Upgrade from DX9 to DX11 or Directly delve into DX12?

Started by
4 comments, last by mafiesto4 6 years, 9 months ago

I sticked to DX9 a while back ago because I needed the D3DXLoadMeshFromX interface to work with. And I have done the assimp, so that is not necessary anymore.

Now I come across the need of a multithreaded renderer, and DX9 doesn't support it. The lowest version of DX that supports multithreaded renderers and still in the June 2010 SDK is
version 11. I don't know you would need the SDK 7.1 or up to use DX 12 (I got the hardware anyways).

The thing is for DX11, you still can use the D3DX library, so you can make a use back of your codebase without needing a lot of changes. So the another question is that is it very easy to migrate from DX9 to DX11? Or using the DX12 library from the SDK is just as easy?

Thanks
Jack

Advertisement

Once you learn to use it and get the boilerplate handled DX11 is easier to use than DX9. If your codebase is anything like sane then switching from 9 to 11 shouldn't be too difficult.

DX12 is a different animal altogether. DX12 is not "easy" and is not intended to be. It's a much lower-level graphics API.

If you're looking for a low level API then Vulkan may be a better choice than DX12, since they're essentially the same thing but Vulkan has wider support, not just for linux and android, but also for pre-10 versions of Windows.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

If you're moving to DX11 it's probably a good idea to use the XM functions instead of the D3DX stuff, since XM is much faster..!

.:vinterberg:.

D3DX was deprecated a long time ago and is not a part of the SDK. I don't think you can find it anywhere anymore, unless you want to dig around in the dark corners and alleyways of the interbutts and see what turns up.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Moving from DX9 to DX12 is like moving from JavaScript to C++.

Flax Game Engine - www.flaxengine.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement