Kasu-_-

VGM Academy 21-day Composition challenge

Kasu-_-    508

Is anyone else here going to take the Video Game Music Academy 21-day composition challenge?

http://go.vgmacademy.com/21days

It's not a competition, just for fun and to create a habit of writing music every day :)

I signed up and I immediately started composing as I got really inspired by the checkbox Quest Logs they sent. Theres a lot of ideas what kind of compositional techniques and styles you could try and it's so much easier to start composing something with constrains than just a blank paper with every possible style.

Heres a short composition I made yesterday by using some compound meters, mostly 5/4 or actually 15/12:

I try to share my best pieces in this topic and you can do the same.  I try to keep up writing every day at least something even if I have long weekends doing gigs. Hope many of you try this challenge also :) 

Kasu-_-    508

Here's another track: I listened to the Monkey Island soundtrack and got an inspiration for a pirate bar/saloon theme. The challenge itself has been really fun and inspiring even if it's been just few days. I've composed a lot of little themes and I try to orchestrate some of them so I can share :)  Anyone else stepping up for the composing challenge?

Kasu-_-    508

Yesterday I made three short but different tunes. Today just one but I think it's a nice progression with some borrowed chords played with an acoustic guitar and and an ocarina on the second round. I think all of the short ones still have a good base to build on a longer composition if I need or want to. Anyway here's the newest one and if you want you can listen the stuff from yesterday from my Soundcloud: 

Kasu-_-    508

Today is the time for a fight theme. I love Chrono Cross soundtrack and tried to tackle something similar as the normal fight theme and the boss fight theme combined. Some production and extension still needed but I like it already :) 

Any opinions or advice about any of the tracks this far? I want to get a shareable version ready every day (almost) so I might polish some tracks later if I use them on my portfolio.

Kasu-_-    508

Today I got an inspiration from the Youtube "8-bit music theory" Mega Man video and composed something with authentic Mega Man feel. Hope you like it! Thoughts this far about the challenge: It's been fun and productive and the important part is to keep composing even if I don't feel like it all the time. It's been ten days and I've had to skip already 2-days but I've composed more than one track on some days. I try to keep up for the whole challenge but let's see, I have quite a lot of gigs and other music related stuff coming so it'll be tough on some days.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Me7ro
      I am a musician/composer looking for work. I love music and games so its easy to put the two together. I have worked on a couple different projects, one a side scroller, the other a 2D horror rpg. My Soundcloud has music from when I first started to now. I am pretty much willing and ready to work on any type of game. I want to begin making a name for myself and figured this is a great place to start.
      ---> Soundcloud Link <---
    • By Remi Agullo
      Hello, my name is Remi and I am a Music Composer, Classical Pianist, Drummer and Sound engineer.
      I have a passion for mixing Old School Sounds with Modern Sounds (for example 8bit with an Orchestra and a Hip Hop Beat).
      Have a look at my SoundCloud : 
      I am looking for a team to join on a new game. 
      I know how to use Wwise (middleware to implement sound in Video Games), and am currently learning integration through Unity.
       I hope you enjoy listening to my tracks and thank you for reading this post!
      Email: composeremi@gmail.com 
      Feel free to contact me. 
      Remi
    • By EagleGamer
      Hi there! 
      I am currently developing a text-based android game on android. The player will have multiple choices throughout the story that would effect the outcome in the end.
      I am planning to produce the game in both Arabic and English and upload it to Google Play Store containing Ads. 

I need:
      1- Designer that can serve as concept designer for the game's backgrounds in different states, and design the buttons and simple UI used within the game itself. 
      2- Sounds engineer to improve upon the sounds I'm using within the game and create an immersive experience.

I would like to mention that we would be working in this project as a team and everyone will consider this game as their own and not just be bossed around by me
      Thanks for reading this, looking forward to your application.  

P.S. If you're a designer, I'd love to see some of your work alongside your application.
    • By Carradine
      ( The position has currently been taken, thanks! )
      Hello!  I am looking for someone who would like to make some music for my game "Vantage: Primitive Survival Game" which I plan to be releasing on Steam Early Access soon.  I already have title music, however I would also like to have some in-game music as well.  The theme of the music is of course "primitive".

To have an idea of what I am looking for, take at a look at the Early Access Steam page here, and watch the video for a sample of the type of music.
      http://store.steampowered.com/app/342910/Vantage_Primitive_Survival_Game/
      Contact me if interested at: carradine@crystaldragon.com
      Thanks!

• By ann_la_shar
      Hello, 

my name is Ann and I am freelance audio producer and composer from Ukraine.

Making music for games is my passion.
      I'm looking for interesting game projects or trailers of different genres.
      I've already been successfully involved into sci-fi genres, casual, slot games and medieval RPG.

My music demo-reel:
      https://soundcloud.com/ann-la-shar/sets/demo-reel 

Please contact me : annlashar88@gmail.com
      and skype: djakonda_anet