• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
null;

Tile Transition Logic

This topic is 537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would I go about implementing tile smoothing?

Let's say there's a 3x3 set of grass tiles. I want the outside grass tiles to have some kind of outline, while the middle one blends in with the rest.

I don't really see a point in sharing any code, as I'm just asking for the implementation process.

Thank you to whoever replies!

Advertisement
27 minutes ago, null; said:

Let's say there's a 3x3 set of grass tiles. I want the outside grass tiles to have some kind of outline, while the middle one blends in with the rest.

If you mean an outline as in a dark drawn line, then that would probably be done with composition. Some kind of shader that scales the already rendered image, makes in black and renders the original over it.

If you meant a outline as in where a ground tile meets a water tile, those tiles are drawn that way, then linked in a tile set.

15 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

If you mean an outline as in a dark drawn line, then that would probably be done with composition. Some kind of shader that scales the already rendered image, makes in black and renders the original over it.

If you meant a outline as in where a ground tile meets a water tile, those tiles are drawn that way, then linked in a tile set.

I think I've thought of a better way of explaining my question, or what I want to accomplish.

How would I incorporate tile smoothing, so the edges aren't always jagged and pointed. Basically, just corner smoothing.

I think the term you want to search for is auto tiles.  I don't know much about there implementation but I think thats the term used to describe your diagram.

3 minutes ago, Infinisearch said:

I think the term you want to search for is auto tiles.  I don't know much about there implementation but I think thats the term used to describe your diagram.

That does seem to be the correct search term, thank you.

Like I said in my original post they are drawn that way:

You don't have to make one for each tile, however it is normal to make a few because then you can fill a full tile zone with them.

The edges are just smaller partial tiles.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!