• Advertisement

Free Open Source Collaborative Fantasy Card Game - join us

Arcmage is a libre card game

We’re a small community of free culture-loving individuals, creating a free card game. A game that’s truly open, liberated, free & gratis. A game that is fun to play both casually and competitive, and that is a joy for your eyes. We are challenging the industry by showing what united card game players and developers can create, and by sharing with the world. Welcome to the revolution.

We're looking for people that can help us grow the existing game and are in need of

Players

• try out our game online or with friends using printed cards
  • give positive and constructing feedback to improve the gameplay
  • find loopholes in the general rules or the card rules

Card Inventors

• create card rules, think about strategics, mechanics, synergies
  • create fun to play pre-constructed decks,
  • safeguard the card's strengths and balance throughout the entire game

Editors & Writers

• native english speakers that can improve the cards and the professionalism
  • constructing the lore, the background story, and so much more

Artists

• all our artwork done by Santiago Iborra is of very high quality and it is a challenge to match his level and style
  • all our artwork is published using GPLv2 or above
  • we're looking for people who enjoy creating fantasy artwork and that are willing to contribute

Communications & PR

• help spread the word, and increase our online visbility
  • organize and manage communication (internally towards our community  and externally to others)
  • manage/create our social media presence (non existing for now)

Where is arcmage today?

When looking for a project to join, it makes sense to look at the current status and see that it will deliver something, so your effort/time/creativity will not go to waste.

We've already came a long way, arcmage has

• a finished rule set and we have online video tutorials
  • a set of finished cards that go into two ready to play pre-constructed decks
  • a number of playable, work in progress decks & cards
  • a well defined general design document (in collaboration with wtactics.org). See our wiki
  • an extensive quality grade art collection (in collaboration with wtactics.org)
  • an online card database and card generation tool
  • professional downloadable print-ready pdf's
  • an online browser version of the game

In fact arcmage is playable today, but we need your help to get it to the next level (more cards, more decks, more noise in the social media)

What is in it for you?

All contributors to arcmage are unpaid volunteers, people who love to play collectable card games, but don't like the commerce of it all.
All your work will be enjoyable by anyone, free of charge, free to adapt, free to co-create, free to play.

Kind regards,
Nico Goeminne

Advertisement

I've always enjoyed games like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Hearthstone, and this really reaches out to me. I've been playing TCG's for years, and I'd be glad to be a Card Inventor for you guys, creating strategies and new decks.

Aach06@gmail.com

Discord : Blastmastercrash#6265

Hey,

That would be cool, first steps of course is to play, and look at the existing decks. And hopefully have some fun.

we're on the Wtactics discord channel, but not so active there.

Kind regards,

Nico

This is awesome!  I love playing the Pokemon TGC game and can help by playing and offering feedback on my days off from work at least until the new semester starts.

Hello ProMiriel,

You're most welcome to join our project, although, since we are making a card game (real world and online) we are not in need of a sound designer/musician, but I'm sure there are plenty of other ways you could contribute (e.g. playtest, card design, editor, communications/pr, ....)

Kind regards,

Nico

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By 123iamking
      Let me explain why I call it: 3rd person camera-based movement (honestly, I don't know if that's the official name)
      In GTA Vice city, you can see, when you turn the camera, the main character turns with the camera. When you press Back, the character walks backward, press Left, the character walks left-ward. I call this 3rd person character-based movement.
      In GTA SanAndreas (also GTA IV, GTA V, Sleeping Dogs, Prince of Persia,... ), when you turn the camera, the character won't turn, but the camera rotate orbit around the character, when you press Back, the character walks toward the camera, when you press Left, the character walk toward the left of the camera. So I call this 3rd person camera-based movement.
      So I see that 3rd person camera-based movement is pretty popular, I wonder if there is a good implement of 3rd person camera-based movement (that's from open-source, books, forums,... I tried searching but I haven't found any) so that I can learn from.
    • By Effekseer
      Effekseer Project develops "Effekseer," which is visual software for creating open source games; on November 1, I released "Effekseer 1.3," which is the latest major version release. With Effekseer, you can easily create various visual effects simply by specifying different parameters.

Effekseer is a tool to create various visual effects used in games and others. You can create various visual effects such as explosion, light emission, and particles. Effekseer's effect creation tool works only on Windows. However, the created visual effects can be viewed on Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, Android, and other environments using plugins runtime / plugins such as DirectX, OpenGL, and Unity.
      Effekseer 1.3 is an updated version of Effekseer 1.2 released in June 2016.
      This update contains the following changes:
      -Addition of a file viewer that makes it easy to manage effect files;
      -Improvements in UI such as adding icons for easy understanding of editing status;
      -Addition of a function to read FBX as a 3D model file;
      -Addition of parameters for easier control of the effects.
      In addition to Unity, I have added plugins / libraries to UnrealEngine 4 and Cocos2d-x.
      This makes it possible to play effects in most major development environments.Besides that, more than 70 new sample effects have been added and many bugs have been fixed.
      Effekseer 1.3 is available on the project website.
      The license for the software is the MIT license.

Effekseer 
      http://effekseer.github.io/

Github
      https://github.com/effekseer/Effekseer

View full story
    • By _Engine_
      Atum engine is a newcomer in a row of game engines. Most game engines focus on render
      techniques in features list. The main task of Atum is to deliver the best toolset; that’s why,
      as I hope, Atum will be a good light weighted alternative to Unity for indie games. Atum already
      has fully workable editor that has an ability to play test edited scene. All system code has
      simple ideas behind them and focuses on easy to use functionality. That’s why code is minimized
      as much as possible.
      Currently the engine consists from:
      - Scene Editor with ability to play test edited scene;
      - Powerful system for binding properties into the editor;
      - Render system based on DX11 but created as multi API; so, adding support of another GAPI
        is planned;
      - Controls system based on aliases;
      - Font system based on stb_truetype.h;
      - Support of PhysX 3.0, there are samples in repo that use physics;
      - Network code which allows to create server/clinet; there is some code in repo which allows
        to create a simple network game
      I plan to use this engine in multiplayer game - so, I definitely will evolve the engine. Also
      I plan to add support for mobile devices. And of course, the main focus is to create a toolset
      that will ease games creation.
      Link to repo on source code is - https://github.com/ENgineE777/Atum
      Video of work process in track based editor can be at follow link: 

• By JeZ-l-Lee

Hi,
      We are about finished with our new word spelling game: "LettersFall 110%™".
      We need help testing the Android version of the game now.
      You can get everything at below GitHub web page:
      https://github.com/JeZ-l-Lee/LettersFall_110Percent
      (Android version link on Google Play, HTML5 version link, & full source code)

Game source code is 100% M.I.T. open-source!
      Game was made using current AppGameKit 2.
      Let us know about any issues or suggestions for improvement.
      Many thanks!

JeZxLee

• By Levi Lohman
      First thing's first, let's address what is perhaps the greatest flaw any open world game has, emptiness. I'm not saying that every open world game has this flaw, but if this flaw goes unchecked, it can cripple an otherwise brilliant game. Many games have overcome this and have risen to be legends such as The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, Assassin's Creed: Origins, and (my personal favorite) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, the one thing that no-one can deny about these games is that they have limits. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, rather the fact that those games have limits is probably what made them great because the developers could work extra hard to make everything they offered the finest they could. Be it through a colorful and motley cast of characters, utterly unique content, and compelling gameplay. But I'm not here to talk about your average ordinary Open World games, I'm talking about a special, new, and somewhat unrefined form of video game that offers an endless world to explore.
      An example: No Man's Sky. No Man's Sky was incredibly appealing because it offered a game world whose vastness was beyond compare. It offered an endless amount of places to go, but that was it's undoing. Video games aren't just about going places, they are about doing things. When I played No Man's Sky, what I got most interested in was finding upgrades for the ship and multi-tool. But it lost it's appeal to me because I realized that despite the fact that you had an endless amount of places to go, you had a severely limited amount of things to do. Sure you could interact with the different species and scan the local fauna, but it was all the same to me, the multi-tool was your primary method of interacting with the world, but you could only interact with the world in certain particular ways.
      Another example: Minecraft. Minecraft came close to defeating the flaw of an endless open world to the point where No Man's Sky tried to mimic it to save itself. You can build anything in Minecraft, and because of that, it can offer an endless amount of things to do. But it isn't the kind of thing that appeals to everyone, probably because not everyone has fun being creative just for the sake of creativity. The most creative thing I built was a flat-sided square building, first out of cobblestone, then out of solid stone, to serve as a home base for exploration, but what really appealed to me was crafting because crafting was doing something that could enhance future ways to do other things. I did have fun exploring, but once you've seen one cave, you've seen them all. So in a nutshell, Minecraft offered an endless world and an endless amount of things to do, but it did so in a way that they didn't match up well and doesn't appeal to everyone.
      Some of my favorite games were (and are) Super Mario Sunshine, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 1, 2, and 3, Okami, Rayman 3, Far Cry 4 and Primal, and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. What they all have in common is that they're sandbox games. Orthodox sandbox games generally revolve around collecting things or fulfilling goals to collect things, but collecting those things rarely serves to enhance gameplay other than to make a way to collect more of those things. But despite this, I keep coming back to those games. After thinking long and hard, I decided that what keeps me coming back is discovery and testing the limits of my skills.
      Now to the hypothesis. The appeal to an open world game is endless discovery and endless things to do. But even with procedural generation, it is impossible to make a game like that without things getting a little stale and similar. Even if the game implements discoverable things that add new mechanics, eventually the players will run out of new things to discover and new things to do. But there might be a method to do it in a way which can allow the player to have a number of mechanics, tactics, and methods at their disposal so great that it would be impossible for one player to uncover them all. Instead of a discovery being just an achievement or new gameplay element, it should also offer the possibility to unlock more achievements and elements depending on how the player matches up or arranges the discovery with others. That way even if the number of discoveries is limited, the possibilities each discovery offers are beyond what anyone could do by themselves. And maybe a good way to go about it is to make the number of uses each discovery has limited so that the player has to constantly venture out in the world to get the most out of their favorite discoveries. But above all, the challenges offered to the player must not call for one specific mechanic, there might be a few that would make the challenge easier, but even if using any other mechanic would make conquering the achievement harder, it would encourage players to test the limits of their creativity and skills without making them feel restricted. How could something like this be implemented? I don't know. That's why I'm posting it here like a thesis so that maybe someone with the right capabilities would read this and make the game I and possibly many others have been waiting a very long time for. I had a few ideas myself, but that is a post for another time.
      A few games that I feel helped me realize these ideas were Megaman Battle Network and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Because of the number of abilities and mechanics they offered) Magika (Because of the mixing up of abilities) and Super Mario Odessey (for the different captures changing up the mechanics).
      Like my ideas, want to add or expand on them, or have some of your own? Please, leave a reply!
  • Advertisement