• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Old Mohave Games Studio
      Bitcoin Survival! An 1-bit graphics charming game made in 5 days for the 2018's Crypto Game Jam. It's a Roguelike Clicker Game in which you must mine bitcoins to buy and upgrade itens in order to survive as long as you can! All assets original made by me. Come play. And, please, share and rate. Any suggestions for the game are welcome too. (ALSO REPORT ME ANY BUGS FOUND)
      DEVLOG. V. 0.2
      - The game has been extensively polished. Many bugs have been fixed and many features have been added to the game. The difficulty has been balanced once again. Maybe I still have to update some things in the tutorial, but that's easy and I will be doing this in the next days. Hope you enjoy the game at this actual stage. It's almost like a new game.
      - It's mobile compatible!
      IF YOU LIKED THE GAME, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO SHARE AND RATE IT! That would help me a lot.
      https://www.scirra.com/arcade/strategy-games/bitcoin-survival-28765

• By oranssi
      This is an adult psychedelic fighting game with spirits of the natural elements. 
      Choose your character to represent an anthropomorphic version of the different elements. 
      Earth, fire, air, water and more. There are 28 Archelemental spirits to unlock. 
      Take on challenges to earn more goodies such as sexy content, story modes and even make your own Archelemental to play and to share it with others.
      Download here :
      https://oranssi.itch.io/archelementals-of-eiss

Trailer :
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmBNu_dPN_Y

• By FB Fresh
      I would like to know if there are any game developers/ designers who could spare a few minutes for an email/ phone call interview if so please let me know ASAP very much appreciated thank you.
    • By Alex Daughters

Hi, I am currently a college student studying to become a Game Developer. I need to interview current game developers for a class I'm taking. if anyone seeing this could answer just the 5 questions that I have provided below as well as your name, current position, and how many years you've been in the game industry. I'd really appreciate any responses. 

Name:
      Position:
      Year in the industry:

What was the starting salary?
      How many hours do you work?
      What did you learn outside of school that was useful?
      How did you get your job and how hard was it to find it?
      how was this job different than you expected it to be?

Thank you for your time.
      -Alex Daughters
    • By RyRyB
      I got into a conversation awhile ago with some fellow game artists and the prospect of signing bonuses got brought up. Out of the group, I was the only one who had negotiated any sort of sign on bonus or payment above and beyond base compensation. My goal with this article and possibly others is to inform and motivate other artists to work on this aspect of their “portfolio” and start treating their career as a business. 
      What is a Sign-On Bonus?
      Quite simply, a sign-on bonus is a sum of money offered to a prospective candidate in order to get them to join. It is quite common in other industries but rarely seen in the games unless it is at the executive level. Unfortunately, conversations centered around artist employment usually stops at base compensation, quite literally leaving money on the table.
      Why Ask for a Sign-On Bonus?
      There are many reasons to ask for a sign-on bonus. In my experience, it has been to compensate for some delta between how much I need vs. how much the company is offering.
      For example, a company has offered a candidate a position paying $50k/year. However, research indicates that the candidate requires $60k/year in order to keep in line with their personal financial requirements and long-term goals. Instead of turning down the offer wholesale, they may ask for a $10k sign on bonus with actionable terms to partially bridge the gap.
      Whatever the reason may be, the ask needs to be reasonable. Would you like a $100k sign-on bonus? Of course! Should you ask for it? Probably not. A sign-on bonus is a tool to reduce risk, not a tool to help you buy a shiny new sports car.
      Aspects to Consider
      Before one goes and asks for a huge sum of money, there are some aspects of sign-on bonus negotiations the candidate needs to keep in mind.
      - The more experience you have, the more leverage you have to negotiate
      - You must have confidence in your role as an employee.
      - You must have done your research. This includes knowing your personal financial goals and how the prospective offer changes, influences or diminishes those goals.
      To the first point, the more experience one has, the better. If the candidate is a junior employee (roughly defined as less than 3 years of industry experience) or looking for their first job in the industry, it is highly unlikely that a company will entertain a conversation about sign-on bonuses. Getting into the industry is highly competitive and there is likely very little motivation for a company to pay a sign-on bonus for one candidate when there a dozens (or hundreds in some cases) of other candidates that will jump at the first offer.
      Additionally, the candidate must have confidence in succeeding at the desired role in the company. They have to know that they can handle the day to day responsibilities as well as any extra demands that may come up during production. The company needs to be convinced of their ability to be a team player and, as a result, is willing to put a little extra money down to hire them. In other words, the candidate needs to reduce the company’s risk in hiring them enough that an extra payment or two is negligible.
      And finally, they must know where they sit financially and where they want to be in the short-, mid-, and long-term. Having this information at hand is essential to the negotiation process.
      The Role Risk Plays in Employment
      The interviewing process is a tricky one for all parties involved and it revolves around the idea of risk. Is this candidate low-risk or high-risk? The risk level depends on a number of factors: portfolio quality, experience, soft skills, etc. Were you late for the interview? Your risk to the company just went up. Did you bring additional portfolio materials that were not online? Your risk just went down and you became more hireable.
      If a candidate has an offer in hand, then the company sees enough potential to get a return on their investment with as little risk as possible. At this point, the company is confident in their ability as an employee (ie. low risk) and they are willing to give them money in return for that ability.
      Asking for the Sign-On Bonus
      So what now? The candidate has gone through the interview process, the company has offered them a position and base compensation. Unfortunately, the offer falls below expectations. Here is where the knowledge and research of the position and personal financial goals comes in. The candidate has to know what their thresholds and limits are. If they ask for $60k/year and the company is offering $50k, how do you ask for the bonus? Once again, it comes down to risk.
      Here is the point to remember: risk is not one-sided. The candidate takes on risk by changing companies as well. The candidate has to leverage the sign-on bonus as a way to reduce risk for both parties.
      Here is the important part:
      A sign-on bonus reduces the company’s risk because they are not commiting to an increased salary and bonus payouts can be staggered and have terms attached to them. The sign-on bonus reduces the candidate’s risk because it bridges the gap between the offered compensation and their personal financial requirements.
      If the sign-on bonus is reasonable and the company has the finances (explained further down below), it is a win-win for both parties and hopefully the beginning a profitable business relationship.
      A Bit about Finances
      First off, I am not a business accountant nor have I managed finances for a business. I am sure that it is much more complicated than my example below and there are a lot of considerations to take into account. In my experience, however, I do know that base compensation (ie. salary) will generally fall into a different line item category on the financial books than a bonus payout. When companies determine how many open spots they have, it is usually done by department with inter-departmental salary caps.
      For a simplified example, an environment department’s total salary cap is $500k/year. They have 9 artists being paid $50k/year, leaving $50k/year remaining for the 10th member of the team. Remember the example I gave earlier asking for $60k/year? The company cannot offer that salary because it breaks the departmental cap. However, since bonuses typically do not affect departmental caps, the company can pull from a different pool of money without increasing their risk by committing to a higher salary.
      Sweetening the Deal
      Coming right out of the gate and asking for an upfront payment might be too aggressive of a play (ie. high risk for the company). One way around this is to attach terms to the bonus. What does this mean? Take the situation above. A candidate has an offer for $50k/year but would like a bit more. If through the course of discussing compensation they get the sense that $10k is too high, they can offer to break up the payments based on terms. For example, a counterpoint to the initial base compensation offer could look like this:
      - $50k/year salary
      - $5k bonus payout #1 after 30 days of successful employment
      - $5k bonus payout #2 after 365 days (or any length of time) of successful employment
      In this example, the candidate is guaranteed $55k/year salary for 2 years. If they factor in a standard 3% cost of living raise, the first 3 years of employment looks like this:
      - Year 0-1 = $55,000 ($50,000 + $5,000 payout #1)
      - Year 1-2 = $56,500 (($50,000 x 1.03%) + $5,000 payout #2)
      - Year 2-3 = $53,045 ($51,500 x 1.03%)
      Now it might not be the $60k/year they had in mind but it is a great compromise to keep both parties comfortable.
      If the Company Says Yes
      Great news! The company said yes! What now? Personally, I always request at least a full 24 hours to crunch the final numbers. In the past, I’ve requested up to a week for full consideration. Even if you know you will say yes, doing due diligence with your finances one last time is always a good practice. Plug the numbers into a spreadsheet, look at your bills and expenses again, and review the whole offer (base compensation, bonus, time off/sick leave, medical/dental/vision, etc.). Discuss the offer with your significant other as well. You will see the offer in a different light when you wake up, so make sure you are not rushing into a situation you will regret.
      If the Company Say No
      If the company says no, then you have a difficult decision to make. Request time to review the offer and crunch the numbers. If it is a lateral move (same position, different company) then you have to ask if the switch is worth it. Only due diligence will offer that insight and you have to give yourself enough time to let those insights arrive. You might find yourself accepting the new position due to other non-financial reasons (which could be a whole separate article!).
      Conclusion/Final Thoughts 
      When it comes to negotiating during the interview process, it is very easy to take what you can get and run. You might fear that in asking for more, you will be disqualifying yourself from the position. Keep in mind that the offer has already been extended to you and a company will not rescind their offer simply because you came back with a counterpoint. Negotiations are expected at this stage and by putting forth a creative compromise, your first impression is that of someone who conducts themselves in a professional manner.
      Also keep in mind that negotiations do not always go well. There are countless factors that influence whether or not someone gets a sign-on bonus. Sometimes it all comes down to being there at the right time at the right place. Just make sure you do your due diligence and be ready when the opportunity presents itself.
      Hope this helps!
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Lineage gameplay mechanic; managing bloodlines

So I'm designing a FPMMORP Survival Sandbox with a wide range of gameplay elements from the basics such as combat and crafting all the way to citybuilding and politics.

The core game mechanic revolves around the relationship between the player's Hinj, a spirit-like entity that exists in a parallel dimension with the power to affect the "real" one, and the Commoners and Heros. (Most of these terms are still placeholders, but give me your opinion on them/ideas for new ones)

Basically, each player is playing the game as a Hinj which has the ability to influence Commoners and possess Heros.

As a Hinj the player floats around with absolute freedom and the gameplay resembles that of a sort of RTS. In the beginning players have no bonds to any Hero's and therefore the first step is to create one by influencing a pair of Commoners to "descend" (my more polite word for breeding, as in to create descendants), or by finding an already pregnant woman. The player then uses an ability with a 24 hour real time cooldown called "Bond" that imparts a piece of the Hinj's essence onto the child which will allow it to possess them once they are born as they will now become a Hero.
Children born without this bond are Commoners

(the numbers that follow are preliminary and based on extremely rounded percentages based on the lifespan of an average human being, they will likely be tweaked for balance and playability and explained through lore. The average lifespan of a Commoner or Hero will be 2 real months or roughly 672 days in game)
Commoner pregnancies last 12 real hours or 6 days in game which is why finding an already pregnant woman can be beneficial, however the drawback to that is base stats are determined by the parents, so choosing who descends together allows for more custom stats. Hero's, because of the bond are born in 2 hours or 1 day in game.

During the pregnancy the player has time to alter the childs facial features with small variations to what they have inherited from the parents, and hair color.

Once born, the Hero transitions from an infant to a young adult at a greatly increased speed of a Commoner which takes 7 real days or 84 days in game (this timeframe will likely change to something closer to 1 real day, but I use it here to express that it will be a somewhat lengthy wait to encourage survival and give a heft to the death of a Hero or Commoner, as well as to encourage the player to continuously be Bonding with new Hero's and furthering the descension of their lineage) once this period is over the bond has fully matured and the Hero can be possessed which switches the gameplay into a FPRPG like ElderScrolls.

Mature Hero's can now descend with Commoners and pass on a fragment of their bond. Unless actively bonded with by the Hinj (which will incur only a 1/3 cooldown penalty) these children will be Tainted, halfbreeds between Commoners and Hero's that Hinj's will have more control over than basic Commoners.

Possession is never permanent, and the player has complete freedom to switch between playing as a Hero or controlling and influencing Hero's, Tainted, and Commoners as a Hinj.

The goal of the game is to build armies from tame creatures, magically created golems, hired Commoners and of course Tainted and Hero's, and war for control of territory and destroy enemy cities.

There's honestly so much more to the game than that, I've only just touched the surface, but this is the core mechanic that is the primary focus of the game, managing bloodlines and slowly evolving their stats over generations (each character has stats that are the average of their parents and will cap at a number that is likely 1.5 that number)
So the point is never to grow too attached with any one Hero since they can and will die at some point, but to pass on their genetics to future generations for further development.

Players will be able to descend their bloodlines together with the bloodlines of other players, but only one Hinj may bond with any Hero. Tainted born this way have enhanced controls for both Players, and this effect stacks each time a new player descends with his bloodline (it could, in theory, get to a point where every player on a server has enhanced control over a bloodline of tainted... unless it was changed so that bonds from previous generations degrade so that it could never be more than a certain amount of players who have such control)

Descending blood relations together is possible for freedom of roleplay, but if its too close (brother sister; mother, son) it incurs penalties detrimental to the bloodline and should be avoided. 5th cousins (or whatever further research says is biologically and ethically agreeable in humans) would descend normally.

Thanks for reading, please give me your thoughts and feedback on what could be expanded upon or improved, I'm eager to know if this is a game anyone but me would be interested in playing.

Cheers

Edited by AldoZeroun
grammar

Advertisement

The waiting is meant to create a sense of value for each life created kind of like how taming high level dinos in Ark takes hours.

One solution for players eager to play could be implementing a series of skill based mini games/tasks that a they can perform to speed up the process, increasing the bond so to speak. But this could mean letting the player play the hero as an infant and toddler, which could be interesting in its own way or turn out to just be weird. Two words: Fetus Minigame

Bond could also be adjusted so that it will work with any Commoner or Tainted, but in such a way that the bond is stronger in children or when made during conception, that way players have the option to jump right in. This could bring about a strategy where during a battle a player will use their Hinj to bond with one of the enemy forces to cause havoc, which I like in theory but will have to be specifically balanced so that it couldn't be abused

But the game would have plenty of things for the player to do as a Hinj, such as possessing animals and creating their own bloodlines and bonds, and influencing commoners to do things like build structures or farm or even tame animals. Like I said, I've barely touched the surface of what activities would occupy the players time. And time would pass constantly so even when you're not playing the game your Heros, Tainted and Commoners would still be growing, even while you sleep. After one day the process would quickly become too tedious to manage if it were to happen too quickly since every 8 hours a new Hero can be bonded with if they're from the bloodline of a previous Hero.