deltaKshatriya

How Much Do You Program Outside of Work?

So as the title of the thread implies, I'm curious how much people program outside of work related programming. I myself don't work in game dev, but I work as a software developer. I've found that I'm not super interested in doing more programming once I'm done with work for the day. I don't have any programming related side projects. I cannot do more programming after spending most of my day programming. I prefer to do other things, such as 40k, or 3d art, or even just read/watch TV. I know some people who, conversely, go home after work only to dive into a side project and program more.

So I'm curious about people here. How much do people program outside of work? Why/why not? Specifically though, I'm curious if this is just a personal preference or not.

As a note, this thread might be a bit skewed towards non indie devs, but feel free to share your experiences regardless.

Edited by deltaKshatriya

Well, I work 9-6, once im done with getting home and cooking etc for the day its usually pretty late for me so I tend to spend my weekday evenings just relaxing a little.

Though on the weekends I do tend to work on coding projects / reading through coding books etc, mostly just because there are certain things I want to learn and work on.

So my time is sorta split between the.. small amounts I have during the week where I just wanna relax, and weekends where I actually have time to commit to working on projects properly without feeling burnt out ;p

Depends on how much I enjoy the programming I am doing at work, and of course, how busy things are at home.  I've found that the less satisfied I am with my programming at work, the more time I find myself devoting to side projects.

42 minutes ago, ApochPiQ said:

That is definitely a ton. My question for you then is do you ever feel burnt out by that much coding? Or that it's taking up too much time? How much time do you devote to these projects?

1 hour ago, LennyLen said:

I only program outside of work. ;) 

* Technically not 100% true, but programming is not a skill required in my vocation.

I can understand that. When coding was not the major part of my day, I'd do quite a bit of it on the side.

3 hours ago, GibbonThatCodes said:

Well, I work 9-6, once im done with getting home and cooking etc for the day its usually pretty late for me so I tend to spend my weekday evenings just relaxing a little.

Though on the weekends I do tend to work on coding projects / reading through coding books etc, mostly just because there are certain things I want to learn and work on.

So my time is sorta split between the.. small amounts I have during the week where I just wanna relax, and weekends where I actually have time to commit to working on projects properly without feeling burnt out ;p

That's interesting. What sort of projects are these? Are they different from your work? 

The other question I'd like to pose to anyone who's doing a good amount of outside of work coding, why do you guys do it?

19 minutes ago, deltaKshatriya said:

That is definitely a ton. My question for you then is do you ever feel burnt out by that much coding? Or that it's taking up too much time? How much time do you devote to these projects?

Sometimes I do a lot more programming than other times. There are plenty of weeks on that GitHub chart that show me inactive. So it comes and goes.

I try very hard to avoid genuine burnout and I'll readily take a break if it will help avoid problems in that department. I have other competition for my time as well so I have to be fairly good about scheduling other activities.

Overall I'd say I put in an average of 2 hours a day on side projects.

2 hours ago, deltaKshatriya said:

That's interesting. What sort of projects are these? Are they different from your work? 

In terms of things I work on, my job is like Sales ordering systems that integrate with major retailers .. so.. fun stuff? 

But outside of work, just for a bit of fun im working on a chat client in Python just as a way to learn that... but also going to be revisiting / redoing some old 3D projects from OpenGL into like Vulkan and DX11 / 12 so get a decent bit of experience working with them.

And once I get enough cash saved up (or can find someone to do them for free) I plan on getting some models made up etc and starting work on a fairly basic RTS game as like a major portfolio kinda piece... so the stuff I tend to work on out of work is very much different from my in work stuff ;p

9 hours ago, ferrous said:

Depends on how much I enjoy the programming I am doing at work, and of course, how busy things are at home.  I've found that the less satisfied I am with my programming at work, the more time I find myself devoting to side projects.

I know that feeling also actually. I worked a job where, although I was technically a software developer, I was doing very little coding. The result was that I'd program more at home.

8 hours ago, ApochPiQ said:

Sometimes I do a lot more programming than other times. There are plenty of weeks on that GitHub chart that show me inactive. So it comes and goes.

I try very hard to avoid genuine burnout and I'll readily take a break if it will help avoid problems in that department. I have other competition for my time as well so I have to be fairly good about scheduling other activities.

Overall I'd say I put in an average of 2 hours a day on side projects.

I guess that makes sense in some ways. For me it's less that I'd burn out and more that I just feel, well lethargic, for lack of a better word, when it comes to doing more coding. Are these just "for fun" projects?

6 hours ago, GibbonThatCodes said:

In terms of things I work on, my job is like Sales ordering systems that integrate with major retailers .. so.. fun stuff? 

But outside of work, just for a bit of fun im working on a chat client in Python just as a way to learn that... but also going to be revisiting / redoing some old 3D projects from OpenGL into like Vulkan and DX11 / 12 so get a decent bit of experience working with them.

And once I get enough cash saved up (or can find someone to do them for free) I plan on getting some models made up etc and starting work on a fairly basic RTS game as like a major portfolio kinda piece... so the stuff I tend to work on out of work is very much different from my in work stuff ;p

Well, learning a language I guess is a little different from a full fledged project. But, it seems, you're building a portfolio for game dev? Seems you have a specific goal.

I'm not sure if it's just that I don't like doing extra coding or if this is some larger trend for me. I noticed that even before I started my job (and after I graduated), I had like a couple of months before my job started, and I just didn't feel like coding. Most of what I worked (and still work on) is just 3d art. 

I just feel like I need something different to occupy my spare time. I'm not sure I hate programming, etc. I just seem to prefer variety? 

I swing back and forth between coding a lot on my own time, and barely ever. Partly depends how frustrated I am at work, how much free time I have, etc.

As for why... enterprise software engineering is pretty light on actually writing code most of the time, and even when you are, you spend more time writing tests and test frameworks than actually implementing functionality. So when you get home, you just want to skip the unit testing, and get pretty pictures up on screen. Which tends to negatively impact the quality of code you write on the side. YMMV.

I used to program a lot (12 hours a day) in the past, but I was is school that time. I don't remember how much programming I did when I started working, because my new hobby became Lego Technic design that time. I'm slowly getting out of that too, so maybe I'll get back to programming again if it's possible with kids (seems to be more possible than with a Lego hobby).

Between 1 and 2 hours. Most generally 1 hour, in the train. I would like to have my work move more fast, but I'll always give priority to my little son.

At the time where i was alone i was coding almost everyday after the school/work many many hours paired with gaming - with max of 4-5 hours of sleep each day. Now it is totally different, i am married, got two kids and barely find time to code for myself at all. On some evenings my wife may be out or gets in bed early so i may have a few hours - but even then i mostly dont have enough motivation to do anything at all and end up watching random videos or play games.

But sometimes i am in a blast and make good progress, but these are very very rare and will mostly occur on the weekend.

I think right now playing with my kids is much more valuable than creating a boring platforming game, but i hope to integrate my almost 7 year old daughter into my game more. I even made a little princess platformer for her, so she gets better at moving a charater around ;-)

Edited by Finalspace

8 hours ago, Finalspace said:

I think right now playing with my kids is much more valuable than creating a boring platforming game, but i hope to integrate my almost 7 year old daughter into my game more. I even made a little princess platformer for her, so she gets better at moving a charater around ;-)

When my sister's kids were old enough to start doing chores, I wrote a basic platformer game that gave points for doing household tasks. I used their names and surroundings in the game to make it special to them.  We made a set of tokens that they would get for doing real world tasks, with values that corresponded to the amount of points they'd get in the game if they did the same task, and at the end of the week, they could trade their tokens in for pocket money.  It seemed to work quite well.

edit:

The only part I remember well is that for the vacuuming part of the game, your parents had gone out, and while they were gone, you'd made a lot of mess.  You see them coming home down the street, and know you've got 60 seconds to vacuum all the piles of dirt before the front door opens.

I put in about 40 hours a week programming at home, as a hobby.  I have the benefit of living in the middle of nowhere (No social activities, no entertainment for 60 miles) and working for a construction contractor who's not exactly loaded with work, so plenty of spare time on my hands and I'm shootin' to have my code work for me some day :^)

edit: I'm also a single and living on my own, so really.. plenty of spare time

Edited by Crayz92

It seems that a lot of people here code quite a bit in their spare time. That's interesting. It wasn't something I quite expected. I guess I'm just odd in that I prefer 3d art/modeling instead. I've generally got one too many things to do in and generally not enough spare time to do it in.

But for a lot of people it also seems to vary a lot too. Interesting.

I tend to look at work as a way to pay my bills and stuff. It is not on my mind once I leave at the end of the day. So I go home and work quite a bit on the hobby project Francois DIY. It is a gaming environment like Steam, Mario Maker, and Mario Paint. The reason why I work on this is because later on I find it useful for stuff like making games, playing them, and getting people to make levels. I'm also taking interest in software packaging - putting the software on cd with a colorful label, making a box for the software with pictures depicting the software in action, and finally putting all that on eBay to see if people will actually buy it. Don't care if I make much money off of this but just the thought of it is cool. Even at work I'm thinking about what I could code!

Basically, to sum it up my software development hobby is my tech life and work is a side.

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_2.png

screenshot_3.png

screenshot_4.png

Edited by francoisdiy

I used to be eager to go home and start working on my side projects, which have included MHS (http://memoryhacking.com/feature.php), 3 versions of L. Spiro Engine (http://lspiroengine.com/), and more.
I would spend around 5 hours per day coding outside of work.  Like ApochPiQ, I periodically switched to other activities.  For a while just after moving to Japan I played piano for 5 hours daily.

As for why, it is because I was excited about the products I was creating.  MHS has a huge following, and I was always eager to get a new feature into my software and see how everyone enjoyed it.  My game engines were a way for me to explore new technologies, and maybe someday my latest one will be used by the public as well.

These days I am fairly burnt out, but am still working on a chess engine, a Nintendo Entertainment System emulator, my engine, and a new version of MHS.

But I am getting burnt out on programming as a whole (hence why I have been inactive here lately), and am starting to shift towards a more creative career.  I am working on publishing a manga, and if there is a conflict regarding my schedule between coding and working on the manga, the manga is likely to win.  Not to mention I am still studying (at a school) piano, Japanese, and French, and am likely to enroll in economics and political courses soon in order to prepare for my 2020 campaign.

L. Spiro

30 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

I used to be eager to go home and start working on my side projects, which have included MHS (http://memoryhacking.com/feature.php), 3 versions of L. Spiro Engine (http://lspiroengine.com/), and more.
I would spend around 5 hours per day coding outside of work.  Like ApochPiQ, I periodically switched to other activities.  For a while just after moving to Japan I played piano for 5 hours daily.

As for why, it is because I was excited about the products I was creating.  MHS has a huge following, and I was always eager to get a new feature into my software and see how everyone enjoyed it.  My game engines were a way for me to explore new technologies, and maybe someday my latest one will be used by the public as well.

These days I am fairly burnt out, but am still working on a chess engine, a Nintendo Entertainment System emulator, my engine, and a new version of MHS.

But I am getting burnt out on programming as a whole (hence why I have been inactive here lately), and am starting to shift towards a more creative career.  I am working on publishing a manga, and if there is a conflict regarding my schedule between coding and working on the manga, the manga is likely to win. 

L. Spiro

Are you burnt out of programming now because of your job at the moment, or just in general from doing it over the years? I haven't been super interested in doing coding side projects for similar reasons: I just prefer to do 3d art. I'm not sure if I'm super good at it, but it's what I prefer at the moment.

33 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

Not to mention I am still studying (at a school) piano, Japanese, and French, and am likely to enroll in economics and political courses soon in order to prepare for my 2020 campaign.

What are you running for, out of curiosity?

1 hour ago, deltaKshatriya said:

Are you burnt out of programming now because of your job at the moment, or just in general from doing it over the years?

From doing it over the years.  I am especially tired of graphics programming, which is why when I left Square Enix I only applied at companies as a gameplay or AI programmer.

1 hour ago, deltaKshatriya said:

President of the United States of America.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro

42 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

From doing it over the years.  I am especially tired of graphics programming, which is why when I left Square Enix I only applied at companies as a gameplay or AI programmer.

L. Spiro

A woman president, nah...

2 hours ago, L. Spiro said:

Interesting. I can definitely see how that would happen. 

6 hours ago, swiftcoder said:
On 7/6/2017 at 9:47 AM, deltaKshatriya said:

I guess I'm just odd in that I prefer 3d art/modeling instead.

I do a bit of that too, but when it comes right down to it, I'm good at programming and pretty bad at art :)

For me, it's more that I need to do something completely different rather than being good or bad at it necessarily. I may end up doing some more game dev/programming as I get more used to work life, etc. I'm still trying to figure out things with work/life balance etc.

That and my art projects are just so big now. that when combined with other things I like to do, I don't really have time for more coding. And it's more of a time thing for me too. 

2 hours ago, L. Spiro said:
3 hours ago, deltaKshatriya said:

Ok, venturing into new thread territory here, but are you serious about this? It's just so utterly impossible to actually make a dent around here in politics without some serious backing (as I'm sure you already know)...