• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By 7th_Continuum
      I'm trying to implement a frictional constraint using position based dynamics, but it is only half working. I am using the formulation in the paper "Unified Particle Physics for Real-Time Applications".
      Here is my implementation:
      Particle *np = particle->nbs[j].neighbour; vec3 r = particle->x - np->x; float r_length = glm::length(r); float distDiff = r_length - restDistance; if(distDiff >= 0 ) continue; //Frictional Constraint vec3 n = r/r_length; vec3 xxi = particle->x - xi[particle->getIndex()]; vec3 xxj = np->x - xi[np->getIndex()]; vec3 tangentialDisplacement = (xxi - xxj) - glm::dot(xxi - xxj, n) * n; float td_length = glm::length(tangentialDisplacement); float genMass = ( imass / (imass + imass) ); if(td_length < (staticFriciton * distDiff)){ particle->x += genMass * tangentialDisplacement; np->x += -genMass * tangentialDisplacement; }else{ float upper = kineticFriction * distDiff; particle->x += genMass * tangentialDisplacement * std::min(upper/td_length, 1.f); np->x += -genMass * tangentialDisplacement * std::min(upper/td_length, 1.f); }  
    • By ScyllaBus
      Using my loop based on this: https://gafferongames.com/post/fix_your_timestep/
      Trying to get my game to run at fixed 60FPS (both update and render) for all machines. Studied the link above and have been stuck on this game loop for weeks trying to get it to work smoothly to glide this image across the screen. I had dealt constantly with jittering and possible tearing. I can't recall what I did to fix it exactly, but I believe it may have something to do with not rounding a variable properly (such as delta).

So yeah, currently the loop works but I'm afraid as I develop the game more and have to render more, eventually something I'm doing in my loop could cause slowdowns or larger CPU usage. Does the structure of the game loop below seem okay or is there something I can do to optimize it?
      The 2D game is a generic sidescroller. Not too heavy on physics, mainly just simple platformer physics. I feel as though I'm using way too much CPU.

void Game::mainLoop() { double fps = 60.0f; int frameSkip = 5; int deltaSkip = frameSkip; double miliPerFrame = 1000.0 / fps; double xx = 0.0f; double playSpeed = 5; Uint64 previous = SDL_GetPerformanceCounter(); double accumulator = 0.0f; bool shouldRender = false; bool running = true; while(running){ Uint64 current = SDL_GetPerformanceCounter(); double elapsed = (current-previous) * 1000; elapsed = (double) (elapsed / SDL_GetPerformanceFrequency() ); previous = current; // handleEvents() handleEvents(); // when we press escape reset x to 0 to keep testing // when he goes off screen if(key_states[SDL_SCANCODE_ESCAPE]) xx = 0; accumulator+=elapsed; if(accumulator >= miliPerFrame * frameSkip) accumulator = 0; shouldRender = accumulator >= miliPerFrame; while(accumulator >= miliPerFrame){ // update() //cout << playSpeed << endl; double delta = ceil(elapsed); if(delta > deltaSkip) delta = 1; //if(elapsed >= 1) delta = elapsed; xx+= playSpeed * delta;// * (1 / fps); // /update() accumulator -= miliPerFrame; //get what's left over } if(shouldRender){ // render() SDL_SetRenderDrawColor(gameRenderer, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF); SDL_RenderClear(gameRenderer); imageController.drawImage("colorkeytest", floor(xx), 0); SDL_RenderPresent(gameRenderer); // /render() } } }  
    • By SR D
      I've been learning how to do vertex buffers plus index buffers using Ogre, but I believe this is mostly the same across several engines. I have this question about using vertex buffers + index buffers.
      Using DynamicGeometryGameState (from Ogre) as an example, I noticed that when drawing the cubes, they were programmatically drawn in order within the createIndexBuffer() function like so ...

const Ogre::uint16 c_indexData[3 * 2 * 6] = { 0, 1, 2, 2, 3, 0, //Front face 6, 5, 4, 4, 7, 6, //Back face 3, 2, 6, 6, 7, 3, //Top face 5, 1, 0, 0, 4, 5, //Bottom face 4, 0, 3, 3, 7, 4, //Left face 6, 2, 1, 1, 5, 6, //Right face };
      From the above, the front face is drawn using the vertices 0, 1, 2, 2, 3, 0. But when reading in thousands of vertices from a file, one obviously doesn't code an array specifying which vertices make up a face.
      So how is this done when working with a large number of vertices?
    • By Josheir
      I am working on a SFML c++ program that uses two rendering windows passed from main to the function drawmessage in a class textmessage.  I was using the second window for displaying debug information that is displayed because I could not get the appropriate information from the SFML object.
      With that said, here is the part of that function that works the first time through and does not on the second usage.  I really have changed the code to try and get it working.   For example I created the two objects locally here for testing.  I am sorry about the extra commented statements they help convey the message too.
      There is the same problem though, the statement :     string test =     message_holder10.getString(); is working and shows "asty" on every run.  On the first run of the program there is a display of the text correctly however on the second call there is no display of it.  (I am stepping through until the display command.)
      I feel like I have exhausted my tries so I am asking for help please.
      If it is the font I will just die, I really don't think it is.

sf::Text message_holder10;
                  sf::RenderWindow windowtype3(sf::VideoMode(700, 1000), "a");

if ((space_is_used && on_last_line) || (space_is_used && ((line_number) == (total_lines - 2))))
                  {

//string temp_string = message::Get_Out_Bound_String();
                      //int length_of_string = temp_string.length();
                      sf::Font Fontforscore;
                      if (gflag == 0)
                      {
                          gflag = 1;

if (!Fontforscore.loadFromFile("ARIALBD.ttf"))
                          {
                              exit(1);
                          }

message_holder10.setFont(Fontforscore);
                          message_holder10.setCharacterSize(100);
                          message_holder10.setFillColor(sf::Color::Red);
                          message_holder10.setOrigin(0, 0);
                          message_holder10.setPosition(0, 0);
                          windowtype2.close();
                      }
                      message_holder10.setString("asty");

//int y_for_space = display_y_setting + (total_lines - 2) * each_vertical_offset_is;
                          //int this_width = 0;

//float x = message_holder.getLocalBounds().width;

//message_holder.setPosition( ( (first_width - x )/2), y_for_space);

//windowtype2.close();

string test =     message_holder10.getString();

windowtype3.clear();
                          windowtype3.draw(message_holder10);
                          windowtype3.display();

//windowtype.display();

Wait_For_Space_Press();

/////////////////////////

Before, the :      windowtype3.display()  without the clear was drawing other text in this call, just not this one particular text message with it!

Thank you so much I am wondering what it can be,

Josheir
    • By Tispe
      Hi
      I want to test out a polymorphic entity component system where the idea is that the components of an entity are "compositioned" using templated multiple inheritance. But I am running into an issue because I am stacking a bunch of methods with the same names inside a class (but they have different signatures). I want these methods to be overloaded by the template type but my compiler says the access is ambiguous. I have issues making them unambiguous with the using declaration because the paramter pack expansion causes a syntax error.
      Can anyone here give me some advice on this?

template <class T> class component { T m_data; protected: component() {}; ~component() {}; public: void set(const T& data) { m_data = data; }; }; template <class ...Ts> class entity : public component<Ts>... { public: entity() {}; ~entity() {}; //using component<Ts>::set...; // syntax error }; struct position { float x{}; float y{}; float z{}; }; struct velocity { float x{}; float y{}; float z{}; }; int main() { entity<position, velocity> myEntity; position pos = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f }; velocity vel = { 2.0f, 2.0f, 2.0f }; myEntity.set(pos); // error C2385: ambiguous access of 'set' //myEntity.set(vel); return 0; }  
  • Popular Now