• Advertisement

VGM Academy 21-day Composition challenge

Is anyone else here going to take the Video Game Music Academy 21-day composition challenge?

http://go.vgmacademy.com/21days

It's not a competition, just for fun and to create a habit of writing music every day :)

I signed up and I immediately started composing as I got really inspired by the checkbox Quest Logs they sent. Theres a lot of ideas what kind of compositional techniques and styles you could try and it's so much easier to start composing something with constrains than just a blank paper with every possible style.

Heres a short composition I made yesterday by using some compound meters, mostly 5/4 or actually 15/12:

I try to share my best pieces in this topic and you can do the same.  I try to keep up writing every day at least something even if I have long weekends doing gigs. Hope many of you try this challenge also :) 

Advertisement

Here's another track: I listened to the Monkey Island soundtrack and got an inspiration for a pirate bar/saloon theme. The challenge itself has been really fun and inspiring even if it's been just few days. I've composed a lot of little themes and I try to orchestrate some of them so I can share :)  Anyone else stepping up for the composing challenge?

Yesterday I made three short but different tunes. Today just one but I think it's a nice progression with some borrowed chords played with an acoustic guitar and and an ocarina on the second round. I think all of the short ones still have a good base to build on a longer composition if I need or want to. Anyway here's the newest one and if you want you can listen the stuff from yesterday from my Soundcloud: 

Today is the time for a fight theme. I love Chrono Cross soundtrack and tried to tackle something similar as the normal fight theme and the boss fight theme combined. Some production and extension still needed but I like it already :) 

Any opinions or advice about any of the tracks this far? I want to get a shareable version ready every day (almost) so I might polish some tracks later if I use them on my portfolio.

Today I got an inspiration from the Youtube "8-bit music theory" Mega Man video and composed something with authentic Mega Man feel. Hope you like it! Thoughts this far about the challenge: It's been fun and productive and the important part is to keep composing even if I don't feel like it all the time. It's been ten days and I've had to skip already 2-days but I've composed more than one track on some days. I try to keep up for the whole challenge but let's see, I have quite a lot of gigs and other music related stuff coming so it'll be tough on some days.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By nihitori
      The Emotional Music Vol. I pack focuses on beautiful and esoteric orchestral music, capable of creating truly emotive and intimate moods. It features detailed chamber strings, cello and piano as the main instruments, resulting in a subtle and elegant sound never before heard in video game royalty-free music assets.

The pack includes 5 original tracks, as well as a total of 47 loops based on these tracks (long loops for simple use and short loops for custom / complex music layering).

Unity Asset Store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/107032
      Unreal Engine Marketplace link: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/emotional-music-vol-i

A 15 seconds preview of each main track is available on Soundcloud:

• By Nick Tuttle
      Hey guys! First post here

So like the post title reads, I'm looking for some feedback on a few electronic tracks as well as some advice on where to begin with networking (specifically, contacting indie devs about getting some music placed without coming off as a lame solicitor).

I've seen a few "work" sections on this site and other similar ones, but none of them really seem to have anything remotely helpful in terms of music - or maybe I just suck at using the search tool? I've also taken to twitter and acquired a fair amount of followers, but I'm not getting the results I want, mainly being conversations with people who are working on games (even minimal budget indie games) about scoring. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

And lastly, here are three tracks I'd really appreciate some feedback on! Mostly about mix and composition. I know the master levels are a little low, and I prefer to keep it that way and retain full dynamic range. Thank goodness the loudness wars are over haha. 

Tension track: https://soundcloud.com/spacepengu/farewell-sleep 
      Guitar & synth track: https://soundcloud.com/spacepengu/guitar-synth
      Chill / relaxing electronic track: https://soundcloud.com/spacepengu/chill-space-92816-439-am

Thanks so much guys, looking forward to reading your replies! 

• By khawk
      Steinberg Technologies GmbH Nuendo 8 is now available. Nuendo 8 includes an array of dedicated tools and capabilities for movie/television audio post-production facilities and video game sound designers and composers.
      Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH today released its advanced audio post-production system after first announcing Nuendo 8 at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco earlier this year.

The latest version of Nuendo 8 contains many exciting new tools and capabilities alongside its powerful feature set. First and foremost is Game Audio Connect 2 that transfers entire music compositions from Nuendo to the Wwise middleware while including audio and MIDI tracks along with cycle and cue markers. Direct Offline Processing together with its Live!Rendering technology lets users apply frequently required processes in an offline plug-in chain and render offline processes in real time, while Renamer automatically assigns new names to events. The Sound Randomizer plug-in creates different variations of a sound instantaneously, adjusting its pitch, timbre, impact and timing. The newly introduced Sampler Track allows users to drag and drop audio samples from the MediaBay into it in order to easily play and manipulate the samples. Also new to the table is the virtual-analog Retrologue 2 synthesizer, the second version of a VST instrument pertaining to the included set of features that was previously available as the NEK (short for Nuendo Expansion Kit). Other highlights are the User Profile Manager, HALion Sonic SE 3, the newly developed video engine, ADR enhancements, new effects processors, such as the eight-band fully parametric Frequency EQ, a fine selection of sounds taken from the 2017 Hybrid Library by Pro Sound Effects and much more.

Visit www.steinberg.net/nuendo for details on Nuendo services and solutions.
      For a detailed introduction to Nuendo 8, Steinberg is inviting Nuendo professionals to join the
      workshops to be hosted these upcoming months in many parts of the world. Refer to
      www.steinberg.net/nuendo8worldtour for the current schedule on Nuendo 8 workshops
      worldwide.
      Availability and pricing
      The Nuendo 8 full retail version is available from resellers and through the Steinberg Online
      Shop. The suggested retail price for Nuendo 8 is 1,899 euros, including German VAT.
      Various downloadable updates are exclusively available through the Steinberg Online Shop.
      Customers who have activated Nuendo 7 or previous versions since May 10, 2017, are eligible
      for a free, downloadable Grace Period update to the latest version.

New features of Nuendo 8
      Game Audio Connect 2 for transferring whole music compositions from Nuendo as music segments into Wwise Direct Offline Processing for applying the most often used offline processes as a chain for one or multiple selected clips, including LIVE!Rendering Sound Randomizer for creating different variations of a sound in seconds just by tweaking four parameters Renamer for automatic renaming of events within a Nuendo project Sampler track for easy creation of sample-based instruments from audio files MixConsole History for undoing/redoing tracked down changes made in the MixConsole New effects and updated plug-ins including Frequency EQ, HALion Sonic SE 3, Retrologue 2, AutoPan, Maximizer and more User Profile Manager to store and recall program settings and preferences easily ADR improvements including automatic speech alignment and remote ADR support (available within a future maintenance update) Enhanced workflow and performance including a new video engine, Plug-in Sentinel, the Lower Zone, dedicated punch points, side-chaining for VST 3 instruments and over 10 other improvements  

View full story
    • By Awoken
      Hello, I am working on a game that I expect will occupy me for some years to come.  I'm currently in the process of adding game content and am looking for some custom songs for the project.
      If you're up for the task I am interested in one or two loop-able songs that have an eerie quality about them.
      Here is a link to an old Genesis game. 
      At 1:17 and on in the video you can hear the first of two distinct songs that are a bit eerie.
      If you're interested It just send me a message.
      Thanks 
    • By erim ahmet
      Hi there, my name is Erim, I am by profession a music producer and sound engineer who also has experiencing in composing working for the BBC, 55 Pixels and various other independent game developers. Following the success of my recording studio (recording bands and solo artists) I have been looking to set aside some more time to get back into game composing. I have put together a Youtube video showcasing some of the work I have been commissioned to compose over the last few years. At this moment in time to build a portfolio I am happy to compose for free. I have 2 fully functioning recording studios, with some of the best software instruments and effects on the market. If you feel I can help with your project, please do not hesitate to get in contact, i am very friendly 

Composing showcase below :). 

www.erimahmet.com - my web page 

Kind regards

Erim Ahmet
  • Advertisement