• Advertisement

Design How to Propose an Idea as an Indie to a Big Company?

Hello.

Let's say that we've got a good idea/design for a game, but we can't develop it on our own due to our beginner knowledge and skills, so instead we want to propose/sell/give the idea to one of the big publishing companies like Bandai, Ubisoft and Square Enix. Is it possible for beginners to propose ideas for big companies? and if so then how? please we need a detailed answer if possible. Thanx in advance.

*Note: we're NOT saying that we want to be employees in the company, what we mean it is more like working together with the company in the way that we give them the idea of the game and they develop it and then both sides benefit.

Advertisement

I don't think that something like this is possible. One thing you have to consider is that the idea is actually the easiest part of creating a game. Also as you said you are lacking the experience to develop it yourself. This also means that you are unable to know wether your idea can actually be realized.

In addition to that most publishers don't want to hear about your idea at all. This is because it could happen that they already have a similar project. To avoid that you try and sue them over this they will simply not listen to your idea.

1 hour ago, Raigon said:

Is it possible for beginners to propose ideas for big companies?

No, it isn't.

Purely for legal liability reasons, game companies do not take solicitations from third parties on game ideas. It opens them up to cases were you propose a game they're not interested in right now, then some years later long after forgetting about you someone else proposes something vaguely similar and they start it up, and then you sue them for stealing your idea. Tossing your idea directly into the shredder without even glancing at the title is _by far_ the smartest thing for them to do.

Let's not also forget the company's employees' own creativity. Why would anyone want to sign up to work on _your_ idea instead of working on _their own_ idea? Same applies to a large company like Ubisoft; why would they work with an unproven and unknown outside party instead of greenlighting one of the countless game ideas their own employees are kicking around by the thousands?

That said, it is entirely possible to be approached by such a company if you make a prototype that's widely known and received. It was common some years back for companies to approach students in competitions like IGF or IGC to hire the team to remake the game as a commercial project. The most famous example of that is Valve's Portal ("inspired" from the student game Narbacular Drop). The important bit is that the students didn't approach Value, but rather Valve approached the students, after they already put a solid year+ of very hard work into a competition-grade student game and demonstrated first-hand that their ideas were actually original and clever, that the core concept actually worked as a game, and that the students could actually do meaningful work coding and designing the game.

8 hours ago, Raigon said:

*Note: we're NOT saying that we want to be employees in the company, what we mean it is more like working together with the company in the way that we give them the idea of the game and they develop it and then both sides benefit.

In order for them to benefit, you've actually got to bring something of value to the table, such as experience/competency/talent/money that they don't already have. An idea by itself doesn't have any value at all, so is the same as coming to the table empty handed. That's a fact that might take a while to become evident...

If you want to give it to someone so they can make it, just go ahead and write about your ideas. If they're amazing, and people like them, maybe they'll end up inspiring something similar in a real product one day.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Luhan M.
      I'm nearly finishing my Pong game, and I was wondering if I should encapsulate things such as physics, rendering, sound, in such a small game.
    • By standinonstilts
      Hi, I am new to Game Development and am currently making my first game in Unity using c#. I am a second year uni student studying computer science (internet security specialization). I am new to unity and have had trouble understanding how the game engine actually functions and how I should use the engine to my advantage when programming. Currently I am making a RPG and want to implement an efficient and scalable item database. My plan is to store all items in the game in an xml database using the built in unity xml serializer. I have an abstract class item -> weapon, armour, potion, ring etc. Each of these classes have respective values (damage, cost etc.). For a relatively generic and straightforward item system: How would you organize your code? What interfaces/classes/other would you implement; why? In your experience what kinds of issues have you run into and how did you work around them? Is there any other advice with regards to rpg design in general?
    • By Effekseer
      Effekseer Project develops "Effekseer," which is visual software for creating open source games; on November 1, I released "Effekseer 1.3," which is the latest major version release. With Effekseer, you can easily create various visual effects simply by specifying different parameters.

Effekseer is a tool to create various visual effects used in games and others. You can create various visual effects such as explosion, light emission, and particles. Effekseer's effect creation tool works only on Windows. However, the created visual effects can be viewed on Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, Android, and other environments using plugins runtime / plugins such as DirectX, OpenGL, and Unity.
      Effekseer 1.3 is an updated version of Effekseer 1.2 released in June 2016.
      This update contains the following changes:
      -Addition of a file viewer that makes it easy to manage effect files;
      -Improvements in UI such as adding icons for easy understanding of editing status;
      -Addition of a function to read FBX as a 3D model file;
      -Addition of parameters for easier control of the effects.
      In addition to Unity, I have added plugins / libraries to UnrealEngine 4 and Cocos2d-x.
      This makes it possible to play effects in most major development environments.Besides that, more than 70 new sample effects have been added and many bugs have been fixed.
      Effekseer 1.3 is available on the project website.
      The license for the software is the MIT license.

Effekseer 
      http://effekseer.github.io/

Github
      https://github.com/effekseer/Effekseer

View full story
    • By khawk
      The latest Game Dev Unchained podcast is now available. This episode sits down with Rhianna Pratchett to discuss her work on the Tombraider series, Mirror's Edge, and Heavenly Sword. She also talks about her views on women in the games industry and her journey as a writer for games.

View full story
    • By Emerald_Eel_Entertainment
      Forest-themed levels in 3D linear games seem to be tricky to pull off. I primarily refer to first person games though this can easily be applied to third person games and possibly top-down games.
      Older games were limited by the hardware used at the time so texture space and polygon counts were important to manage. These games uses a flat texture of trees to create the illusion of depth or create rocky cliff walls to obscure parts of the scene the player is not meant to view.

An example of a linear forest level is Forest Edge from Disney's Donald Duck: Goin' Quakers on the PlayStation 1.

A relatively recent example of a linear forest level are portions the Outlands White Forest from Half-Life 2: Episode 2 on the PC. You can see that it looks more like a small narrow valley. For gameplay and readability it works well and doesn't feel artificial though it's not quite a dense forest.

Outlast 2 did have areas set in tree-filled areas but the only indication of not being able to go through some bushes or trees are invisible barriers, which supposedly works but feels very artificial in my opinion.

Some games in recent years like The Forest and Ark: Survival Evolved have made fully explorable forest levels but they are non-linear open world games. Since the respective games aren't linear in nature they have no need to funnel players through areas designed to be traversed.

How can depth and believability be achieved without making the player confused or lose their direction? How can making a linear forest level be done without making the environment appear artificial?
      I created this topic as I'd love to hear what you guys think. I don't think there's a right or wrong way going about making a 3D linear forest level.
  • Advertisement