How Much Do You Program Outside of Work?

Started by
35 comments, last by Codeloader_Dev 6 years, 8 months ago
1 hour ago, deltaKshatriya said:

Are you burnt out of programming now because of your job at the moment, or just in general from doing it over the years?

From doing it over the years.  I am especially tired of graphics programming, which is why when I left Square Enix I only applied at companies as a gameplay or AI programmer.

1 hour ago, deltaKshatriya said:

What are you running for, out of curiosity?

President of the United States of America.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement
42 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

From doing it over the years.  I am especially tired of graphics programming, which is why when I left Square Enix I only applied at companies as a gameplay or AI programmer.

L. Spiro

A woman president, nah...

10 minutes ago, szecs said:

A woman president, nah...

I thought this was cleared up long ago.  My avatar is a drawing I did of a friend who I secretly wanted to marry.
http://l-spiro.deviantart.com/gallery/4844241/Realism

I am male.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

25 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

I thought this was cleared up long ago.  My avatar is a drawing I did of a friend who I secretly wanted to marry.
http://l-spiro.deviantart.com/gallery/4844241/Realism

I am male.

L. Spiro

My comment was supposed to be a joke. I know that you are a male.

2 hours ago, L. Spiro said:

Interesting. I can definitely see how that would happen. 

6 hours ago, swiftcoder said:
On 7/6/2017 at 9:47 AM, deltaKshatriya said:

I guess I'm just odd in that I prefer 3d art/modeling instead.

I do a bit of that too, but when it comes right down to it, I'm good at programming and pretty bad at art :)

For me, it's more that I need to do something completely different rather than being good or bad at it necessarily. I may end up doing some more game dev/programming as I get more used to work life, etc. I'm still trying to figure out things with work/life balance etc.

That and my art projects are just so big now. that when combined with other things I like to do, I don't really have time for more coding. And it's more of a time thing for me too. 

2 hours ago, L. Spiro said:
3 hours ago, deltaKshatriya said:

What are you running for, out of curiosity?

Ok, venturing into new thread territory here, but are you serious about this? It's just so utterly impossible to actually make a dent around here in politics without some serious backing (as I'm sure you already know)...

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

49 minutes ago, deltaKshatriya said:

Ok, venturing into new thread territory here, but are you serious about this? It's just so utterly impossible to actually make a dent around here in politics without some serious backing (as I'm sure you already know)...

This can be taken to a new thread if anyone wants, but I am serious enough to take courses, save money for my campaign, and go out of my way to make political contacts.   I'm tallying a list of policies, researching them, and practicing my answers to all of the questions I expect to get.  I have joined Justice Democrats and can get good backing from them as well.

I don't mind being told it is hard.
They told me it is hard to break into the video-game industry.
They told me it is hard to get a job in Japan.  It's hard learning piano by yourself, learning new languages, becoming an actor and appearing in movies, etc.

My answer has been and always will be: Challenge accepted.

L. Spiro

28 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

This can be taken to a new thread if anyone wants, but I am serious enough to take courses, save money for my campaign, and go out of my way to make political contacts.   I'm tallying a list of policies, researching them, and practicing my answers to all of the questions I expect to get.  I have joined Justice Democrats and can get good backing from them as well.

I don't mind being told it is hard.
They told me it is hard to break into the video-game industry.
They told me it is hard to get a job in Japan.  It's hard learning piano by yourself, learning new languages, becoming an actor and appearing in movies, etc.

My answer has been and always will be: Challenge accepted.

Researching politics, getting contacts and studying politics is good. Acquiring lots of political experience would even be much better, useful and is ESSENTIAL. In fact if you are going for POTUS in 2020, you should have already gone for and held 2 or 3 smaller offices such as state congress/senate and/or federal congress/senate. As you would know political experience in smaller offices would enable you to know and develop yourself more in tough difficult environment and thus make adjustments, improvements and advancements

Trump is not the norm. Trump's lack of political experience is more than compensated for by his grandiose status in other areas. But as had been mentioned - this is way off topic, so I will stop here 

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

I work as an iOS developer by day. So all my game-dev related programming is done outside of work. I'm finishing up my last year of college while working a full-time job, so my spare time is very limited now. It's sad really.

I used to do quite a bit, but these days I prefer to do something a bit more active in my free time (splitboarding, mountain biking, martial arts, etc). I don't even really play that many games these days.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Once I started applying myself at my game programming hobby, I stopped playing games during the week and programmed for 2-3 hours each night after work. On the weekend, I'd run or play an RPG and sometimes play some computer games, but I'd also code between 5-15 hours.  When I was more casual it was more of a weekend thing between 0 and 10 hours on the weekend.

I landed my dream job about a year and a half ago - working on Battletech. Since then, I haven't done very much programming on the side. Work has been keeping me pretty busy, plus it's scratching that game-dev itch for me. Though lately I've been finding myself thinking about different projects. :)

@L. Spiro - Good luck in your campaign. I think part of your platform should be: "I am intelligent." I'll vote for you. 

@deltaKshatriya - If your unasked question is "how do you stay motivated?", watch the movie Collateral.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement