw the hero with more weapons, but for now I have this one. Now the question is: should I draw a new version of the hero for all the possible directions in which the shotgun could be pointed, or there is a smarter way? 

The only options that come to my mind are:

• Drawing the hero aiming the shotgun only in the main directions (maybe 0°, 15°, 30°, etc...)
  • Drawing the hero aiming in 3 directions (0°, 45°, -45°) and then finding a way to interpolate the images in order to draw the hero aiming in the intermediate directions
  • Using two separate layers, the top layer to draw the arms and the shotgun of the hero, and rotating it in the desired direction

Clearly the best way would be to redraw the hero for each aiming direction, but it requires too much work. If instead I choose the 3rd option I think I'd get not so much realistic results. What do you suggest? or maybe there is a smarter way?

It's a totally different technique than 2D drawing so you may not like it, but in the projects I was involved in with isometric view, artists draw their work in a 3D modeler, and then convert to 2D bitmaps in automagic post-processing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By suliman
      Hi!
      My game is coming along nicely and I would love some feedback.
      You play as one (or two in co-op) survivor that must travel the land and survive the infected hordes, looners and bandits. You stop in locations but are always pressed as the hordes will start pouring in. Collect resources (food, fuel, medical supplies and ammo) and weapons and head for the goal!
      Tips
      Always quickly switch to a melee weapon if running out of ammo Loot everything if you have time to loot, including cartrunks Choose locations that have the loot you need (such as gas station for fuel) Try to avoid running out of fuel or having your car break down. Walking is dangerous! Download (50 MB, works with windows only, you DON'T need dropbox to download):
      Damnation road (beta 2)

• By Brian Paek
      Football Dash now on iOS! Over 1 million downloads on Android
      iOS:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/football-dash-endless-runner/id1312590451?ls=1&mt=8
      Android:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beastattack.c1434846484727

• By zizulot
      first and only logo , for now
    • By adapelin
      I am a computer engineering student and i have the assignment below. İ only can write the 2D maze array and have no idea about creating car and time as well. Could anyone write and explain hot to do???
      Minimum Criteria: You are expected to design the game by using C ++ . Below are the minimal criteria: • You must create game board with 2 - Dimensional Matrix • Bonuses create with randomly in the game board • All bonuses have got the same value but different effect for car and score . These effects may be positive or negative . • You must use pointer for creating and using car . Some bonuses may be change car type. • When the game finish, you must show high - score. • For moving car , you need to create coordinate s randomly and you need to write proper control statements. • You must use functions for drawing game board and changing car type . If you need extra functions, you can use it. • If you cannot get out the maze when the time is up , the game is over and you need to show high score. In this project, you must do all minimum criteria. In the end, your program must be work without any errors. Bonus: • Save and load high score information to/from disk • Each bonus has got different random values. • You can create cheat codes for the game. • You can create alternative control for car . • Car can jump over the wall but may lose the score . When car exit the maze , game is over and you need to show high score.    
    • By jhay_u
      so i have this 2D point and click game wherein you play as teenage boy being forced to deal illegal drugs in exchange for your kidnapped sister. 
      the game is currently in production and the game somehow has very few challenges to it according to testers.
      now, im kinda looking for suggestions regarding some puzzles that i could integrate onto the game. the game's theme is somehow dark, serious and true to life. something that happens in real life perhaps.
      some of the mechanics i have is item interaction and dialogue system where responses would vary and affect certain outcomes.
      comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated. thanks!
  • Popular Now