_Silence_    969

Radiometry, optics, electromagnetic waves are very large topics. I've read many books and articles wanting to talk about them, but which was doing it very badly. I guess that, for lighting computer graphics, focusing on the base principles is enough.

Talking about radiometry with forgetting about photometry is a good example about how large they are and how easy it is to omit some important things :)

I guess you should focus on what is radiance and irradiance since most PBR articles will talk about them.

Take it only as my two cents opinion.

nbertoa    1022

Hi, _Silence_

First of all, thanks for all your suggestions. I totally agree with you.

To avoid a very long post, I did not include radiometric units. I knew this was going to be an important omission, so I commented about this situation at the beginning and at the end of the article (and in Lighting Series main post). I plan to include photometry-radiometry comparison in the next post too.

Thanks again!

mafiesto4    640

So we are refreshing physics theory from the high school ;)

Anyway I think it's nice introduction but..

11 minutes ago, _Silence_ said:

I guess that, for lighting computer graphics, focusing on the base principles is enough.

..it would be just easier to describe L, V, N vectors, dot(N, L), etc. I assume this would go in the next post.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jan Haas
      Hello,
      I just found out about https://github.com/shader-slang/slang. It's a shader language and accompanied by a library that is supposed to make it easier to work with modular shaders.
      What do you think about that? 
      Here is the paper that describes the concept: http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/projects/shadercomp/he17_shadercomp.pdf
      Thanks in advance

• By DKdowneR
      Hi! I made a tile map reading from a file. Almost everything works good, but when a player go out of map, program runs into an error and says that "vector subscript out of range". My question is how to make check for it
      Drawing map : 
      void GameplayScreen::DrawMap(SDL_Renderer *renderer) { for (int y = map.size() - 1; y >= 0; --y) { for (int x = getStartBlockX(), xEnd = getEndBlockX(); x < xEnd && x < map[y].size(); ++x) { if (map[y][x] != "0,0") { int tempX = atoi(map[y][x].substr(0, map[y][x].find(',')).c_str()); int tempY = atoi(map[y][x].substr(map[y][x].find(',') + 1).c_str()); srcRect.x = tempX * 32; srcRect.y = tempY * 32; srcRect.w = 32; srcRect.h = 32; destRect.x = x * 32 + posX; destRect.y = (y * 32 + posY); destRect.w = 32; destRect.h = 32; vBlock[Earth]->Draw(renderer, srcRect, destRect); } } } } getStartBlockX returns first map block, getEndBlockX returns last, so it's like render on screen only a piece of map, not all blocks.
      tempX returns x coordinate of tile image,  tempY y coordinate. So, for example, if map is like :

0,0 0,0 0,0 0,0 0,0
      0,0 0,0 0,0 0,0 0,0
      1,0 2,0 0,3 1,0 1,0
      0,0 is first block image, 1,0 is one next to the first, 0,3 is 2 under the first block etc.

• By drcrack
      Hey
      I'm developing a game inspired by World of Warcraft PvP
      Key features:
      — It's not an MMORPG, you don't need to level up and gear up your characters
      — Many different rated and casual gamemodes: duels, 2v2 and 3v3 arenas, battlegrounds, deathmatches
      — Built-in voice and matchmaking without a party (if you don't want to push serious rating)
      — Non-targeting combat system
      Duels:
      3v3 with bots: 
      More videos coming soon!
    • By Arulbabu Donbosco
      There are studios selling applications which is just copying any 3Dgraphic content and regenerating into another new window. especially for CAVE Virtual reality experience. so that the user opens REvite or CAD or any other 3D applications and opens a model. then when the user selects the rendered window the VR application copies the 3D model information from the OpenGL window. 
      I got the clue that the VR application replaces the windows opengl32.dll file. how this is possible ... how can we copy the 3d content from the current OpenGL window.
      anyone, please help me .. how to go further... to create an application like VR CAVE. 

Thanks
    • By ramirofages
      Hi, I came across this udk article:
      https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Three/VolumetricLightbeamTutorial.html
      that somewhat teaches you how to make the volumetric light beam using a cone. I'm not using unreal engine so I just wanted to understand how the technique works.
      What I'm having problems is with how they calculate the X position of the uv coordinate, they mention the use of a "reflection vector" that according to the documentation (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/Vector/#reflectionvectorws ) it just reflects the camera direction across the surface normal in world space (I assume from the WS initials) .
      So in my pixel shader I tried doing something like this:
      float3 reflected_view = reflect(view_dir, vertex_normal); tex2D(falloff_texture, float2(reflected_view.x * 0.5 + 0.5, uv.y)) view_dir is the direction that points from the camera to the point in world space. vertex normal is also in world space. But unfortunately it's not working as expected probably because the calculations are being made in world space. I moved them to view space but there is a problem when you move the camera horizontally that makes the coordinates "move" as well. The problem can be seen below:

Notice the white part in the second image, coming from the left side.
      Surprisingly I couldn't find as much information about this technique on the internet as I would have liked to, so I decided to come here for help!
  • Popular Now