The View Upon the Horizon

Started by
5 comments, last by nsmadsen 6 years, 9 months ago

Here's a new piece I wrote just for fun. I recorded live cello for this one and am very happy with the cello sound. But, speaking honestly, I'm less happy with the piano sound. Thankfully, it's recorded via MIDI so I can swap that out for a better sounding library. Or maybe I just need to tweak the track settings. Either way, I'd appreciate both listens and feedback! 

Thanks

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Damn... that cello is just not replicable with MIDI. Such a shame really that MIDI strings can't express solo strings.

The piano needs some humanisation. What I do when I'm sequencing piano, is i remove snap to grid and re-align every note individually so that it's not exactly perfect, or you can randomise note start values automatically. Do this to velocity as well, and even automating the sustain pedal and tempo will give you a more realistic sound... the actual piano sample isn't the most important element in a realistic sounding piano.

God I wish I could play the cello! haha. Great work :)

Also, I like to split my piano into groups in order to mix a better sound. This allows me greater control when cutting out particularly resonant frequencies in the low-mids.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did play the piano part in live via MIDI with a sustain pedal. And the part isn't quantized nor are all of the velocities static. Also I did split up the lower piano part versus the mid to higher parts. 

What I feel is lacking is there are better libraries with a richer sustain than the piano library I used. But, all in all, it does a good job of showing what I was after.

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Absolutely love this :). This makes me feel like I'm having one last look at sunset in a place I call home, before I embark on a long journey full of adventure.

Thank you!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I went back and revisited this theme - simplifying the piano part and making the arrangement, in general, have a bit more space. While I still like the fuller, original version, I feel like this new arrangement hits a deeper mood and vibe. I hope you like it and thanks again for all of the listens and feedback! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement