Sketchbook Pro or GIMP for Tilesets?

Started by
3 comments, last by JohnTheRipper88 6 years, 9 months ago

Hello fellow game developers,

I'm currently learning how to use RPGMaker VXAce, and have been looking at tutorials on YouTube for creating tile sets for games. Now, this doesn't have to be RPGMaker specific (I'm pretty sure I can use this knowledge for more advanced 2D games when I get back into Unity), but does anyone know I good way to create tile sets using Sketchbook Pro? I know GIMP has some good ways and obviously photoshop, but I'd rather try to keep my artwork in Sketchbook Pro. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions.

The main video that I got the most from was Matt Laskowski's "ORIANART - How to make 2D Game Tilesets - Setup & The Basics" for reference to what I'm looking towards.

Thanks.

Advertisement

The ways for making them is the same no matter what 2D software you use. Any tutorial on tile sets will work if you know your software.

It's like asking if someone knows a way to draw a apple using a pen, because you know there is some good ones using pencils.

Sketchbook Pro looks more like the type of tool to make illustrations, not precise pixel art. If you're going for sophisticated high-resolution tiles (

" rel="external nofollow">like this), then sure, you can use it.

But you mentioned RPGMaker, so if you have to do small tiles (like something less than 64x64 px) then it's better to work with a tool that let's you more easily control individual pixels such as GIMP, Photoshop, Krita, Paint.NET etc.

Krita in particular has a "tile mode" feature that displays your canvas tiled to infinity. It's very useful for making seamless graphics, like tiles.

6 minutes ago, Kryzon said:

Sketchbook Pro looks more like the type of tool to make illustrations, not precise pixel art. If you're going for sophisticated high-resolution tiles (

" rel="external nofollow">like this
), then sure, you can use it.

But you mentioned RPGMaker, so if you have to do small tiles (like something less than 64x64 px) then it's better to work with a tool that let's you more easily control individual pixels such as GIMP, Photoshop, Krita, Paint.NET etc.

Krita in particular has a "tile mode" feature that displays your canvas tiled to infinity. It's very useful for making seamless graphics, like tiles.

Thanks Kryzon. I've decided to go ahead go back to GIMP for the pixel art. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement