Shaarigan    1040

Dear reader,

I'm a long time gamer, designer, developer, board game fan and hobbyist board game author, passionate in games since age of 6 with addiction to video games starting at the first own computer in the 90's. Professional developing in games industry since 2012 using the popular tools and engines as of Unreal Engine and Unity 3D to create games and optimie workflow by making tools. Highly interested in game engine development starting at the time of my bachelor studies to self improving in any topic a game engine needs to fit and above now working on my current engine project since 3 years in my rarely spread spare time seeking for a companion to contribute, helping improving existing source code on the framework base and planning/developing new features inside the framework but also on the wide tools base.

About the Project

Drough initially intended as game engine has now become a modular C++ based framework to setup and build custom game engines but could also be used for developing games in the same turn while from game developers for game developers regardless of professional, indie or hobbyist; plugging in modules improves the system with different sets of capabilities using OS low level APIs. It's partner project is my WorkBench frontend; itself also fully customizeable written in C# using C# Assemblies as plugins, providing a fully desktop integrated game development environment with state of the art but simple planned tools for both, game designers and game programmers with a code driven but node based editing masked interface. An integrated download center should help customizing the tool in the future and maybe access a users account on the website.

Currently the framework provides:

• AI (FSM, Behavior Tree and some utilities used in machine learning)
  • Asset support for most common file types (Bmp, Jpeg, Obj, Png, Tga), data types (Ini, Json) and packages (an own one + zip)
  • Multithreaded task based and event system
  • Logging and Profiler backend (file based and UDP)
  • OpenGL 4+ Core Profile and Vulkan graphics

Who Contributes

You as contributor should be a reliable consitent person with the same passion about making games and the tools used to make them as I do with a good or semi good knowledge in C++, C# and the will to invest at least a few hours per week of your spare time to help bringing the project onto the next level. "But why should I do that" would you propably ask yourself when reaching this point, so to be honest, I could not offer anything because I also just only spend time, a lot of creativity and experience into the project but I you could get part of a team working on something great getting on the edges of your knowledge and beyond.

It would be also great to take a view on the multiplatform aspect, when you would carry some linux experience into the OS code.

Getting in Touch

When your read all the post until here, congrats! and thank you for sharing your time regardless how you decide for contributing or not. If so, I would like to get in touch, maybe with a small introduction of yourself on this thread or via PM. I would be happy about anyone to write :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Partner Spotlight

• Similar Content

• By louie999
      I am trying to create a simple GUI system, with buttons and text for now, but this little problem has me absolutely stumped. Basically, I'm creating a new instance of the class GUI and giving it a reference of the newly created window (wnd) which then stores it in the variable "w". With that, I loop through all the current buttons and draw it using the window's draw function (w.Draw()) but the variable "w" always ends up being null and giving me that error. Here's part of my code:
      // Program.cs static void Main(string[] args) { RenderWindow wnd = new RenderWindow(new VideoMode(800, 600), "Test"); Font font = new Font("ITCBLKAD.TTF"); GUI gui = new GUI(ref wnd); wnd.Closed += new EventHandler(CloseEvn); while (wnd.IsOpen) { wnd.DispatchEvents(); wnd.Clear(); gui.RenderAll(); wnd.Display(); } // ... // GUIHandler.cs class GUI { protected RenderWindow w; static protected List<Button> buttonContainer = new List<Button>(); public GUI() { } public GUI(ref RenderWindow window) { w = window; } public void RenderAll() { foreach (Button obj in buttonContainer) { obj.Draw(); } } } class Button : GUI { Text textObj; FloatRect rect; RectangleShape shape; Vector2f vec; State state; readonly string type = "button"; private Button(string text, Font _font, float xpos, float ypos, State _state) { vec.X = xpos; vec.Y = ypos; textObj = new Text(text, _font); textObj.Position = vec; state = _state; rect.Left = xpos; rect.Top = ypos; rect.Width = 10; rect.Height = 10; } public static Button NewText(string text, Font _font, float xpos, float ypos, State _state) { Button temp = new Button(text, _font, xpos, ypos, _state); buttonContainer.Add(temp); return temp; } public void Draw() { w.Draw(textObj); } } Is there anything I'm missing? I'll post the whole code if needed.
    • By MarcusAseth
      Hi guys, I'm not quite sure how to achieve this
      Here what I got so far, my GameMode class own an object of type Physics:
      class Physics { private://variables GameMode* Game; public://constructors Physics(GameMode* gameRef); ~Physics(); public://methods bool IsColliding(Entity* current, ECollisionTest collisionTestType); private://methods bool BoxCollisionTest(const Rect& current, const Rect& other); }; And since all my entities have a pointer to the GameMode they can retrieve a pointer to the Physics object, so when they move they can query the Physics object to see if they collided with something, passing "this" as the object to control against all the Entities inside GameMode, like this:
      //Collision Check if (PhysicsManager->IsColliding(this, ECollisionTest::EBoxCollisionTest)) { LogConsole("Collision"); } and IsColliding() goes like this:
      bool Physics::IsColliding(Entity* current, ECollisionTest collisionTestType) { for (auto& E : Game->Entities) { if (current != E.get())//avoid self testing { switch (collisionTestType) { case ECollisionTest::EBoxCollisionTest: { if (BoxCollisionTest(current->GetCollisionBox(), E->GetCollisionBox())) { return true; } } break; } } } return false; } Now, there are two things I don't like about my current setup.
      1) I am testing against all the entities. The paddle of the Breakout game can only move left and right, and hit either a ball or the left/right boundary, makes no sense to test it against 50 bricks at every update.
      2)From inside the Paddle class I am calling "IsColliding(this, ECollisionTest::EBoxCollisionTest)" so there is the assumption that all the entities that can collide with this one require a box test. May not be the case, maybe I have a "worm" entity running on the screen and it requires another type of collision test, so the choosen function to run shouldn't relying on me explicitly saying which one is, but it should be called at runtime trough overload, based on the type of Entity being compared. So maybe the Paddle<->Ball comparison would do a BoxCollisionTest, while Paddle<->Worm comparison would do something else.
      So how do I get it to work the way I want?
      This is what I want:
      1)Physics object is working with Entity*, and yet I need it to being able to distinguish between a Paddle* and or a Brick* or a Boundary* or a Ball* (all of this inherit from entity), a bit kind of like Unreal Engine BlueprintEditor Cast node, which allow me to say "Cast to Door" and if the thing was a door it return success, otherwise fails. Can you show me an example of how such mechanism is built, in code(C++)?
      2)Physics object should just call a generic TestCollision() function between the "this" passed (the current colliding object) and all the other entities, and then the overload resolution calls the appropriate function based on the types. And yet this shouldn't fail to compile for pairs for which I don't explicitly overload, for instance I wouldn't overload for Paddle<->Brick because such comparison will never happen, so when Paddle<->Brick comparison is performed, it should just return false even though I never declared a TestCollision(Paddle* p, Brick* b). 
      How can this be achieved?

• By cozzie
      Hi,
      During the journey of creating my 2nd 3D engine, I'm basing quite some of the approaches on the Game Engine Architecture book (Jason Gregory). I've now arrived on the topic: IO.
      In short, the target platforms for me are PC, XBone and PS4.
      With this main assumption I thought of the following logics/ guidelines to follow:
      - I can assume file/folder structures will work on all 3 platforms, when I use '/' as a folder separator
      -- I will define 1 global with the base folder for the application, the rest will 'inherit' from there
      (which can be anything, independent of the 'mount' or drive)
      -- for now I'll create 1 subfolder with data/files that might need write access, so later on I only have to worry about 1 subfolder (settings, configs etc.).
      - file extensions can be longer than 3 characters (in Linux based FreeBSD on PS4)
      - all class members functions needing to load a file, shouldn't have to now about the file structure of the logical application, so they will all take a full filename string including path
      (combining root + subfolder + filename and separators is then the responsibility of the caller/ calling code)
      - some functions will need to be passed a folder, because contents in that folder need to be read OR I can simply define a small list of defined subfolders (under root/ base), because it won't be more then 5 to 10 folders in total (data/shaders, data/textures, data/objects, data/sound etc.)
      My questions:
      - what do you think about this approach?
      - regarding the last point, which of the 2 options would you apply?
      -- option 2 might work fine but feels a bit 'static', not very flexible (on the other hand, would you actually need flexibility here?)
      Any input is appreciated, as always.
    • By RubenRS
      How do i open an image to use it as Texture2D information without D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromFile? And how it works for different formats like (JPG, PNG, BMP, DDS,  etc.)?
      I have an (512 x 512) image with font letters, also i have the position and texcoord of every letter. The main idea is that i want to obtain the image pixel info, use the position and texcoords to create a new texture with one letter and render it. Or am I wrong in something?
    • By MarcusAseth
      this is super strange...
      I have this function here:
      template<typename TFirst, typename... TArgs> bool util::LogConsole(const TFirst& first, const TArgs&... rest) { std::cout << first << " "; return LogConsole(rest...); } bool util::LogConsole() { std::cout << std::endl; return false; } it's recursive, keep printing "first" and recursively sending the rest, until rest is empty and the overload taking no argument is called, which just print a newline. Ignore the bool return.
      Anyway, now I have this code somewhere else:
      for (auto& E : Entities) { float valx = E->GetPosition().x;//return 751 float valy = E->GetPosition().y;//return 838 LogConsole(valx, valy); } Entities is a vector<unique_ptr<Entity>> which currently only contains the derived from Entity player Paddle, so I access the Base class Entity method called GetPosition, which is the center pivot coordinates of the object.
      I pass the variable to LogConsole which predictably prints:
      But not I try to call LogConsole without those 2 variables inbetween, like this:
      for (auto& E : Entities) { LogConsole(E->GetPosition().x, E->GetPosition().y); } and watch what kind of output I get! :
      ... the y value is an unreasonable value o_o
      How is this even possible?! Since only the second value is being affected, my assumption is that there is some weird interplay with the second template parameter, the variadic argument...but I wasn't able to debug it even stepping trough it line by line...can anyone come with an explanation for this really strange behaviour?
  • Popular Now