• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Court
      Hi there, I am currently studying a diploma of screen and media and want to move on to the bachelor of game animation and design after this course finishes. I was just wondering if there was any advice anyone had on landing job interviews and finding work in general for this field. I was also wondering how hard it is to find a job in this field for females as well?
      many thanks
    • By CocoaColetto
      Can I get in trouble for naming my game similar to one that's not in the same genre? For instance, if a game is named Playarada and I name my game Playarade, can I get in trouble? Be mindful that the games would be in two completely different genres. Thank you!
    • By x3ph3r
      A sticky dilemma.
      I'm part of a team based in USA that produces a virtual world software for remote business purposes. The businesses that use us are our Clients with users from all over the world (and expanding), but primarily in the USA. Our software makes use of customizable human avatars to use in world for each user. We have gotten requests from one of our biggest paying Clients and approval from boss to include religion based avatar clothing options (yamulkes, headscarves, skullcaps and turban head coverings currently, potentially garments too).
      As our software is used for business, most people want to keep their real world likeness, which may include some of this clothing because it is a part of their identity. Since this is such a sensitive topic on all sides involved and we are in a politically charged climate in the USA, clearly we don't want to offend anyone because they all pay us. In my opinion, even if this request was deemed as a reason for loss on Client's part, it will still be our company providing the service that will be affected primarily. As an emerging company we can't afford to lose users or current/potential Clients over something unrelated to the core mechanics or hardware requirements of the game.

How do we put it in the avatar creation menu? Keep it with the other head coverings (so not to upset/offend the religious wear users via segregation) or separate it (to protect from accidental abuse of said garments from ignorant users and offend everybody)? As difficult as it would be for us to do (right now), do we only allow access to certain users? Would that be going too far to request information such as this from users, or for them to have to volunteer it for access?

How do we talk about it with the client? When the concern was brought up, they warned us to be careful about using the term "religious wear", so we switched to the more broad "cultural wear", in which they again implied even that term might offend in discussion (because Texas users (very many) would get mad about their cowboy hats not being treated as culturally significant...) and client tactfully avoided telling us what they want us to call it themselves. How do we have a productive conversation though they put out a controversial request and are not willing to speak confidently on it's behalf?

• By DreamHack Activities
      3 Reasons Indies Should Apply for DreamHack's New Activities
      Coming to Austin June 1-3

We're expanding our DreamHack events to encompass a "Gaming Lifestyle" approach. So basically we're bringing a ton of new content to the already massive show that focuses on Indies, Tabletop, Films, Students, Art, and more. Of course this means we're making everything we're already doing even bigger and more awesome such as Esports, LAN, Music, Expo, and pretty much everything else.
      The Top 3 Activities Indies Should Apply For...
      1. Indie Playground: The Indie Playground is a curated area where games entered into our competition before the event have a chance to win a complimentary booth to showcase their game. The selected games are organized into 12 genre categories that are reflected in the layout of the Indie Playground. Multiple titles are selected for each genre ensuring attendees will enjoy as many indie titles as possible. It's free to enter and those selected will score a FREE 10'x10' booth. We're pretty flexible on what you can send us. If you're not finished with your game yet you can definitely still submit. We've judged and accepted tons of unfinished video games, tabletop, etc. before.
      Entry form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-IndiePlayground
      Deadline: April 20, 2018

2. Game Pitch Championship: The Game Pitch Championship was created to help build the skills you need to successfully get your product out there. Many developers are talented and either nail the build they have to show but don’t really nail the business plan or they nail the business plan and not the build. With a pitch, you have a short time to impress so you need to nail it all. This competition will not only help hone your skills with industry vets guiding your progress through the competition, but you’ll win accolades too. You could also win $2,500!
      Entry Form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-GamePitchChamp
      Prize: $2,500 USD

3. Art Gallery: Exactly as it sounds, our gallery showcases some of the most amazing artists in video games, tabletop, comics, anime, and more. DreamHack staff select a number of works then we just print cool art on canvas for FREE—your game gets a slice of advertising while our fans enjoy a non-TV wall on the expo floor. It doesn't even require you to be onsite for the event, so this one should be a no-brainer.
      Entry Form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-GameArtGallery

Good luck!! Reach out to sydney.mantrom@dreamhack.com for questions.

• By Squid Networks
      Important links

Website | Whitepaper | Onepager Facebook | Twitter | Telegram | LinkedIn
      SQUID token - SQWD

Opportunity for early supporters
      We are now at stage where we are able to start making connections with game developers who would be interested in being a part of Squid Networks in the future, not only would you be guaranteed a place on the Squid Platform but other incentives such as SQWD tokens and have a say in how the platform work, as after all game developers are extremely important in the market.
      If you are interested in be apart of Squid Networks please don't hesitate to get in touch respond on this thread or email us:
      business@squidnetworks.io
      Learn more about what we've done so far

Key developments
      Whitepaper version 1.0 is live - 05/04/18
      Video explainer is live - 10/04/18
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

What Would You Pay a game writer with this XP?

Any game devs: what is the max you'd be willing to pay a game writer with this experience?

l have some paid offers on the table but need to figure out a fair hourly rate:

• 15 years of writing experience with a heavy focus on original fiction
  • Published author (short and flash fiction) across multiple contests and literature magazines
  • Already been working with 2-3 game dev teams for the past month (rev-share)
  • lf you care enough/have the time, you can check out my latest published story to get an idea of my skill level

l'm a writer discussing direct payment for working on a game. Neither l nor the team leader have a clue what a fair hourly rate is for someone of my experience (or even if it should be done hourly, a single lump sum, weekly, etc) since this is both our first time in this situation (me getting paid directly to write outside rev-share, him paying a game writer).

Advertisement

I wouldn't pay anything and just have to write it myself. You like have the same chances of making money off games as a hit AAA title film. If I were you, I would get to employing your skills thinking of clever ways that involve plot and writing that can make game developers and publishers money, that make your skill essential. Just go into writing novels or adopt some kind of a all-purposes-involving-text role. [edit] Alternatively I would start some kind of a life long journey with some friends or whoever you decide to team up with to make a living doing this.

Edited by polyfrag

If I had the money and the need to hire a writer, as well as the faith that my game would yield a profit after investing in employees, then I would start by googling "game writer salary" and see that the result saying the average is about $50k per year (I'm assuming that's USD). That works out to about $24/hr. From there I would attempt to take into account my perception of the complexity of the deliverables I'd be expecting and any estimates of the time it'd take to complete. I would also factor in my budget as if I only have X dollars to spend on a writer then that's that.

I don't know how that'd compare to a writer's evaluation of the worth of his time and skills or his assessment of whether a project actually is as complex as the developer thinks. It'd probably be quite different.

But yeah, I guess when it comes to it, the max that I would pay would completely depend on what kind of budget I have.

1 hour ago, TheChubu said:

Surely if you have 15 years of experience you could tell us what has been your rate in all those years?

My freelance writer's rate is $50/hr

However, that's because of all my experience and accomplishments in the industry. l don't know whether or not it's fair to translate that to my game writer's rate, since i only have 1 month experience in game dev.

Even if it is, l also doubt that most independent teams l meet through game dev forums on sites like GameDev.net or game dev subReddits can afford/are willing to pay $50/hr. So l don't want to quote that rate and scare them off or something; l'm willing to be flexible as a game writer since i'm just starting out. Or maybe i don't need to be?

l honestly have no idea, that's why i'm asking more experienced people

1 hour ago, polyfrag said:

I wouldn't pay anything and just have to write it myself. You like have the same chances of making money off games as a hit AAA title film. If I were you, I would get to employing your skills thinking of clever ways that involve plot and writing that can make game developers and publishers money, that make your skill essential. Just go into writing novels or adopt some kind of a all-purposes-involving-text role. [edit] Alternatively I would start some kind of a life long journey with some friends or whoever you decide to team up with to make a living doing this.

l'm not sure what you mean in the beginning... l know it's next to impossible to get a full-time or even part-time position as a Game Writer with nothing in your portfolio. That said, l have 2 teams willing to pay me hourly/by the word/whatever to help them write the story, characters, dialogue, etc for their game. lt's not a permanent job, but it is money, however small. l'm more focused on building my game writing portfolio, but still need to eat

Maybe l wasn't clear in my post; l've already written tons of fiction. Several of my pieces have been published and won contests or awards. lt's not "writing novels" but as far as story-building skills go, it's essentially the same thing

I don't know if it's helpful to you to have Canadian stats but I had found this document awhile back Canada's Video Game Industry 2015. It indicates on page 16 some average salaries for 3 different company sizes. I believe you would fall under the Creative category. You'll have to figure out how it's relevant to your situation. Or maybe there's a similar study you can search for that's relevant for your location.

But maybe around $56k CDN for an intermediate position at a mid sized company.

Edited by kseh

"what would you pay a writer" is a Production question - not a Writing question, not a For Beginners question, and not a general Lounge question. Moving to Production/Management.