Xer0botXer0

Error Handling Question

Hi guys,

So I'm looking at another developers project for learning purposes and I'm just moving through the code so I can get an understanding of what's happening and how to write my own version of it. And the first thing I'm looking at is the 'try ..catch' statement. From what I can tell the purpose of try catch is to try a block of code and if an exception occurs then catch it, In this example I'm not sure how catching is actually working.

try {
            Thread.sleep(1);
        } catch (InterruptedException e) {
        }

I've also seen some basic examples where 0 is divided by a value and it's suppose to throw an Exception, the person then draws a line to say hey you can't divide like that. But in this case what will happen ?

I think more importantly, if an error occurs, does the program crash, and whether or not it crashes will I see a message in Eclipse console telling me what caused the error ? 

And then, from what I've read some peoples approach is to determine what exceptions/errors may occur and then change their code to prevent that from happening. 

These questions will help me understand whether or not I can take the following approach, code, run the program, attempt all possible interactions, when an error occurs see what it says in the console or rather see what interaction I did that caused it then modify the code to prevent that from happening, instead of catching exceptions.

Update:

I looked up exceptions a bit, I see that InterruptedException is a specific exception that throws when a sleeping thread is interrupted using the interrupt(); method. And that I don't see interrupt being used in the project then the exception is actually not required. 

Edited by Xer0botXer0
Update

Your question seems to be a little broad. Exception in general are when the program/computer encounters a situation that it does not know how to handle ie. dividing by 0. in this case, an Exception object is created and "thrown" to an Exception handler. if no exception handler is found within the program the program will exit(crash). when Designing a system a good programmer will anticipate when an exception will occur and reroute the program to prevent a crash. its important to realize that there are two types of exceptions. checked and unchecked. check exceptions are caused by programmer error and are caught by the interpreter/compiler. these types of exceptions will prevent a program from compiling. the second, uncheck, is also called a runtime error/exception. these are caused by the user giving an input that was unexpected or that the program does not know how to handle. these types are Not inherently bad. the one you are looking at may be a little confusing if you don't understand threads and concurrency. In this case the programmer has commanded a thread to wait/sleep for a certain amount of time. If in the event that some outside force like the OS, or even the user interrupts this thread it will throw an exception which the programmer can use to know that his thread is no longer sleeping. other examples of exception that are not necessarily bad; a FileNotFoundException can be used to check for the existence of a file before writing to it. after the programmer catches this exception he may, for example, prompt the user to create a new file before writing.

"In this example I'm not sure how catching is actually working." - In this example the catch doesn't have to do anything. It is just there so that the exception is handled and doesn't propagate down to the caller. Exceptions that don't get handled cause the program to terminate. So when you write code that calls a function, you need to consider whether it can throw exceptions that you need to handle - like the writer of this code did, knowing that Thread.sleep can throw InterruptedException. Note that exceptions aren't always errors, such as in this case. It's just an unusual condition that needs handling.

If you can modify code to prevent the possibillity of certain exceptions being raised, that is usually preferable. But exceptions exist to handle conditions that you can't prevent, or events that you couldn't easily predict.

In Java it's useful to have that there as it forces you to write good code. If you have "throws xException" then you're not allowed to let other exceptions be thrown out of the function - which is good news for callers of that function, as they know they only ever have to handle xExceptions. This is entirely about which exceptions can be thrown out of the method - it has no relation to try/catch blocks inside the method. However, you may need to add catch blocks in order to conform to the exception specification, as you will need to handle all other exceptions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Giannis Marinakis
      Hello everyone!
      I have a GitHub repository on which I'm developing a Open Network Library for Java Developers and I'd like to share it so more people come in and contribute. Till now the repo is being developed only by me so the library is not 100% bug free. I'd really like this repo to be famous and got people working on it!
      [You will find more information in the repo]
      Here's the link for the repo: https://github.com/giannismarinakis/java-open-nl
      Thanks!
    • By PaCkEtPiRaTe
      I'm currently remaking a game I made a few years back using Slick2D (as opposed to Swing/AWT, which was a terrible idea). I've fleshed out a lot of the background architecture, but I'm starting to run into issues with my architecture and I'm not sure how to proceed.
      The game I'm making is an overhead shooter. It's wave-based, with hordes of zombies coming at you. There are 10 weapons to choose from.
      Specifically, my latest issue is with a particular "weapon" I'm designing; the Laser Barrier. In the previous game, I had a "Laser Wire" weapon, which when two terminals were placed on the ground, created a wire made of laser on the ground that would damage enemies that passed through. Problem was that it didn't do enough damage in the short time that the enemies would be colliding with it for it to be of any use, so it was a waste of money.
      In the remake, I'm instead creating the "Laser Barrier", which visually looks the same, but instead of damaging enemies that touch it, it will act as an obstacle that enemies can't walk through. The enemies damage the shield while they are in contact with it until the laser barrier collapses. Projectiles however, can still pass through the barrier, allowing the player, and certain enemies, to shoot through them.
      The issue I'm running into, though, is the method of communicating between the Laser Wire itself and the enemy touching it. I'm currently able to detect a collision between the enemy and wire projected between the two laser terminals, but I'm not sure how I can implement the actual movement blocking part.
      It would take too much text to explain how it works, so here are the relevant files in my project:
      Player class - the checkProjectiles() method on line 344 is where the game loop checks for collisions between the player's weapon projectiles and the an enemy passed as an argument. On line 350, you can see that when there is a collision between the enemy and the LaserNode object (collision method is linked below), the laser node takes damage so that it will eventually be destroyed. I figured this is where the "movement blocking" should be, as I have access to the terminal and the enemy, and this is where a collision is confirmed. LaserNode class - this is the class representing the laser terminals on the ground that project the laser beam between them. The checkCollision() method on line 57 is used to determine if the enemy is touching either of the terminals, or if it is touching the beam itself. Enemy class - this is the base class for all game enemies. You can see what methods are available to all enemies, so perhaps this can provide some insight into what could be done to communicate with the LaserNode. I realize it's a lot to ask considering the scope of my project, but could someone give me an idea of how to communicate between the LaserNode and Enemy so that the enemy knows not to move when touching the LaserNode? The only methods I can think of seem cumbersome and it seems like I'd be adding a lot to the Enemy class just to get this one feature working.
      I'd love to script these weapons with LUA, but I never learned how to integrate a scripting language into my game architecture. I also have limited experience writing game engines, so I'm sure there's a lot of refinement that could be done to make my game architecture less restricting.
      I don't expect anyone to actually comb through my project and make suggestions, but I would super appreciate it.
    • By Oakman771
      Hello everybody     I am interested in learning how to develop an app/game for Android devices. I have experience with UE4 and know the basics of C++.  Would a very simple version of Armory & Machine be a good starter project? It should not contain physics or AI or similar. What would be the way to make something like that? I read a lot about Java related to Android on the internet.   Thanks for your help!
    • By Arnold577
      Hi there, 
      I have worked on multiple games in the past: text based/2D/3D.
      But now I want to make an mmo, specifically a text based one, known as a MUD.
      The thing is I don't know much about making them, I know:
      Loads of: C#, Python
      A bit of: HTML & JS
      Hardly any of: C++, Java

What I would like to know is:
      How should I go about the networking? I know some sockets but don't like using others libraries.
      Is there any information on the topics that I haven't been able to find?
      And mainly, what language should I use. I am willing to learn a new one.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

I have done research.

• By Juan Kang
      Hi everyone, 
      I've made a small java game recently, just for education purpose. So this game is a endless scrolling 2D plaformer. all you can do is jumping, with the impulse force to it. So the basic is to keep the player standing(and jumping) and move the background/platform from right to left. And with the forced jump, increase the force everytime the player press the button(e.g spacebar) and jump with the increased force when the button is released.
      Then,  I use Collision/Physics detection, with the platform in the air, or standing like a wall. So I want, when the player is hit against the wall, he will be dragged by it, as it move from right to left. And now I have 2 problems:
      - Sometime when the player is stand against a wall, and being dragged, he can't jump. Actually, just for a small distance and then stuck into a wall against him.

- Some other times,  when I press/hold the button, he is going through the wall, and not even jump when I released the button.

- The second problem is, when he falling, if he hit the platform, he got stuck to it, unable to jump anymore.

I tried checking online for this, I believe I am probably Googling the wrong things to find tutorials for this, most tutorials seem to be for platformers like Rockman, or Flappy Bird,...But nothing seemed to solve my problems. 
      These are some of my code:
      Player.java
      package smithitsmiths; import bases.GameObject; import bases.Vector2D; import bases.inputs.InputManager; import bases.physics.BoxCollider; import bases.physics.Physics; import bases.renderers.ImageRenderer; import jdk.internal.util.xml.impl.Input; public class Player extends GameObject { private Vector2D velocity; private final float GRAVITY = 1f; private final float JUMPSPEED = 10; protected float force = 0; private BoxCollider boxCollider; final static int maxForce = 2; public static float currentForce; public GaugeBar gaugeBar; public Player() { super(); this.renderer = ImageRenderer.create("assets/images/players/player_walk1.png"); velocity = new Vector2D(); boxCollider = new BoxCollider(36, 45); this.children.add(boxCollider); gaugeBar = new GaugeBar(); GameObject.add(gaugeBar); } @Override public float run(Vector2D parentPosition) { super.run(parentPosition); //GRAVITY impact velocity && Inputs this.velocity.y += GRAVITY; if (InputManager.instance.spacePressed) { if (force <= maxForce) { gaugeBar.setValue(force); force += 0.1f; return currentForce = force; } } if (InputManager.instance.spaceReleased) { //when player is at platform(not in the air), enable jump, vice versa BoxCollider boxColliderAtBottom = this.boxCollider.shift(0, 1); if (Physics.collideWith(boxColliderAtBottom, Platform.class) != null) { velocity.y = -JUMPSPEED * force; } force = 0; gaugeBar.reset(); } //Platform physics moveVertical(); moveHorizontal(); //gaugebar update: gaugeBar.setPosition(this.position.x - 40, this.position.y - 40); return 0; } private void moveVertical() { //calculate future position(box collider) & predict collision BoxCollider nextBoxCollider = this.boxCollider.shift(0, velocity.y); Platform platform = Physics.collideWith(nextBoxCollider, Platform.class); if (platform != null) { //move player continously towards platform boolean moveContinue = true; float shiftDistance = Math.signum(velocity.y); while (moveContinue) { if (Physics.collideWith(this.boxCollider.shift(0, shiftDistance), Platform.class) != null) { moveContinue = false; } else { shiftDistance += Math.signum(velocity.y); this.position.addUp(0, Math.signum(velocity.y)); } } //update velocity () velocity.y = 0; } //velocity impact position this.position.addUp(0, velocity.y); this.screenPosition.addUp(0, velocity.y); } private void moveHorizontal() { //calculate future position(box collider) & predict collision BoxCollider nextBoxCollider = this.boxCollider.shift(velocity.x, 0); Platform platform = Physics.collideWith(nextBoxCollider, Platform.class); if (platform != null) { //move player continously towards platform boolean moveContinue = true; float shiftDistance = Math.signum(velocity.x); while (moveContinue) { if (Physics.collideWith(this.boxCollider.shift(shiftDistance, 0), Platform.class) != null) { moveContinue = false; this.position.subtractBy(platform.getSpeed(),0); } else { shiftDistance += Math.signum(velocity.x); this.position.addUp(Math.signum(velocity.x), 0); } } //end move player continously towards platform //update velocity () velocity.x = 0; } //velocity impact position this.position.addUp(velocity.x,0); this.screenPosition.addUp(velocity.x,0); } } Platform.java: package smithitsmiths; import bases.GameObject; import bases.Vector2D; import bases.physics.BoxCollider; import bases.physics.PhysicsBody; import bases.renderers.ImageRenderer; public class Platform extends GameObject implements PhysicsBody{ private BoxCollider boxCollider; private final float SPEED = 2; Vector2D velocity; public Platform() { super(); this.renderer = ImageRenderer.create("assets/images/platform/yellow_square.jpg"); boxCollider = new BoxCollider(30,30); this.children.add(boxCollider); velocity = new Vector2D(); } @Override public float run(Vector2D parentPosition) { super.run(parentPosition); velocity.x = -SPEED; position.addUp(velocity); return 0; } @Override public BoxCollider getBoxCollider() { return boxCollider; } public float getSpeed() { return SPEED; } }  
      BoxCollider.java:
      package bases.physics; import bases.GameObject; public class BoxCollider extends GameObject { private float width; private float height; public BoxCollider(float x, float y, float width, float height) { super(); this.position.set(x, y); this.screenPosition.set(x, y); this.width = width; this.height = height; } public BoxCollider(float width, float height) { this(0, 0, width, height); } public BoxCollider shift(float dx, float dy){ BoxCollider shiftedBoxCollider = new BoxCollider(this.width, this.height); shiftedBoxCollider.position.set(this.position.add(dx,dy)); //new position of newBC = current position + (dx,dy) shiftedBoxCollider.screenPosition.set(this.screenPosition.add(dx,dy)); return shiftedBoxCollider; } public float left() { return this.screenPosition.x - this.width / 2; } public float right() { return this.screenPosition.x + this.width / 2; } public float top() { return this.screenPosition.y - this.height / 2; } public float bottom() { return this.screenPosition.y + this.height / 2; } public float getWidth() { return width; } public float getHeight() { return height; } public boolean intersects(BoxCollider other) { return this.bottom() >= other.top() && this.top() <= other.bottom() && this.right() >= other.left() && this.left() <= other.right(); } @Override public String toString() { return "BoxCollider{" + "width=" + width + ", height=" + height + ", screenPosition=" + screenPosition + '}'; } }  
      So the ground is a total of many square platforms, with the BoxCollider of each. I really confuse where the bug is, and how to fix it. So I post it here hopefully you guys can tell me what to do. 
      I really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading my post.
  • Popular Now