• Advertisement

Simple Crossword Puzzle Game

Hi guys, I'm trying to make a crossword puzzle game for practice.

Sorry but I've no idea on where to start.

It should be basic game where the user must enter the word in the correct place and nothing else. (I am sure you know how to play crosswords!)
I have to export it to Android and (if possible) to iOS.

What engine would I want use?

I thought to use Unity in order to develop it but I'm not very good with it (and, honestly, I don't like it that much)
How is Unreal Engine 4 with Basic 2D Games like this one? If I could use UE4 it would be better because I know more C++ than C#. 

I also thought about making this app with a "basic" IDE such as Android Studio (and) xCode but I would have to do the work twice and I want to avoid that if possible.

Does anyone know if there is a library or something useful for making crossword games?

Thank you very much for the answers and have a nice day!

I apologize for the bad English but I'm not American/English.

Edoardo

Edited by Edoardo396

Advertisement

You will generally be more efficient working with tools you know better. So while you say you aren't very good with Unity, you're still likely better at it than Unreal (as it sounds like you've never used Unreal before). 

In Unreal this is something you'd probably build entirely in Blueprints, without ever needing to touch the C++ aspects of the engine.

Given that you want to support two fairly divergent platforms (iOS and Android), I think Unity is probably your best bet. The experience you gain building this game with Unity will, if nothing else, improve your ability to use Unity.

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother with a "game engine."  That's a lot of overhead with no benefit for a simple crossword game.  I would use a hybrid app framework such as Xamarin or Nativescript.  You can write one codebase, use basic native UI elements, and compile for both Android and iOS.  Nativescript uses Javascript/Typescript and a basic HTML-like markup for the UI.  Xamarin.Forms uses C#, .Net, and XAML for the UI.

I would probably recommend Xamarin specifically.  It is easier to get running right out of the box (setting up a Nativescript development environment will be a test of your patience) plus it is going to be more familiar to software developers (it uses Visual Studio, .Net, etc.) whereas Nativescript uses all web technologies (Javascript, Node, Angular, etc).

40 minutes ago, Edoardo396 said:

How is Unreal Engine 4 with Basic 2D Games like this one?

Like dropping a napalm bomb on a spider.

Unreal is a extremely powerful engine, advised for 3D games or 2D games with lot's of effects. Making this game on a engine like unreal is a practice in precision.

I think you should look into gameMaker for this or even just using OpenGL.

45 minutes ago, jpetrie said:

You will generally be more efficient working with tools you know better. So while you say you aren't very good with Unity, you're still likely better at it than Unreal (as it sounds like you've never used Unreal before). 

In Unreal this is something you'd probably build entirely in Blueprints, without ever needing to touch the C++ aspects of the engine.

Given that you want to support two fairly divergent platforms (iOS and Android), I think Unity is probably your best bet. The experience you gain building this game with Unity will, if nothing else, improve your ability to use Unity.

Actually, I have worked on some simple projects in Unreal and used both C++ and Blueprint, but in Unity I have never done something more than following tutorials because I found it "confusing".

11 minutes ago, missionctrl said:

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother with a "game engine."  That's a lot of overhead with no benefit for a simple crossword game.  I would use a hybrid app framework such as Xamarin or Nativescript.  You can write one codebase, use basic native UI elements, and compile for both Android and iOS.  Nativescript uses Javascript/Typescript and a basic HTML-like markup for the UI.  Xamarin.Forms uses C#, .Net, and XAML for the UI.

I would probably recommend Xamarin specifically.  It is easier to get running right out of the box (setting up a Nativescript development environment will be a test of your patience) plus it is going to be more familiar to software developers (it uses Visual Studio, .Net, etc.) whereas Nativescript uses all web technologies (Javascript, Node, Angular, etc).

Yes, I thought about that either but I'm at level zero and I should start learning both XAMARIN and "advanced" C# and I also want to practice on game engines (if possible). 

And I have never studied Javascript, Node, Angular, etc.. but I already know some c# 'cause we study it at school and it's more like C++. 

I apologize for the bad English but I'm not American/English.

Edo

Edited by Edoardo396

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By nihitori
      The Emotional Music Vol. I pack focuses on beautiful and esoteric orchestral music, capable of creating truly emotive and intimate moods. It features detailed chamber strings, cello and piano as the main instruments, resulting in a subtle and elegant sound never before heard in video game royalty-free music assets.

The pack includes 5 original tracks, as well as a total of 47 loops based on these tracks (long loops for simple use and short loops for custom / complex music layering).

Unity Asset Store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/107032
      Unreal Engine Marketplace link: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/emotional-music-vol-i

A 15 seconds preview of each main track is available on Soundcloud:

• By Snaked
      Im working in this project for 1 year .... mostly i develop a tool and databases for make the different maps and now i'm doing the client for play the game
      Tell me if you like it......
      this is a capture of how is viewing atm

https://youtu.be/9251v4wDTQ0
    • By RoKabium Games
      Another one of our new UI for #screenshotsaturday. This is the inventory screen for showing what animal fossils you have collected so far. #gamedev #indiedev #sama
    • By Dave Haylett
      I'm using WriteableBitmaps in my project, and the tiffbitmapencoder and tiffbitmapdecoder classes to save off and restore a certain large graphic file from a WriteableBitmap to hard disc (the image is too big for the PNGbitmapencoder/decoder).
      This is working ok, but I'd like to encode to and decode from memory if possible, instead of having to save to disc. This is because, as part of the user experience this massive image can get wiped/cut down, and it takes a few precious seconds to reconstruct it again from scratch (which is also part of the user experience), but I can't afford the memory to just clone the whole image into another bitmap and clone it back again when needed, instead of rebuilding.
      Compressing it to TIF and holding in memory until it's needed again seems a viable option, but currently I can only compress/decompress to/from a file on disc.
      I've tried using MemoryStream instead of FileStream, and even though the encoder seems to like it, the decoder doesn't.
      Is it possible for me to achieve this?
    • By Dave Haylett
      Hi everyone. I need some help with my project. It's a 2D-graphics-heavy WPF front-end app written in C#, which talks to two Access 2000 databases (yes I know, it's all I've got). It will be distributed freely on the internet, and so will be being used by Windows users of various installations/versions of Windows, Office, etc.
      One of the two databases (let's call it A), is intended to be read-only, and will be distributed with the app. It has half a dozen relational tables which I as the developer have populated, and is connected to in the app via OleDB Jet 4 with SQL querying the data now and then as the user uses the front-end. The database will be replaced whenever I release an update to the app.
      Database B is read/write, and contains end-user preferences, for example when they favourite something in my front-end, a Favourites table in here gets appended to. This database is not distributed with my app, and should not be overwritten, as it will lose user prefs, etc. and annoy my users.
      Whenever my app is run by a user, during initialisation database A will suck in the user data from database B (using simple SQL SELECT * INTO...), so that all the tables can be joined together by the SQL in database A (to include user prefs/favourites in SQL queries), and whenever the user favourites something, a record is created both in A (for the short-term session) and B (permanently). Database B isn't just about holding favourites, there is other user data in here as well, so there are 3 or 4 tables in B.
      So far, this is all working fine and I'm happy...
      Unfortunately my app is currently 32-bit, and it now needs to break the 32-bit memory barrier what with the size and volume of the graphics I'm pulling in (using the HDD is not really an option, as different graphics are needed kind of instantly and the hard disc would be being hosed and the app dog-slow otherwise, I suspect even off an SSD).
      I'm using VS2015, and switching to 64-bit will probably fix the memory problem, but it breaks Jet 4.0. I'm sure this is old news to most of you.
      To try to keep with 32-bit (and Jet4) but get the memory I need I've tried the -largeaddressaware toggle, and I've tried the editbin suggestion, but I just can't get these solutions to work in VS2015 no matter how hard I try. Are these definitely 100% solutions to 2gb memory limit in 32-bit applications? Should they always work? Am I dumb in being unable to get this to work?
      So otherwise I'm resigned to migrating to 64-bit, and having to get around the database issue, not the memory issue.
      My users will be using a variety of Windows versions (probably 7 and 10), and I'm sure various versions of Office, and so my solution for querying my two Access databases needs to be pretty open if possible.
      Googling has suggested I switch from JET4 to ACE12, but this is apparently requiring me to uninstall Office 2000 and install a 64-bit version (which I don't have), so I can't use it, and I suspect any users who also have an old version of Office installed won't be able to use it either?
      Googling has also suggested I use MS SQL Server. This sounds fine if there's such a thing as a "lite" local version which can manage database access, but I still need to somehow get the data from the databases (A.mdb and B.mdb) into the SQL Server each time the users fire up my app.
      The only solution I can think of at the minute, is to export all the tables from database A into CSVs every time I update the data in there, and have the app import them in a lame way, and also convert database B into some crappy text file which gets written to whenever the user changes a preference. I'd much rather use SQL to do all this if possible, as when the user browses around the app, queries involving joining several tables in A are regularly created and executed to adjust the user's experience/return search results/etc.
      So to summarise my misery, is there either an easy reliable way for me to keep with 32-bit/Jet4 and be able to address >2gb. Or is there instead an easy reliable way for me to switch to 64-bit and successfully query two Access databases without requiring all my users to have 64-bit Office installed?
      Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help.
  • Advertisement