• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By fleissi
      Hey guys!

I'm new here and I recently started developing my own rendering engine. It's open source, based on OpenGL/DirectX and C++.
      The full source code is hosted on github:
      https://github.com/fleissna/flyEngine

I would appreciate if people with experience in game development / engine desgin could take a look at my source code. I'm looking for honest, constructive criticism on how to improve the engine.
      I'm currently writing my master's thesis in computer science and in the recent year I've gone through all the basics about graphics programming, learned DirectX and OpenGL, read some articles on Nvidia GPU Gems, read books and integrated some of this stuff step by step into the engine.

I know about the basics, but I feel like there is some missing link that I didn't get yet to merge all those little pieces together.

Features I have so far:
      - Dynamic shader generation based on material properties
      - Dynamic sorting of meshes to be renderd based on shader and material
      - Rendering large amounts of static meshes
      - Hierarchical culling (detail + view frustum)
      - Limited support for dynamic (i.e. moving) meshes
      - Normal, Parallax and Relief Mapping implementations
      - Wind animations based on vertex displacement
      - A very basic integration of the Bullet physics engine
      - Procedural Grass generation
      - Some post processing effects (Depth of Field, Light Volumes, Screen Space Reflections, God Rays)
      - Caching mechanisms for textures, shaders, materials and meshes

Features I would like to have:
      - Global illumination methods
      - Scalable physics
      - Occlusion culling
      - A nice procedural terrain generator
      - Scripting
      - Level Editing
      - Sound system
      - Optimization techniques

Books I have so far:
      - Real-Time Rendering Third Edition
      - 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11
      - Vulkan Cookbook (not started yet)

I hope you guys can take a look at my source code and if you're really motivated, feel free to contribute :-)
      There are some videos on youtube that demonstrate some of the features:
      Procedural grass on the GPU
      Procedural Terrain Engine
      Quadtree detail and view frustum culling

The long term goal is to turn this into a commercial game engine. I'm aware that this is a very ambitious goal, but I'm sure it's possible if you work hard for it.

Bye,

Phil
    • By tj8146
      I have attached my project in a .zip file if you wish to run it for yourself.
      I am making a simple 2d top-down game and I am trying to run my code to see if my window creation is working and to see if my timer is also working with it. Every time I run it though I get errors. And when I fix those errors, more come, then the same errors keep appearing. I end up just going round in circles.  Is there anyone who could help with this? 

Errors when I build my code:
      1>Renderer.cpp 1>c:\users\documents\opengl\game\game\renderer.h(15): error C2039: 'string': is not a member of 'std' 1>c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\include\10.0.16299.0\ucrt\stddef.h(18): note: see declaration of 'std' 1>c:\users\documents\opengl\game\game\renderer.h(15): error C2061: syntax error: identifier 'string' 1>c:\users\documents\opengl\game\game\renderer.cpp(28): error C2511: 'bool Game::Rendering::initialize(int,int,bool,std::string)': overloaded member function not found in 'Game::Rendering' 1>c:\users\documents\opengl\game\game\renderer.h(9): note: see declaration of 'Game::Rendering' 1>c:\users\documents\opengl\game\game\renderer.cpp(35): error C2597: illegal reference to non-static member 'Game::Rendering::window' 1>c:\users\documents\opengl\game\game\renderer.cpp(36): error C2597: illegal reference to non-static member 'Game::Rendering::window' 1>c:\users\documents\opengl\game\game\renderer.cpp(43): error C2597: illegal reference to non-static member 'Game::Rendering::window' 1>Done building project "Game.vcxproj" -- FAILED. ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========  

Renderer.cpp
      #include <GL/glew.h> #include <GLFW/glfw3.h> #include "Renderer.h" #include "Timer.h" #include <iostream> namespace Game { GLFWwindow* window; /* Initialize the library */ Rendering::Rendering() { mClock = new Clock; } Rendering::~Rendering() { shutdown(); } bool Rendering::initialize(uint width, uint height, bool fullscreen, std::string window_title) { if (!glfwInit()) { return -1; } /* Create a windowed mode window and its OpenGL context */ window = glfwCreateWindow(640, 480, "Hello World", NULL, NULL); if (!window) { glfwTerminate(); return -1; } /* Make the window's context current */ glfwMakeContextCurrent(window); glViewport(0, 0, (GLsizei)width, (GLsizei)height); glOrtho(0, (GLsizei)width, (GLsizei)height, 0, 1, -1); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); glfwSwapInterval(1); glEnable(GL_SMOOTH); glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glEnable(GL_BLEND); glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL); glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glLoadIdentity(); return true; } bool Rendering::render() { /* Loop until the user closes the window */ if (!glfwWindowShouldClose(window)) return false; /* Render here */ mClock->reset(); glfwPollEvents(); if (mClock->step()) { glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); glfwSwapBuffers(window); mClock->update(); } return true; } void Rendering::shutdown() { glfwDestroyWindow(window); glfwTerminate(); } GLFWwindow* Rendering::getCurrentWindow() { return window; } } Renderer.h
      #pragma once namespace Game { class Clock; class Rendering { public: Rendering(); ~Rendering(); bool initialize(uint width, uint height, bool fullscreen, std::string window_title = "Rendering window"); void shutdown(); bool render(); GLFWwindow* getCurrentWindow(); private: GLFWwindow * window; Clock* mClock; }; } Timer.cpp
      #include <GL/glew.h> #include <GLFW/glfw3.h> #include <time.h> #include "Timer.h" namespace Game { Clock::Clock() : mTicksPerSecond(50), mSkipTics(1000 / mTicksPerSecond), mMaxFrameSkip(10), mLoops(0) { mLastTick = tick(); } Clock::~Clock() { } bool Clock::step() { if (tick() > mLastTick && mLoops < mMaxFrameSkip) return true; return false; } void Clock::reset() { mLoops = 0; } void Clock::update() { mLastTick += mSkipTics; mLoops++; } clock_t Clock::tick() { return clock(); } } TImer.h
      #pragma once #include "Common.h" namespace Game { class Clock { public: Clock(); ~Clock(); void update(); bool step(); void reset(); clock_t tick(); private: uint mTicksPerSecond; ufloat mSkipTics; uint mMaxFrameSkip; uint mLoops; uint mLastTick; }; } Common.h
      #pragma once #include <cstdio> #include <cstdlib> #include <ctime> #include <cstring> #include <cmath> #include <iostream> namespace Game { typedef unsigned char uchar; typedef unsigned short ushort; typedef unsigned int uint; typedef unsigned long ulong; typedef float ufloat; }  
      Game.zip
    • By Old Mohave Games Studio
      Bitcoin Survival! An 1-bit graphics charming game made in 5 days for the 2018's Crypto Game Jam. It's a Roguelike Clicker Game in which you must mine bitcoins to buy and upgrade itens in order to survive as long as you can! All assets original made by me. Come play. And, please, share and rate. Any suggestions for the game are welcome too. (ALSO REPORT ME ANY BUGS FOUND)
      DEVLOG. V. 0.2
      - The game has been extensively polished. Many bugs have been fixed and many features have been added to the game. The difficulty has been balanced once again. Maybe I still have to update some things in the tutorial, but that's easy and I will be doing this in the next days. Hope you enjoy the game at this actual stage. It's almost like a new game.
      - It's mobile compatible!
      IF YOU LIKED THE GAME, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO SHARE AND RATE IT! That would help me a lot.
      https://www.scirra.com/arcade/strategy-games/bitcoin-survival-28765

• By Ricardo3Ddev
      Hi guys!
      This is a independent game being produced by me and my brother. We’ve been working on it for about 6 months and we’ve already done a good part of the game. We hope to finalize and make it available on Steam by the end of this year.
      We are using Blender 3D and Gimp software for production.

About the Game: Dongo Adventure will be a 3D platform style game, where the main character (Dongo) is a mouse that ventures through various scenarios (sewers, culverts, streets, electric grid, etc.) and faces several enemies along the way (cockroaches, mosquitoes, spiders, toxic gases, electrical wires, etc.). He carries a basket / backpack with cheeses that he uses to throw and defend himself from enemies, as well as being able to push objects that helps him to overcome obstacles. The ultimate goal will be a surprise!

Now we are developing new scenarios and enemies. We hope to publish news soon...
      Game page on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/811450/Dongo_Adventure/ - (Teaser UPDATED)
      Dongo Adventure - Indie Game Project (First Teaser) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2nmxtkE0xk

Thanks for following the project!

• By iradicator
      This is a general question about player controller on a surface that contains geometry (curved roads / slopes, mountains, etc.) and obstacles (walls). The game should simulate a simple physical model (acceleration, collisions, etc.) and the character should navigate convincingly through the terrain. 

I'm using Unity but I think this is a general question about how to design a character controller.

I wrote a simple character controller that uses player input to steer the character in the world. wasd keys move forward and turn. Since I'm controlling the character directly, I'm using a kinematic object (I don't even use the rigidbody) and moves it by setting the transform directly to some model I implemented (I have speed, acceleration, mass, etc.)

Why did I wrote a physical kinematic simulation? I tried to use a rigidbody and apply forces based on player's input directly on it but I found the control felt a little bit "swimmy" and it was hard to tweak (example: the character slammed hard and spun out of control (even when locking xz rotating direction), it took a long time to accelerate, etc.)

That worked well when during prototyping on a simple plane with no obstacles. Now I have a level with non-even geometry. The problem I have is how to make the players "stick" to the ground when they travel around (Prototype applies movement on the xz plane but doesn't take into account being connected to the floor). Another issue is to set the orientation (up vector) of the player (imagine a vehicle) in a way that looks both smooth and convincing - the vehicle should change its pitch / roll as it's navigating through some slopes. Even the simple example of a  vehicle starting to climb from a plane on a road with a constant slop (say 20 deg) should change the orientation in a convincing manner, i.e. the vehicle should not start to "lift the nose" before touching the ramp, nor should it "sink the nose" colliding into the ramp. Again, this is where the physical engine can come in handy, but when I tried to apply force going up the vehicle slowed down because of friction.

I also have problems with collisions since I'm moving the character directly by controlling its transform (kinematic), it feels weird and doesn't play well when the physics engine detects collisions and doesn't want to let the character penetrate a wall. It collides well with objects, it just feel very not natural.

The real questions here are about best approaches to design a character controller (note: that SHOULD be applied also to agents using AI steering algorithms - that also calculates forces or running a model underneath). 

1. How do you move a character? Are you using the physics engine to do the heavy lifting or you control the character directly like a kinematic object?
      2. If you're using physics, what's the best approach to apply forces? (yes, it depends on the game, but let's say some realistic based physics model with accelerations and forces - let's assume animations don't apply root motion - to simplify) In Unity, there are multiple ways to apply force - relative / non-relative, impulse / continuous etc.
      3, If you're not using physics, how do you make sure that collision detection play nice with your movement algorithms? How do you make collisions look natural and still give the player good control?
      4. Uneven terrain, how do you make the character (let's assume a vehicle - a car - with no complex animations (so no IK in play)) "stick" to the ground while changing its orientation (up vector) in a smooth and convincing manner?
      5. what's the best way to also allow the player to disconnect from the ground? (e.g. either jump or fall off platforms)

For me, rigidbody vs. kinematic is the key question here. I saw tutorials that use both - but since they were super simple they didn't deal with the problems I mentioned above in depth. I'm wondering what's the best approach for the player controller and would love to hear more points to consider and tips based on your experience. Pseudo code / code samples (in any language / engine) would be much appreciated. Thank you!
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

C++ How to move players up and down an array

Imagine a ladder with players up and down it. The better go towards the top, and the worst are at the bottom. These are constantly switching up and down, so when an event is triggered, I can grab the lowest on the ladder move them to spectator (perma death).

My problem is how can I write code in a way that will allow me to move them up and down. In Update() should I just check where they are on the leaderboards and reassign numbers, shifting everyone down. What is a good way to do this?

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Beastinlosers said:

In Update() should I just check where they are on the leaderboards and reassign numbers, shifting everyone down.

If you can just check where they are, doesn't that mean they are already in a correctly sorted array?

Anyway, I wouldn't put the moving up & down in Update. Put it wherever the score* is changed -- that's the only time the standings can change. The only thing I might want to put in Update is if you are displaying or animating the actual transition (if you can see players slide around in the ladder instead of just instantly always being in the correct spot).

I would probably just bubble sort from the affected player, with an early out if standings don't change.

*score being points or whatever metric you are using to sort the array.