• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By eldwin11929
      We're looking for a Unity (C#) Programmer for our 2D Project. We're looking for a new lead programmer to continue with an existing project.

Project is an open-world RTS, and is very close to a prototyping (playable) phase. Our existing lead, unfortunately, has no more time for the project, and thus we are in search of a new one who is interested.

Game is purely fantasy based, and we'll be able to give you much more detailed info about the project as we begin to work you into it.

You'll be working with our junior developer, who has been here since the beginning.

Primary skills needed are just being able to work within Unity. But skills within XML are also a plus.

Our list of major goals we'd need you to do is minimal, yet still fairly extensive:
      -Edit our current Pathfinding system to account for a few extra features.
      -Setup our global map system. You’ll be working off an existing random node-map web generator and existing random map generation system and essentially linking the two together. This includes handling random spawns (which has already been semi-setup) unique to each node’s respective map.
      -Further implementation of an existing random spawning algorithm (used to spawn things like enemies randomly across the Map).
      -Making sure to Save and Record all respective aspects of what was mentioned above.
      -Handling our XML database- database is created, but we’ll need to be integrating it. This includes all various things from units to abilities and so forth. Will also need to handle implementing an object’s unique attributes we cannot take care of within XML.
      -Various Content Implementation (to be done once our XML has been integrated).
      -Various Saving and Recording of all respective aspects of the database info mentioned above.
      -Various Performance Enhancements.
      -Potential for various misc things, such as further UI work.
      -Setting up a Menu system.

We have a considerable amount of things done already- however I must warn ahead of time we have quite a bit of unclean code, which may be fairly overwhelming for a new developer on the project.

Let me know your rates per hour, and we'll see if we can work out a good deal between both of us. Royalties are also included.

If interested, send an email to: eldwin11929@yahoo.com

Thanks!
    • By bschmidt1962
      Hi GameDev Music folks!
      Submissions are now open to speak at GameSoundCon 2018 (Oct 9-10, Los Angeles).
      Any topic of timely interest in game music, sound design will be considered. Potential topics include:
      Audio for VR/AR/MR
      Game Audio post-morta
      Tools
      Interactive composition techniques
      Business/career/legal
      Cutting edge research in game music/sound topics
      Or any cool topic of interest for professional and aspiring game composers, sound designer, programmers, audio directors

For details please visit www.GameSoundCon.com/submissions 

• By Ronan Hayes
      So i am working on a java swing breakout game and am on the last task to complete, which is detecting collision with a brick and then deleting it from the array so it cannot be seen on the screen. I have created a for loop which is somewhat working however the ball bounces off the bat/paddle and goes straight through the first few rows of bricks and then start to detect only the rows around the 6/7th row. Here is the loop i am working on. 
      public void runAsSeparateThread() { final float S = 3; // Units to move (Speed) try { synchronized ( Model.class ) // Make thread safe { GameObj ball = getBall(); // Ball in game GameObj bat = getBat(); // Bat ArrayList<GameObj> bricks = getBricks(); // Bricks } while (runGame) { synchronized ( Model.class ) // Make thread safe { float x = ball.getX(); // Current x,y position float y = ball.getY(); // Deal with possible edge of board hit if (x >= W - B - BALL_SIZE) ball.changeDirectionX(); if (x <= 0 + B ) ball.changeDirectionX(); if (y >= H - B - BALL_SIZE) // Bottom { ball.changeDirectionY(); addToScore( HIT_BOTTOM ); } if (y <= 0 + M ) ball.changeDirectionY(); // As only a hit on the bat/ball is detected it is // assumed to be on the top or bottom of the object. // A hit on the left or right of the object // has an interesting affect boolean hit = false; // *[3]******************************************************[3]* // * Fill in code to check if a visible brick has been hit * // * The ball has no effect on an invisible brick * // ************************************************************** for ( int i = 0; i <= 60; i++ ){ GameObj brick1 = bricks.get(i); if ( brick1.hitBy(ball) ){ bricks.remove(i); //hit = true; ball.changeDirectionY(); //ball.changeDirectionX(); addToScore(50); } } if (hit) ball.changeDirectionY(); if ( ball.hitBy(bat) ) ball.changeDirectionY(); } modelChanged(); // Model changed refresh screen Thread.sleep( fast ? 2 : 20 ); ball.moveX(S); ball.moveY(S); } } catch (Exception e) { Debug.error("Model.runAsSeparateThread - Error\n%s", e.getMessage() ); } } } i need to be able to break each brick individually and for them to rebound ... this is the code that i am working with so far 
      for ( int i = 0; i <= 60; i++ ){ GameObj brick1 = bricks.get(i); if ( brick1.hitBy(ball) ){ bricks.remove(i); //hit = true; ball.changeDirectionY(); //ball.changeDirectionX(); addToScore(50); } }  
    • By Jiraya
      For a 2D game, does using a float2 for position increases performance in any way?
      I know that in the end the vertex shader will have to return a float4 anyway, but does using a float2 decreases the amount of data that will have to be sent from the CPU to the GPU?

• By ThunderTwonk
      Hello everyone, I am working on a game idea and since I am still in the process of learning C# and the features available in unity I was hoping some of you might be able to offer me a little insight on things in general for getting started.
      I guess the basic components of what I'm wanting to create would be a Multi-levels management/city builder/rpg.
      The goal is to provide a framework for players to interact with, build in and affect the world both from a 3rd person action RPG as well as a zoomed out 4x style view (This would be something unlocked through gameplay)

As for my questions go I was wondering if anyone had resources that could help me learn.  I've been on youtube as well as enrolled in an online course for basic unity and C# and will continue those but if anyone has any words of advice, a place that has good information and tutorials etc.

Thanks for your time.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Valknut is looking for C++ programmers, 2d artists and sound compositors

Advertisement

These roles are currently needed. 

+1 artist role unfilled

Must have good experience in character art. You will have to take tasks that are associated with characters uniforms and variances of faces and hair.

You know how to wand and rotate clothing onto the characters animations.

+1 sound composer role unfilled

Must have more than three years experience. Clicks with game music very good and can make them himself.
A plus if you can make sound effects.

+1 programmer role unfilled

Must have good experience in C++.
A plus if you have worked on 2d rpg games before.

Edited by Oxin