Is it possible to change the Battle System in RPG Maker MV?

Started by
8 comments, last by McGrane 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm a brand spanking new baby to making games, with zero knowledge of coding. Also new to the site so I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question. But i've been wanting to know where to begin with manipulating the battle system. RPG Maker MV seems to restrict you to two types of battle, plain view with enemies in front and side view battling.

However, I'd like to move things around the screen. Similar to how trainers in Pokemon come in and out before a battle. What should I look into for this?

Advertisement

A game maker forum could perhaps help you.

Also, you may want to skip this for now, take one of the options you're given at this point, and move forward. If you like programming, this won't be the last game you make, and there are likely bigger problems than how to arrive at a battle.

In the general sense, pre-made software has limitations in what you can change. If you could change anything, you're back at a regular programming language, thus defeating the idea of being easier to program than using a regular language.

Your question could have a solution (I honestly don't know), but at some point you'll find things truly aren't possible.

I don't know details...

But I DO know that RPG Maker let's you make changes to lots of things, including the battle system.  The catch is that you have to either find the code somewhere, or learn the programming language and make it happen yourself(Ruby is the last language I've seen RPGMaker use, maybe the new version changed).

I honestly disagree with part of what Alberth is saying there, though it depends on the situation.  RPGMaker provides tons of stuff that is specific to the game style(top down JRPG games).  If you only have to change a few things to make it work for you, and you can then use all those other things it includes, then it will be a much better choice for this project then coding it in a "regular language."  Of course, if your project doesn't fit the software, either because it isn't even the same genre, or because you want to do too much stuff that it doesn't include, then you are better finding something else.

If RPGMaker fits your project, I recommend you head to their forums.  They have people more knowledgeable about their scripting language, and may be able to point you to some scripts that have already been created(if they have, that is).  This forum IS a game development forum, but when it comes to specific software like that, there are less of us here that know it compared to the dedicated forums.

I'm at work so I don't have access to all of my bookmarks and links, but start by searching for "yanfly".  Probably the best known of the plugin creators for RPG Maker.  There are tons of ways to change just about everything in RPG Maker through plugins, and even more if you learn to script yourself.  It's never going to give you the options of working with a more complex language in a program like Unreal of Unity, but I think there's plenty for a beginner.

I don't know how long you've been playing around with RPG Maker, if you've already made a quick game or two, but Alberth also has a good point about picking one of the built in options and moving along with it.  Learn the limitations of what's already there and then decide what you want different.

And I expect you'll get some a few responses telling you not to even bother with RPG Maker and start learning a "real" program, but don't let that discourage you.  I'm not an expert, but I'm also not a total beginner and I'm working on an RPG Maker MV project right now.  The games that I really want to make are going to take time, and while I continue to build up the skills I need to work on those I'm working on some short RPG Maker projects to showcase my storytelling and design skills.

3 minutes ago, kburkhart84 said:

I don't know details...

But I DO know that RPG Maker let's you make changes to lots of things, including the battle system.  The catch is that you have to either find the code somewhere, or learn the programming language and make it happen yourself(Ruby is the last language I've seen RPGMaker use, maybe the new version changed).

Newest version uses JavaScript.

I'd have to disagree with going with what you know works, rather than seeing if what you want can work.

I'd receive a lot of discouragement over making an open world mmo rpg, How ever I've been working on it for some time and I go with what will work for me, as an example.. I use GMS for my game project which requires a server and a client, after reading up I learnt that a GML server will not be able to support the amount of players and amount of activity my game will require.. so their suggestion ? make a four player coop game, or something like that. My answer ? I considered it, I won't be doing that, what could work ? So here I am learning Java, because a Java server for my GML client will work and satisfy my needs. 

10 hours ago, Xer0botXer0 said:

I'd receive a lot of discouragement over making an open world mmo rpg

Im not sure its really discouragment, Once you are on these fourms long enough, even a few weeks, you will see a lot of people (weekly/monthly) who all have the same post, "I want to make an MMO RPG". People advise against this, and thats because it is a mammoth task, it could take 20/30 people years to make this type of game, and as 1 person you could be 20/30 years. While it is good to use something you are interested in to learn, what happens 99% percent of the time you will hit a road block, and become very discouraged very quickly, and a lot of people give up. Its not out of malice that people tell you not to do this, its from personal experience, and its echod here on a daily basis by professional people who work in the gaming industry. The advantage of doing smaller projects first, is that you hit more of these problems early on, and learn from them. When your touching on so many systems of an MMO RPG, its easy to just jump to some other part when you get stuck at something, you could spend weeks avoiding problems that you may already learn how to fix doing smaller projects. I respect the drive and willingness to learn and not give up, but to see your looking at server code, while in another post wasnt sure about what try{}catch{} are, and a few other posts about not understanding some language basics, Id compare this to learning to walk before you run, but an MMO RPG is more like several back to back marathons.

I agree with the above, learn what you can on RPG maker, and when/if you outgrow it move on to the next stage. You will be more likely to stick with a project as long as you can see progress. And learn from your mistakes. Make as many as possible, The more mistakes you make, the more you will learn as to why they where mistakes

Are you one of the people who learnt this from personal experience or did you listen to the suggestions of others ? 

I'll be one of the people who learn this from personal experience. Yes it may take me 20/30 years, that's 20/30 years of experience in mmos instead of 20/30 years of experience in small projects that mean nothing to me. 

For clarity, I am not making an mmo in Java. I am making a server in Java. It's not as difficult as you present it to be, it's an exciting road ahead.

For the most part, the server of a game is what actually runs the game... with the client side of things handling the bare minimum of pretty much drawing and handling input / sending what the player wants to do to the server... the server then "runs the game" by handling all of the input from the players... so realistically.. making a Server in Java is easy yeah... 10 mins and you can write a basic server... but writing a server capable of handling masses of players.. becomes suddenly a lot more complex.. and youre almost certain to pick up more relevant experience from working on smaller projects .. though, everyone learns from different approaches and has different end goals.

47 minutes ago, Xer0botXer0 said:

Are you one of the people who learnt this from personal experience

My first post was probably something similar, although Ive never had much interest in MMO RPGs, it was probably a FPS or something along those lines. The same advice would have been given to me, and I also just shrugged my shoulders at the people, we all probably have. I'm not discouraging you. I, like most people here would like you to prove me wrong. I think when we all start we all have a little bit of a Expert Beginner complex. When i do see posts like yours, i always see them with a little fondness and nostalgia as like most of us its where my journey in gamedev started.

57 minutes ago, Xer0botXer0 said:

that's 20/30 years of experience in mmos instead of 20/30 years of experience in small projects that mean nothing to me. 

The point of doing smaller projects is that you will learn these concepts quicker, and then build up to larger projects. Your code is like lego, you can reuse pieces and blocks of code in your project, but you need a strong base if you want to build something huge - its harder to go back and fix it after you realize the design was wrong from the start.

This is all off topic from the original question, so I'm going to leave it at that and wish you all the best with your game. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement