• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Epicghost 505
      Hello,
      We are looking for people to be apart of a team, to help create a horror game we are looking for 3d modelers, coders, artist, animators, fx artist, level designers, and audio design, there will be a payment plan once release of game                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              if your interested come join our discord                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         We hope to see you there
      https://discord.gg/6rcc6xr
      -Epicghost505
    • By lxjk
      Hi guys,
      There are many ways to do light culling in tile-based shading. I've been playing with this idea for a while, and just want to throw it out there.
      Because tile frustums are general small compared to light radius, I tried using cone test to reduce false positives introduced by commonly used sphere-frustum test.
      On top of that, I use distance to camera rather than depth for near/far test (aka. sliced by spheres).
      This method can be naturally extended to clustered light culling as well.
      The following image shows the general ideas

Performance-wise I get around 15% improvement over sphere-frustum test. You can also see how a single light performs as the following: from left to right (1) standard rendering of a point light; then tiles passed the test of (2) sphere-frustum test; (3) cone test; (4) spherical-sliced cone test

I put the details in my blog post (https://lxjk.github.io/2018/03/25/Improve-Tile-based-Light-Culling-with-Spherical-sliced-Cone.html), GLSL source code included!

Eric
    • By Octane_Test
      I am developing a mini golf game in Scenekit. I have applied dynamic physics body to the ball and static physics body to the grass surface and the brick walls show in this image.
      Issue:
      When I apply the force to the ball, the ball’s linear and angular speeds change as shown in the graphs.  The ball’s speeds don’t reduce to zero (so that the ball can stop) but remains constant after certain value.
      Ball linear speed graph
      Ball angular speed graph
      Analysis Tests:
      When I increase the values to both the rolling friction and the friction, the ball speed is reduced quickly but remains constant after certain value (similar to the above graphs). When I increase the values of the linear damping and the angular damping, the ball speed behavior is same as the point #1. When I set the gravity value to -9.8 m/s2, the ball’s linear speed remains constant after 0.1 m/s. If I reduce the gravity value to -5 m/s2, the ball’s linear speed remains constant after 0.05 m/s. The friction, linear friction, linear damping and angular damping are same throughout the motion of the ball.
      There is 1 millimeter overlapping between the ball and the surface of the golf course.
      Questions:
      From the analysis test #3, I think the gravity is causing the constant ball speed issue. Is my assumption correct? If yes, how can I fix the issue? I can’t remove the gravity field as without the gravity field the ball will not roll along the grass and it will slide. Why the friction and the damping properties are not affecting the ball speed after certain value?
      Are there any other physics properties can cause such issue?
      From the analysis test #5, are there any chances that the ball is receiving upward push to correct the position of the ball?
      Solutions:
      If I increase the physics timestep from 60 FPS to 200 FPS, the issue is resolved. I am not able to understand how this change can fix this issue? After reducing the gravity value to -1 m/s2 and physics simulation speed to 4 (4 times fast physics simulation), the issue is fixed. Again, I am not able to understand how this change fix the issue? I would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts on this topic. Thank you.
    • By Sandman Academy
      Downloadable at:
      https://virva.itch.io/sandman-academy
      https://gamejolt.com/games/sandmanacademy/329088
      https://www.indiexpo.net/en/games/sandman-academy
      https://www.gamefront.com/@sandmanacademy
      http://www.indiedb.com/games/sandman-academy
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Looking for a C++ FPS game project

Hi, I'm 16 years old (nearly 17) french guy who loves coding, and pizzas, and music, and a lot of other things...

I started learning some programming languages 6 years ago, and always failed to achieve something with them. Then I decided to re-try Java 2 years ago, and it went pretty well. So well that from this time I did not stopped programming. I really started to dig into C++ a year ago because I wanted lower level programming skills, with one specific goal: create games. Unfortunately I always overestimate myself and my ideas, and I've not been able to create a single real game because of my lack of experience in that specific domain. So I'm looking for a 3D FPS game project (multiplayer would be great too) to see how that kind of project is managed, and to finally be able to create something. I would like for once to work with other people on the same thing, I think it could really help me to help back the others. I have a lot of free time right now and I'm ready to spend some (if not a lot) into a project.

I learned a lot of C++ features when I started, but I feel like I'm missing a lot of other features and I want to learn them on something useful.

I really prefer not working on a project with a pre-used game engine (GM, UE, Unity, ...) because for me the most interesting part is what happens at the lowest programming level of a game. I learned basics of modern OpenGL so if there is a graphical engine to improve, I can work on it. I'm also very interested into working on the game engine structure, and on implementing a scripting language if it's needed. If the game is multiplayer, I will not guarantee that I could really work on that (because I really don't know a lot about networking) but I'll try my best to continue learning things and maybe work on that too.

If you're interested, feel free to contact me on Discord: Freezee#2283. If you don't have Discord, reply back a way to contact you :)

Advertisement

Yes, it is a good way to learn new thing.  :)

I suggest you to search the one you like and apply to that team directly (with private message).   

As a general guideline, it is easier if ....

• You apply to the one that doesn't finish in producing any (successful) game yet.
  • You don't pick a job.  (i.e. don't mind about any language)
  • You offer to do it for free.

Doesn't forget to show your best game/prototype you develop yourself!

Good luck.