• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Jiraya
      For a 2D game, does using a float2 for position increases performance in any way?
      I know that in the end the vertex shader will have to return a float4 anyway, but does using a float2 decreases the amount of data that will have to be sent from the CPU to the GPU?

• By ThunderTwonk
      Hello everyone, I am working on a game idea and since I am still in the process of learning C# and the features available in unity I was hoping some of you might be able to offer me a little insight on things in general for getting started.
      I guess the basic components of what I'm wanting to create would be a Multi-levels management/city builder/rpg.
      The goal is to provide a framework for players to interact with, build in and affect the world both from a 3rd person action RPG as well as a zoomed out 4x style view (This would be something unlocked through gameplay)

As for my questions go I was wondering if anyone had resources that could help me learn.  I've been on youtube as well as enrolled in an online course for basic unity and C# and will continue those but if anyone has any words of advice, a place that has good information and tutorials etc.

Thanks for your time.
    • By INFRA
      SCAN. DRILL. SURVIVE.   ISOLATED Release in May 1st 2018   https://store.steampowered.com/app/805950/Isolated/   A game by Jérémie Bertrand Music & Sound Design by Pierrick Querolle *** Our solar system has been invaded by strangers. For the purpose of a possible negotiation, a team of astronauts is sent to the moon. Alas, they are shot before even arriving on the scene. Only one astronaut survives the crash and his only goal will be to go home...   GAMEPLAY   Shoot enemy ships to avoid being invaded. Be precise in your movements, because it's better to lose a bit of life at the top than to lose it all at the bottom. Take out your drill to destroy the stones in your path. Validate your identity to cross the different laboratories. Reach the flag before losing your three lives.   And all that... at the same time! Will you be able to go home? If the answer is yes, how long will it take?
    • By Captain Jack
      Hi,
      Two questions: I am trying to rotate chroma in YUV colour space by separating each of the components and applying the following formula.
      int Ut = ((U-128) * cos(hue[H]) + (V-128) * sin(hue[H])) + 128; int Vt = ((V-128) * cos(hue[H]) - (U-128) * sin(hue[H])) + 128; ...where hue[H] is an array of rotation angles between 0.0 and 360.0.
      This seems to work OK but is dog slow. Is there a way to speed this up by converting to integer only calculation and doing away with cosine and sinus? 
      Second, when doing conversion between YUV and RGB, it seems that luma is also affected after rotation. To demonstrate what I mean, I am randomly rotating each line's chroma. The process is:
      Convert from RGB to YUV > rotate chroma > convert to RGB.

Top left is the original image, the two images on the right are U and V and the bottom left is the luma. As you can see, it seems to have some artefacts from rotation. Is there a way to avoid this?
      Thanks
      CJ
    • By fleissi
      Hey guys!

I'm new here and I recently started developing my own rendering engine. It's open source, based on OpenGL/DirectX and C++.
      The full source code is hosted on github:
      https://github.com/fleissna/flyEngine

I would appreciate if people with experience in game development / engine desgin could take a look at my source code. I'm looking for honest, constructive criticism on how to improve the engine.
      I'm currently writing my master's thesis in computer science and in the recent year I've gone through all the basics about graphics programming, learned DirectX and OpenGL, read some articles on Nvidia GPU Gems, read books and integrated some of this stuff step by step into the engine.

I know about the basics, but I feel like there is some missing link that I didn't get yet to merge all those little pieces together.

Features I have so far:
      - Dynamic shader generation based on material properties
      - Dynamic sorting of meshes to be renderd based on shader and material
      - Rendering large amounts of static meshes
      - Hierarchical culling (detail + view frustum)
      - Limited support for dynamic (i.e. moving) meshes
      - Normal, Parallax and Relief Mapping implementations
      - Wind animations based on vertex displacement
      - A very basic integration of the Bullet physics engine
      - Procedural Grass generation
      - Some post processing effects (Depth of Field, Light Volumes, Screen Space Reflections, God Rays)
      - Caching mechanisms for textures, shaders, materials and meshes

Features I would like to have:
      - Global illumination methods
      - Scalable physics
      - Occlusion culling
      - A nice procedural terrain generator
      - Scripting
      - Level Editing
      - Sound system
      - Optimization techniques

Books I have so far:
      - Real-Time Rendering Third Edition
      - 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11
      - Vulkan Cookbook (not started yet)

I hope you guys can take a look at my source code and if you're really motivated, feel free to contribute :-)
      There are some videos on youtube that demonstrate some of the features:
      Procedural grass on the GPU
      Procedural Terrain Engine
      Quadtree detail and view frustum culling

The long term goal is to turn this into a commercial game engine. I'm aware that this is a very ambitious goal, but I'm sure it's possible if you work hard for it.

Bye,

Phil
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Need guidance on pixel art.

I have plans on making a small top down rpg using unity to get acquainted with the engine. Although, I also want to make my own 2D pixel art. I have experience making sprites, and I also have experience programming. My only problem are the dimensions of which the characters, items, backgrounds should be drawn in.

I see a lot of pixel art assets that have dimensions set at 32 bit, 16 bit and 8 bit. I'm assuming that's based on the color palette. Right now I have a character drawn on Photoshop, but the dimensions are not exactly symmetrical. Is there some tutorial out there that describes the standards for every top down 2D rpg? I would like to know how many pixels each side should be for characters, and generally everything else. I am afraid if I make the character a scale different than the tiles, it'll look out of place. 

My Photoshop canvas is set up for 2D pixel art, with guidelines and grids. I am also using a 300x300 pixel canvas, so I don't know how to use the space accordingly. 

Overall, I am lost on what to follow. I don't know whether I should just keep making the characters the way I'm making them, or have them sized according the the entire tileset. If someone could guide me to a blogpost, tutorial or paper talking about this subject, I would greatly appreciate it! It's what's holding me back at the moment. I will try using free assets for now, but I plan on making my own for later.

Advertisement

Youtube is your friend. There are HUNDREDS of pixel art tutorials on there. Not all of them are great but still most are useful. I would do a lot of drawing and traditional sketches first. Concept out your game in full before you get into production. Also know that not every asset you create will be used. You REALLY want to create more assets than you actually use. You want to chose from a massive pool and chose the best ones rather than relying on every piece being essential. 

Also there are methods to upscaling your game to 1080 without worrying about being the right size. As long as your art has the pixel art look you're going for you'll be alright. 

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm actually just getting into pixel art myself, generating a one-minute pixel art intro scene for a game. Best of luck!

This may sound silly but a good way to learn to do pixel art is to use Mario Paint. That game has a stamp editor which lets you create 16x16 pixel sprites. I can literally sit for hours just making sprites and drawing things in the paint. So here's an idea... First create a profile in photoshop that is 16x16 pixels wide or 32x32 pixels - a stamp. Set up the grid to be 1x1 pixels and show the grid lines. Place guides at the centers of the square (both vertical and horizontal) and possible show the units in pixels at the edges of the drawing area. Now you got a good work space to start with. Let me know if this works out and good luck with your project and remember to have fun!

That depends mostly on what you want but for myself, I usually use a grid of 64X64 for characters and 32X32 fo tiles. By doing so, my characters a little bit bigger but still fits in the game. But I was using it for platformer though. So I don't know if that helps.

Also, try not resizing it when importing in Unity or when doing the Spritesheet.