UE4 for 2D Development?

Hi, I am working on building out the assets for a 2D top-down style game. It is primarily focused on exploration and the art and does not need to have serious combat or RPG functions (if any at all). I am trying to decide what engine would be best for this project, keeping in mind that in the future I want to work on 3D games and would love to be able to get some experience in an engine that will allow me to do both. Right now, I am focusing on Unreal 4 and their Paper 2D workflow, but I have seen other people give it negative feedback. However, most of that feedback is many months old and I'm having trouble finding more recent thoughts on updates to Paper 2D. I am also looking into Gamemaker Studio 2 but am hesitant to go into a strictly 2D engine (it also has a larger upfront cost). I am willing to pick up any programming language and I have experience in quite a few already, but I don't imagine much programming would be needed for the feature-minimum game I am working towards.

Will working on a 2D game in UE4 or Unity give me any knowledge that can carry over to future development on 3D games? Is it significant enough to outweigh the focused toolset of a strictly 2D engine?

Do the larger, more supported engines like UE4 and Unity have better capabilities and support for publishing to console?

Does Gamemaker Studio 2 or similar engines that are strictly 2D have significant advantages over UE4 or Unity if the end product is not Chrono Trigger levels of 2DRPG complexity?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Aws0207 said:

in the future I want to work on 3D games

For this reason alone I will say stick to Unreal. It's true that Unreal's 2D engine isn't great, however it can make any 2D game.

The downside to using Unreal to make 2D games is that you will be using many 3D tools to do it, so it's actually much nearer to 3D games than most 2D engines. For a person learning to make 3D games this is a good thing.

Will working on a 2D game in UE4 or Unity give me any knowledge that can carry over to future development on 3D games?

Yes, making 2D games and 3D games is very similar. 3D just adds more stuff onto the 2D. Some 3D games are just 2D games with 3D art.

Do the larger, more supported engines like UE4 and Unity have better capabilities and support for publishing to console?

Yes, much easier than learning how to do it all yourself. Note: Unreal is great for console, isn't the best for mobile. It is getting better with the mobile port now.

Some 2D engines are better for porting than Unity and Unreal, Gamemaker isn't one.

Right now, I am focusing on Unreal 4 and their Paper 2D workflow, but I have seen other people give it negative feedback.

The bad feedback is more about wasted potential. Paper 2D could be a huge thing when it is implemented right, it just isn't what the Unreal developers is focused on.

Does Gamemaker Studio 2 or similar engines that are strictly 2D have significant advantages over UE4 or Unity if the end product is not Chrono Trigger levels of 2DRPG complexity?

No in fact because of the limits these kinds of engines have, they are worse when it comes to making games like Chrono Trigger.

Game maker and engines like it is aimed at small 2D games, not complex RPG games. You could still make a complex RPG using these engines it's just going to be difficult.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

GameMaker isn't 'strictly 2D' as such. It is quite easy to do a full 3D game, but there is no handholding involved. Everything has to be done strictly via code.

The game I have been working on for the last few years is actually entirely 3D based.

Having said that though, I'd go with the engine that you are most comfortable with. In the end, it is not so much the engine, it is the person driving it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jon Bon
      Concept for combat in Meteor Bombardment 2
    • By Jon Bon
      Concept for combat in Meteor Bombardment 2
    • By i3di
      What is Heroes and Legends?  Well, it is meant to be the most advanced RPG to date, exceeding Skyrim, and as immersive as Baldur's Gate.  This game will push the envelope of modern PC's requiring more modern technology, 16GB min RAM, 4GB min Video, Advanced in Game Kinematics, Actual Fluid physics, the works.  I have been in programming for over 25 years.  I have studied 3D computer graphics since the early days of WinG before it was DirectX.  What am I offering?  A team and partnership.  Everyone who comes on board will receive royalties and be part of the company as I move it from a Sole Proprietorship to Corporation.  
      Sky is the limit on this.  All the project goals are meant to be a stepping stone in to the companies ultimate focus which is Military Combat Simulations.  I need your help though.  Right now, I am in content creation.  I have over 600 textures needing normal maps, ambient occlusion, specular and displacement.  I have a very advanced 3D model with rig that is almost complete.  The rig uses actual anatomy and bone sizes of the human body.  As I close the completion of this advanced work in the rigging, I still have to create high def detail, clothes, animations and I must add on to the rig for various humanoid types.
      The project is split in to modular pieces so that elements can be sold on Unreal store, converted to Unity and sold.  So there will be money making in process.  So, if your looking to become part of a permanent team with good project management, a very experienced developer, and be part of a developing company, then please, reply or send a message.  I have received only 1 reply since I began making this effort and I can't do this alone.  Game development is a team sport. No response, well, then this will never see completion.

Here is who I need:

HTML, Java EE 7, HTML, PHP, Linux Web Developers
      Server Administrators
      3D Modelers and Animators
      2D Concept and Interface Artists
      Sound and Music Composers
      Unreal and C++ Programmers

What you need:
      Vision, Creativity and Dedication

Enclosed is the blender file of the High Polygon Human Rig.  This rig will allow for every type of human interaction you can imagine, right down to breathing.  Using advanced IK plugins, and motion graphics, the level of character interaction and realism will be unlike anything experienced in games, right down to a punch molding flesh on the face.  This is not complete, but the rig is almost there.  My work, solely.
      MALE-0000-0000-0001.blend
    • By Redlime
      I am a game development student working on a 2.5D beat 'em up brawler game in Unity as my final year project and I've been working on the ai for the enemies in the game. However, I've been unable to get the enemies to working properly as the enemies would be constantly stuttering and jerking while trying to follow the player. I've created a foreach statement and added some conditions that call for the robots to spread out and stay away from the player if it is not in an engaging enum state. This has been an issue plaguing the ai for a while now, analysing the animator, it seems like the robot's movement is instantaneously stopping and going which might be the reason causing this stuttering. But I'm not sure how to prevent the robot's movement from stopping and going. If anyone knows the reason why this is happening to the robots it would be much appreciated as my project is due soon and I'm still unable to fix such a game breaking bug! I've included a few videos below showing what is happening to my robots and also the stuttering shown inside the animator. I've also included the full script for my robots.

Robots Stuttering
      Robots Stuttering Animator
      Robot.cs
    • By Aggrojag
      Hello!
      I'm working on a game that is quite personal to me. It touches on my own depression, obsessions, phobias, etc. It's a narrative driven dark comedy with some small aspects of platforming and puzzle solving. The project is rather small as well. It touches on topics such as suicide, mental illness, family, corruption, free-will, and redemption.
      First, I'm looking for a 2D animator that can compliment the style of the attached image. The player character's animations will be a bit more extensive than a typical platformer. There will be many death animations, and some other strange dealings with the character that will need animation. Other items will include some objects in the world that are in need of animation. All static pieces of art will be handled by the artist that drew the attached image.
      Second, I'm looking for a male voice actor. There will be at minimum two characters that will need to be brought to life through vocals. They are a very core part of the game, though they will never be shown on screen. As a reminder, this is a rather dark comedy, so be prepared for some insanity in your portrayal of these characters. The first voice is that of a game show host's voice, while the other will be a devilish voice (without SFX, I think it cheapens it, does not necessarily need to be a low voice, this is more about the portrayal than how the voice sounds).
      Last, I would love to have an editor on board. More than just avoiding disaster in the writing, I'm looking for someone that can elevate it. There is not a ton of writing that will be in the final project, but it's important enough of an aspect to be trying to bring someone in to help with it.
      To those interested:
      I have a crappy prototype that exists, along with a couple game design docs. More than anything, I'd like to present the project through a voice chat via discord to any interested. Discord - Bobdul Thundercuck#4590
      I do plan to post this on itch.io and wherever else I can put it that makes sense. I fully expect to make nothing off this project, as should you. However, in the case that money is made, a rev share model will be in place.

Edit: Editor position has been filled, title has been changed to reflect this, and crossed out the section detailing this.
  • Popular Now