daughter wants to learn coding

Started by
11 comments, last by Bregma 6 years, 9 months ago
On 7/1/2017 at 2:02 PM, Lactose said:

Your daughter sounds awesome, best of luck to her :)

Maybe you should consider looking into Khan Academy's coding stuff? They have several options available, targetted at different age ranges.

https://www.khanacademy.org/hourofcode

EDIT: One thing that might be important is figuring out why she wants to code. What kind of stuff does she want to do, or what could motivate and inspire her? Then steering the teaching towards things of that nature.

Here's another vote for khan academy. The video tutorials do a great job of explaining what's going on. And the exercises are a lot more interesting than when I was a kid. :) The site is completely free, and it's also a great resource for learning math.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Advertisement

You seriously need to get her a CARDIAC.  You can even emulate one on a modern computer but there is nothing like holding the real thing in your hands.

I got one when I was 10 (back when the USA was still capable of putting men on the moon with a similarly powerful electronic computer).  It made me switch career ambitions from becoming a paleontologist to becoming a computer scientist.  It ended up in my hands via a one of my science teacher mother's students who also went on to earn her PhD in computer science and become an inspiration for me.

Oh, sure, you have to program it in assembly.  Turns out when you see how assembly works in a simple and hands-on way, grasping higher-level constructs is not a big leap and picking up things like C++ is just a matter of learning some new syntax.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement