• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By wobes
      Hi there. I am really sorry to post this, but I would like to clarify the delta compression method. I've read Quake 3 Networking Model: http://trac.bookofhook.com/bookofhook/trac.cgi/wiki/Quake3Networking, but still have some question. First of all, I am using LiteNetLib as networking library, it works pretty well with Google.Protobuf serialization. But then I've faced with an issue when the server pushes a lot of data, let's say 10 players, and server pushes 250kb/s of data with 30hz tickrate, so I realized that I have to compress it, let's say with delta compression. As I understood, the client and server both use unreliable channel. LiteNetLib meta file says that unreliable packet can be dropped, or duplicated; while sequenced channel says that packet can be dropped but never duplicated, so I think I have to use the sequenced channel for Delta compression? And do I have to use reliable channel for acknowledgment, or I can just go with sequenced, and send the StateId with a snapshot and not separately? 
      Thank you. 
    • By dp304
      Hello!
      As far as I understand, the traditional approach to the architecture of a game with different states or "screens" (such as a menu screen, a screen where you fly your ship in space, another screen where you walk around on the surface of a planet etc.) is to make some sort of FSM with virtual update/render methods in the state classes, which in turn are called in the game loop; something similar to this:
      struct State { virtual void update()=0; virtual void render()=0; virtual ~State() {} }; struct MenuState:State { void update() override { /*...*/ } void render() override { /*...*/ } }; struct FreeSpaceState:State { void update() override { /*...*/ } void render() override { /*...*/ } }; struct PlanetSurfaceState:State { void update() override { /*...*/ } void render() override { /*...*/ } }; MenuState menu; FreeSpaceState freespace; PlanetSurfaceState planet; State * states[] = {&menu, &freespace, &planet}; int currentState = 0; void loop() { while (!exiting) { /* Handle input, time etc. here */ states[currentState]->update(); states[currentState]->render(); } } int main() { loop(); } My problem here is that if the state changes only rarely, like every couple of minutes, then the very same update/render method will be called several times for that time period, about 100 times per second in case of a 100FPS game. This seems a bit to make dynamic dispatch, which has some performance penalty, pointless. Of course, one may argue that a couple hundred virtual function calls per second is nothing for even a not so modern computer, and especially nothing compared to the complexity of the render/update function in a real life scenario. But I am not quite sure. Anyway, I might have become a bit too paranoid about virtual functions, so I wanted to somehow "move out" the virtual function calls from the game loop, so that the only time a virtual function is called is when the game enters a new state. This is what I had in mind:
      template<class TState> void loop(TState * state) { while (!exiting && !stateChanged) { /* Handle input, time etc. here */ state->update(); state->render(); } } struct State { /* No update or render function declared here! */ virtual void run()=0; virtual ~State() {} }; struct MenuState:State { void update() { /*...*/ } void render() { /*...*/ } void run() override { loop<MenuState>(this); } }; struct FreeSpaceState:State { void update() { /*...*/ } void render() { /*...*/ } void run() override { loop<FreeSpaceState>(this); } }; struct PlanetSurfaceState:State { void update() { /*...*/ } void render() { /*...*/ } void run() override { loop<PlanetSurfaceState>(this); } }; MenuState menu; FreeSpaceState freespace; PlanetSurfaceState planet; State * states[] = {&menu, &freespace, &planet}; void run() { while (!exiting) { stateChanged = false; states[currentState]->run(); /* Runs until next state change */ } } int main() { run(); } The game loop is basically the same as the one before, except that it now exits in case of a state change as well, and the containing loop() function has become a function template.
      Instead of loop() being called directly by main(), it is now called by the run() method of the concrete state subclasses, each instantiating the function template with the appropriate type. The loop runs until the state changes, in which case the run() method shall be called again for the new state. This is the task of the global run() function, called by main().
      There are two negative consequences. First, it has become slightly more complicated and harder to maintain than the one above; but only SLIGHTLY, as far as I can tell based on this simple example. Second, code for the game loop will be duplicated for each concrete state; but it should not be a big problem as a game loop in a real game should not be much more complicated than in this example.
      My question: Is this a good idea at all? Does anybody else do anything like this, either in a scenario like this, or for completely different purposes? Any feedback is appreciated!
    • By svetpet
      Hello, I want to optimize the used memory in my game so that it supports low end devices - for instance iPhone 4s.
      I know that some of the main things I should look into are memory leaks, big textures and some game specific things, which occupy a lot of memory.
      To detect all that I am using MTuner on Windows and Instruments (Allocations) on XCode.
      What are you generally looking for when optimizing memory? What instruments are you using? My target platform is iOS.
    • By d3daywan
      【DirectX9 Get shader bytecode】
      I hook DrawIndexedPrimitive
          HookCode(PPointer(g_DeviceBaseAddr + $148)^,@NewDrawIndexedPrimitive, @OldDrawIndexedPrimitive);    
          function NewDrawIndexedPrimitive(const Device:IDirect3DDevice9;_Type: TD3DPrimitiveType; BaseVertexIndex: Integer; MinVertexIndex, NumVertices, startIndex, primCount: LongWord): HResult; stdcall;
          var
              ppShader: IDirect3DVertexShader9;
              _Code:Pointer;
              _CodeLen:Cardinal;
          begin
              Device.GetVertexShader(ppShader);//<------1.Get ShaderObject(ppShader)
              ppShader.GetFunction(nil,_CodeLen);
              GetMem(_Code,_CodeLen);
              ppShader.GetFunction(_Code,_CodeLen);//<----2.Get bytecode from ShaderObject(ppShader)
              Result:=OldDrawIndexedPrimitive(Self,_Type,BaseVertexIndex,MinVertexIndex, NumVertices, startIndex, primCount);
          end;
      【How to DirectX11 Get VSShader bytecode?】
      I hook DrawIndexed
          pDrawIndexed:=PPointer(PUINT_PTR(UINT_PTR(g_ImmContext)+0)^ + 12 * SizeOf(Pointer))^;
          HookCode(pDrawIndexed,@NewDrawIndexed,@OldDrawIndexed);
          procedure NewDrawIndexed(g_Real_ImmContext:ID3D11DeviceContext;IndexCount:     UINT;StartIndexLocation: UINT;BaseVertexLocation: Integer); stdcall;
          var
              game_pVertexShader: ID3D11VertexShader;
                  ppClassInstances: ID3D11ClassInstance;
                  NumClassInstances: UINT
          begin
              g_Real_ImmContext.VSGetShader(game_pVertexShader,ppClassInstances,NumClassInstances);    //<------1.Get ShaderObject(game_pVertexShader)
              .....//<----【2.Here's how to get bytecode from ShaderObject(game_pVertexShader)?】
              OldDrawIndexed(ImmContext, IndexCount, StartIndexLocation, BaseVertexLocation);
          end;

Another way:
      HOOK CreateVertexShader()
      but
      HOOK need to be created before the game CreateVertexShader, HOOK will not get bytecode if the game is running later,I need to get bytecode at any time like DirectX9
    • By shooter9688
      Once I needed a program for packing an atlas with 3d models. I could not find one, so I made it.
      Now it has only basic functionality. Should I improve it further? Does it need someone else?

Link to download(for Windows): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CLizcUAOsYnbdfyKCYDcGxmso79GPBuv
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Optimization How to implement control of the state of ui buttons?

Hello everyone!

Im using mvc framework for wrapper. So i have UIController, UIView for this problem.

The object of type UIView is display object and works as container(like in ActionScript). So it holds some static buttons wich control sound,fullscreen and etc. and another dynamic controls wich control the state and current rules of the game.

When the game is in different states  the buttons can be active or inactive for pressing, can be with different texts over them, wich can cause different functionallity to be performed in the controller.

So i have around 10-13 states of the game in wich the ui buttons are in different state so:

1. Control state of the buttons in the controller. It is not ok cuz the controller is more than 300 rows and its ugly for reading and understanding. It shouldnt be.
  2. To create custom object in the controller and to pass to it the ui buttons and with some function called changeState to set the appropriate appearance to the buttons.

How to structure and name that custom object to be enough descriptive. Or is there some well known pattern ? Or do u have better idea ?

Edited by amkamkamk
More descriptive

Advertisement

Conceptually, I'd say the model contains button state, or provide values for them, if you can derive them from other data in the model. If their state cannit be derived fully, then yes, the controller should provide any missing data values such that the viewer can reflect that in the display.

If the controller is bad, then I'd suggest to clean it up first. It takes some time, but in my experience it pays for itself. Making further changes in the controller is easier, faster, and with less errors.