What's a good way to document information

Started by
3 comments, last by Xer0botXer0 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi guys,

So something I'd find useful is having like a reference book/cook book for the languages I'm learning.

For example I'm currently busy with a tutorial that's talking about client/server networking in java, so far I've written the code and made a bit of sense on what's going on, how ever I want to break things down by line, like how you'd go to oracle to see what the documentations say about the difference libraries, their methods, exception types and all that. I'd like my own version that only has what I've already learnt or what I'm currently learning/what's relevant. 

I'm looking for a way to create documents and then organize them so they're easily accessible and navigable , I'm sure if I were a better programmer I would make something like that but I'm more a game dev, so what do you use(if any) to do this sort of thing ? do you know of any software like that ? I'm finding crap on google and thought well other developers may use something of the sort. 

I used to use a book and write down what I've learnt into sections so I could look back for quick reference. But I'm not a fan of my handwriting and I type much faster. 

Advertisement
2 minutes ago, Xer0botXer0 said:

I used to use a book and write down what I've learnt into sections so I could look back for quick reference. But I'm not a fan of my handwriting and I type much faster. 

It's also not as quickly searchable :P

Several programmers I know have used various note-taking applications for exactly this purpose. Writing down gotchas, important bits and pieces, etc. Of the ones I remember being mentioned are EverNote and OneNote.

Hello to all my stalkers.

I usually either write this kind of stuff in the code itself, in large header comments on the file that serves as the primary interface to the API in question, or in plain text files that live in a "Documentation" sibling directory and are authored using some flavor of Markdown or reStructuredText so they can be compiled into nice-looking HTML if needed.

I'm thinking about keeping a collection of code that's relevant to each other in some documentation, I'm going to look at evernote it looks promising!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement