deltaKshatriya

How Much Do You Program Outside of Work?

L. Spiro    25621
49 minutes ago, deltaKshatriya said:

Ok, venturing into new thread territory here, but are you serious about this? It's just so utterly impossible to actually make a dent around here in politics without some serious backing (as I'm sure you already know)...

This can be taken to a new thread if anyone wants, but I am serious enough to take courses, save money for my campaign, and go out of my way to make political contacts.   I'm tallying a list of policies, researching them, and practicing my answers to all of the questions I expect to get.  I have joined Justice Democrats and can get good backing from them as well.

I don't mind being told it is hard.
They told me it is hard to break into the video-game industry.
They told me it is hard to get a job in Japan.  It's hard learning piano by yourself, learning new languages, becoming an actor and appearing in movies, etc.

My answer has been and always will be: Challenge accepted.

L. Spiro

grumpyOldDude    2739
28 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

This can be taken to a new thread if anyone wants, but I am serious enough to take courses, save money for my campaign, and go out of my way to make political contacts.   I'm tallying a list of policies, researching them, and practicing my answers to all of the questions I expect to get.  I have joined Justice Democrats and can get good backing from them as well.

I don't mind being told it is hard.
They told me it is hard to break into the video-game industry.
They told me it is hard to get a job in Japan.  It's hard learning piano by yourself, learning new languages, becoming an actor and appearing in movies, etc.

My answer has been and always will be: Challenge accepted.

Researching politics, getting contacts and studying politics is good. Acquiring lots of political experience would even be much better, useful and is ESSENTIAL. In fact if you are going for POTUS in 2020, you should have already gone for and held 2 or 3 smaller offices such as state congress/senate and/or federal congress/senate. As you would know political experience in smaller offices would enable you to know and develop yourself more in tough difficult environment and thus make adjustments, improvements and advancements

Trump is not the norm. Trump's lack of political experience is more than compensated for by his grandiose status in other areas. But as had been mentioned - this is way off topic, so I will stop here 

DiharaW    382

I work as an iOS developer by day. So all my game-dev related programming is done outside of work. I'm finishing up my last year of college while working a full-time job, so my spare time is very limited now. It's sad really.

ChaosEngine    5185

I used to do quite a bit, but these days I prefer to do something a bit more active in my free time (splitboarding, mountain biking, martial arts, etc). I don't even really play that many games these days.

Eck    7581

Once I started applying myself at my game programming hobby, I stopped playing games during the week and programmed for 2-3 hours each night after work. On the weekend, I'd run or play an RPG and sometimes play some computer games, but I'd also code between 5-15 hours.  When I was more casual it was more of a weekend thing between 0 and 10 hours on the weekend.

I landed my dream job about a year and a half ago - working on Battletech. Since then, I haven't done very much programming on the side. Work has been keeping me pretty busy, plus it's scratching that game-dev itch for me. Though lately I've been finding myself thinking about different projects. :)

@L. Spiro - Good luck in your campaign. I think part of your platform should be: "I am intelligent." I'll vote for you. 

@deltaKshatriya - If your unasked question is "how do you stay motivated?", watch the movie Collateral.

- Eck

ChaosEngine    5185
2 hours ago, Eck said:

@L. Spiro - Good luck in your campaign. I think part of your platform should be: "I am intelligent." I'll vote for you. 

Clearly, intelligence is no longer a desirable attribute in a presidential candidate :D

L. Spiro    25621
11 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

Clearly, intelligence is no longer a desirable attribute in a presidential candidate

That's literally true.
A significant number of voters prefer candidates who are seen as "one of them," and associate intelligence with a "holier than thou" attitude.

L. Spiro

deltaKshatriya    2210
On 7/25/2017 at 11:09 PM, Eck said:

If your unasked question is "how do you stay motivated?", watch the movie Collateral.

It's not so much how do you stay motivated, it's more of how many people are still interested in doing programming even after spending 40+ hours a week doing programming/computer related stuff. I've found that I'm not super interested in doing coding related stuff after working because a): there's so many other things I have that I'm interested in doing, such as CG, Warhammer, MtG, reading, gaming, etc. and b): I've done enough coding at work, I'd rather do something different. Mainly I was curious how many people feel similarly if at all. When I initially asked this question, I was also wondering if maybe I'm in the wrong profession, but that, I now believe, was a question that rose out of other issues, not at all related to career, and I won't get into here for a variety of reasons. 

It does seem to be more common here to code in spare time than I'd initially imagined. I'd imagine there are many confounding factors I'm not really examining also. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the fact that this is primarily a game dev crowd as opposed to software dev? Just a thought. 

Eck    7581

I think you're only in the wrong profession if you don't enjoy your job. There's a limited number of hours in a lifetime. Most of those hours are dedicated to work, commuting, and sleep. If you can find a job you enjoy and can get paid a reasonable wage, you'll be a happier person. 

I love programming. But there were times in my career where work was more than enough programming for me. And I've known great coders who don't do much coding outside of work. And none of us were in the wrong profession. 

Making a cool game is on my list of things to do before I die. To make that happen, I had to play less table-top and computer games. Now I'm a professional game developer so I've been enjoying the hell out of my freetime playing tons of games and rpgs. :)

And yeah I think the audience for your survey is a little biased. Most people here aren't professional game developers, so they do game dev as a hobby or as more serious indie developers. To do that, they have to program outside of work.

- Eck

deltaKshatriya    2210
41 minutes ago, Eck said:

I think you're only in the wrong profession if you don't enjoy your job. There's a limited number of hours in a lifetime. Most of those hours are dedicated to work, commuting, and sleep. If you can find a job you enjoy and can get paid a reasonable wage, you'll be a happier person. 

I realize this, but I know for a fact that I'm not dissatisfied with my career choice now. There was something else on my mind that I didn't realize I was confusing with coding/software profession

42 minutes ago, Eck said:

I love programming. But there were times in my career where work was more than enough programming for me. And I've known great coders who don't do much coding outside of work. And none of us were in the wrong profession. 

Mainly just curious at the time about this. It's good to know and clear up any lingering doubts I may have had. Thanks man!

francoisdiy    140

Spent the whole weekend testing a game on my phone. It uses the GPS to track your position on a map and you complete courses and pick up items on screen. I'd say I program a lot and when I'm doing it I completely forget about work until the following Monday when I realize that my weekend of awesome just came to an end!