• Advertisement

Engine Project Companion

Dear reader,

I'm a long time gamer, designer, developer, board game fan and hobbyist board game author, passionate in games since age of 6 with addiction to video games starting at the first own computer in the 90's. Professional developing in games industry since 2012 using the popular tools and engines as of Unreal Engine and Unity 3D to create games and optimie workflow by making tools. Highly interested in game engine development starting at the time of my bachelor studies to self improving in any topic a game engine needs to fit and above now working on my current engine project since 3 years in my rarely spread spare time seeking for a companion to contribute, helping improving existing source code on the framework base and planning/developing new features inside the framework but also on the wide tools base.

About the Project

Drough initially intended as game engine has now become a modular C++ based framework to setup and build custom game engines but could also be used for developing games in the same turn while from game developers for game developers regardless of professional, indie or hobbyist; plugging in modules improves the system with different sets of capabilities using OS low level APIs. It's partner project is my WorkBench frontend; itself also fully customizeable written in C# using C# Assemblies as plugins, providing a fully desktop integrated game development environment with state of the art but simple planned tools for both, game designers and game programmers with a code driven but node based editing masked interface. An integrated download center should help customizing the tool in the future and maybe access a users account on the website.

Currently the framework provides:

• AI (FSM, Behavior Tree and some utilities used in machine learning)
  • Asset support for most common file types (Bmp, Jpeg, Obj, Png, Tga), data types (Ini, Json) and packages (an own one + zip)
  • Multithreaded task based and event system
  • Logging and Profiler backend (file based and UDP)
  • OpenGL 4+ Core Profile and Vulkan graphics

Who Contributes

You as contributor should be a reliable consitent person with the same passion about making games and the tools used to make them as I do with a good or semi good knowledge in C++, C# and the will to invest at least a few hours per week of your spare time to help bringing the project onto the next level. "But why should I do that" would you propably ask yourself when reaching this point, so to be honest, I could not offer anything because I also just only spend time, a lot of creativity and experience into the project but I you could get part of a team working on something great getting on the edges of your knowledge and beyond.

It would be also great to take a view on the multiplatform aspect, when you would carry some linux experience into the OS code.

Getting in Touch

When your read all the post until here, congrats! and thank you for sharing your time regardless how you decide for contributing or not. If so, I would like to get in touch, maybe with a small introduction of yourself on this thread or via PM. I would be happy about anyone to write :D

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Alexander Nazarov
      Hello. I'm newby in Unity and just start learning basics of this engine. I want to create a game like StackJump (links are below). And now I wondering what features do I have to use to create such my game. Should I use Physics engine or I can move objects changing transform manually in Update().
      If I should use Physics can you in several words direct me how can I implement and what I have to use. Just general info, no need for detailed description of developing process.
      Game in PlayMarket
      Video of the game
    • By Dave Haylett
      Hi all. My project is coming along wonderfully, and am starting to consider alpha deployment, and would like your advice.
      My project need access to 10,000 small PNG image files at runtime, each is only a few kilobytes each, which during development I used to load in directly from a fixed path on my HDD whenever one was needed (obviously not a solution for go-live), using something like this:
      img = new WriteableBitmap(new BitmapImage(new Uri(@screenshotsPath + filename)));
      The image would then be blitted onto a buffer screen, etc. etc. At a time, a few dozen would be being used.
      Now I'm thinking about deployment, and also when I produce an update to my app, there could be more images to add to the folders. So I'm considering the best way of a) deploying the images to the user as part of the project, and b) how to most easily handle updates to the app, whereby more images will be added.
      I have just experimented with adding them all as a Resource (!). This inflated the exe from 10mb to 100mb (not a major problem), increased the compile time from 3 secs to 30 secs (annoying), increased RAM usage from 500mb to 1.5gb (not a major problem either), but means that it solves my fixed directory issue, distribution issue, and update issue, simply by having the files all stuck into the executable. Here's the new code I'm using:
      img = BitmapFactory.FromResource("Shots/" + filename);
      The next thing I was going to try was to mark them as Content > Copy if Newer. This would resolve the executable size and RAM usage (and also the directory issue as well), however it seems that I'd need to highlight them all, and move them from Resource to Content. As an up-front job this isn't too bad, but as I add new images to the project, I'll need to go in and do this every time, which gets annoying, as the VS2015 default is Resource. Also, I'm not sure how this would work in terms of updates. Would something like ClickOnce deployment recognise new PNGs and install them to the users?

I also have 3,000 ZIP files (~500kb each) which also need deploying and updating in the same way. These are currently read directly from my HDD until I can find a permanent solution for adding these to the project as well.
      Can anyone thing of a better way of doing what I'm trying to achieve?
      Thanks for any help folks.

• By LifeArtist
      Good Evening,
      I want to make a 2D game which involves displaying some debug information. Especially for collision, enemy sights and so on ...
      First of I was thinking about all those shapes which I need will need for debugging purposes: circles, rectangles, lines, polygons.
      I am really stucked right now because of the fundamental question:
      Where do I store my vertices positions for each line (object)? Currently I am not using a model matrix because I am using orthographic projection and set the final position within the VBO. That means that if I add a new line I would have to expand the "points" array and re-upload (recall glBufferData) it every time. The other method would be to use a model matrix and a fixed vbo for a line but it would be also messy to exactly create a line from (0,0) to (100,20) calculating the rotation and scale to make it fit.
      If I proceed with option 1 "updating the array each frame" I was thinking of having 4 draw calls every frame for the lines vao, polygons vao and so on. 
      In addition to that I am planning to use some sort of ECS based architecture. So the other question would be:
      Should I treat those debug objects as entities/components?
      For me it would make sense to treat them as entities but that's creates a new issue with the previous array approach because it would have for example a transform and render component. A special render component for debug objects (no texture etc) ... For me the transform component is also just a matrix but how would I then define a line?
      Treating them as components would'nt be a good idea in my eyes because then I would always need an entity. Well entity is just an id !? So maybe its a component?
      Regards,
      LifeArtist
    • By nickyc95
      Hi.
      I'm kind of late to this party but I thought I would ask anyway as I haven't found a concrete answer.

When creating a game engine, when should you choose one methodology over another (more specifically OOP and DOD)? Which areas benefit from DOD? Which areas benefit from OOP? Do people typically mix multiple methodologies throughout a project? I.e. certain sub-systems created in one, and others in the another?  
      DOD - Data Oriented Design
      OOP - Object Oriented Design

Pretty simple
      Thanks
    • By Estra
      Memory Trees is a PC game and Life+Farming simulation game. Harvest Moon and Rune Factory , the game will be quite big. I believe that this will take a long time to finish
      Looking for
      Programmer
      1 experience using Unity/C++
      2 have a portfolio of Programmer
      3 like RPG game ( Rune rune factory / zelda series / FF series )
      4 Have responsibility + Time Management
      and friendly easy working with others Programmer willing to use Skype for communication with team please E-mail me if you're interested
      Split %: Revenue share. We can discuss. Fully Funded servers and contents
      and friendly easy working with others willing to use Skype for communication with team please E-mail me if you're interested
      we can talk more detail in Estherfanworld@gmail.com Don't comment here
      Thank you so much for reading
      More about our game
      Memory Trees : forget me not

Thank you so much for reading
      Ps.Please make sure that you have unity skill and Have responsibility + Time Management,
      because If not it will waste time not one but both of us

• Advertisement