• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By jsquare89
      I am somewhat new to game development and trying to create a basic 3d engine. I have managed to set up a first person camera and it seems to be working fine for the most part. While I am able to look up, down, left and right just fine the camera is constrained to the mouse movement in the window (i.e when the mouse reaches edges of the window it discontinues camera rotation and mouse is out of window bounds. I tried to use SDL_WarpMouseInWindow(window, center.x,center.y) but when I do this then it messes up the camera and the camera is stuck, even though there is some slight movement of the camera, it keeps going back to the center.
      void Camera::UpdateViewByMouse(SDL_Window &window, glm::vec2 mousePosition)
      {
      float xDistanceFromWindowCenter = mousePosition.x - ((float)1024 / 2) ;
      float yDistanceFromWindowCenter = ((float)720 / 2) - mousePosition.y;
      yaw = xDistanceFromWindowCenter * cameraRotationSpeed;
      pitch = yDistanceFromWindowCenter * cameraRotationSpeed;
      SDL_WarpMouseInWindow(&window, 1024 / 2, 768 / 2); }
      i’ve been stuck on this for far too long. any help would be much appreciated
      i have also tried relative mouse movement,  and .xrel and .yrel to avail. polling mouse state with sdl_event. I do also know that SDL_WarpMouseInWindow makes change to event and have tried also ignore and reenabling to no avail
    • By smit patil
      I am at the first year of diploma and I am planing to make a nice small 2D or 3D First Person Shooter game . As I mentioned I am just at first year in IT ,I Dont know much about game developing but I do know lots of more things that normal 1st and even 3rd year students . 
      I  Know Java,C,C++ and little bit of python and GTK+ framework . I am currently trying to learn SDL and Qt with C++. I will also happily learn new technology if required to make games.
      Now my main Question's are:-
      How much time will it take to make SMALL 2D game as a single person in SDL while LEARNING SDL ?
      How much time will it take to make SMALL 3D game as a single person in SDL while LEARNING SDL ?
      Will learning Qt help me make games faster or with High performance ?
      My main platform is Linux and Android.I don't care if It runs on windows or Mac but it should run fine on Linux .

Thanks in advance

• By starfruit64
      Hello,
      I'm programming a simple rougelike video game for fun. I'm running into a very difficult problem with my room generation code, specifically the part that deals with the maze-like hallway to connect the randomly placed rooms inside a dungeon, using the depth-first search method. The code I've written is kinda long and probably hard to read, but I seriously cannot figure out what is causing the issue so try to bear with me please.
      Below is the header file for the Floor class, which generates the floor of the dungeon.
      #ifndef FLOOR_H_ #define FLOOR_H_ #include <iostream> #include <vector> #include <algorithm> #include "Cell.h" class Floor { private: int attempts; //Amount of attempts it tries to place a room before giving up. More attempts = more cramped. int maxdoor; //Maximum amount of doors on each room int maxroom; //Maximum number of rooms. 0 for 999. int maxheight, minheight; int maxwidth, minwidth; int maxbigroom; std::vector<std::vector<Cell> > region; //A collection of regions. A region is a collection of cells (rooms & hallway) std::vector<Cell> temp_region; //Used to fill the region. std::vector<Cell> temp_maze; std::vector<Cell> maze; public: Floor(); void init(int attempts, int maxdoor, int maxroom, int maxwidth, int minwidth, int maxheight, int minheight, int maxbigroom); void gen(Cell cell[120][60], SDL_Texture* tex); bool check_walls(Cell cell[120][60], int* x, int* y); }; #endif The main thing that is important in this header is the temp_maze vector, which is used to keep track of the current section of the maze that has been carved out, so that when the maze hits a dead end it can back track. is the Cell is a class that represents a cell in the 2D grid that the player can move on. For the issue of this post, just think of each Cell as having an X integer, a Y integer, and a Bool to keep track of whether or not the cell is opened up. 
      Below is the part of the gen function that deals with the hallway generation.
      //Hallway Generation int cur_x, cur_y; //Current cell being tested bool time_to_break; for (int i = 1; i < 119; i++) { for (int j = 1; j < 59; j++) { if (cell[i][j].return_blockade() == true && cell[i + 1][j].return_blockade() == true && cell[i][j + 1].return_blockade() == true && cell[i - 1][j].return_blockade() == true && cell[i][j - 1].return_blockade() == true) { //Start of a path cur_x = i; cur_y = j; while (true) { cell[cur_x][cur_y].set_bloc(false); //Opens up cell cell[cur_x][cur_y].set_tex(tex); cell[cur_x][cur_y].set_default_tex(tex); temp_maze.push_back(cell[cur_x][cur_y]); if (check_walls(cell, &cur_x, &cur_y) == false) { std::cout << "Entering nospace" << std::endl; std::cout << "Size of k: " << temp_maze.size() << std::endl; for (int k = temp_maze.size() - 1; k > -1; k--) { int xte = temp_maze[k].return_rect().x / 15; int yte = temp_maze[k].return_rect().y / 15; std::cout << "k: " << k << std::endl; std::cout << "rect_x: "<< temp_maze[k].return_rect().x<< " rect_y : "<< temp_maze[k].return_rect().y<< std::endl; std::cout << "x_te: " << xte << " y_te: " << yte << std::endl; if (check_walls(cell, &xte, &yte) == true) { cur_x = xte; cur_y = yte; std::cout << "Exiting nospace via newblock" << std::endl; break; } if (k == 0) { time_to_break = true; std::cout << "Exiting nospace via noviableblock" << std::endl; break; } } } if (time_to_break == true) { time_to_break = false; temp_maze.clear(); break; } } } } } The broad idea is that, starting from the top-left cell, we scroll through them until we find a cell that is not blocked, nor has any neighbors that are blocked. Than we open that cell up, add it to the temp_maze vector, and check whether it has any viable neighbors. If it does, it moves cur_y and cur_x to that new cell and repeats. If it doesn't have any viable neighbors, than it goes through the temp_maze vector until either it finds a cell that has viable neighbors, or it reaches the end of the vector. This is accomplished with the check_walls function.
      bool Floor::check_walls(Cell cell[120][60], int* x, int* y) { int ori_x = *x; int ori_y = *y; std::cout << "Entering checkwalls with x: " << ori_x << " y: " << ori_y << std::endl; if (cell[ori_x][ori_y].return_blockade() == true) { std::cout << "Checkwalls returns false due to being blocked" << std::endl; return false; } while (true) { *x = ori_x; *y = ori_y; bool upblock, rightblock, downblock, leftblock; int sidecount = 0; int dir = rand() % 4; if (dir == 0) { *y = (*y) - 1; } else if (dir == 1) { *x = (*x) - 1; } else if (dir == 2) { *y = (*y) + 1; } else if (dir == 3) { *x = (*x) + 1; } if (*x <= 0 || *y <= 0) { sidecount = 8; dir = 5; *x = ori_x; *y = ori_y; } if (cell[*x + 1][*y].return_blockade() == false) { sidecount++; } if (cell[*x - 1][*y].return_blockade() == false) { sidecount++; } if (cell[*x][*y + 1].return_blockade() == false) { sidecount++; } if (cell[*x][*y - 1].return_blockade() == false) { sidecount++; } if (sidecount <= 1) { std::cout << "Checkwalls returns true" << std::endl; return true; } else { if (dir == 0) { upblock = true; } else if (dir == 1) { leftblock = true; } else if (dir == 2) { downblock = true; } else if (dir == 3) { rightblock = true; } } if (upblock == true && leftblock == true && downblock == true && rightblock == true) { *x = ori_x; *y = ori_y; std::cout << "Checkwalls returns false" << std::endl; return false; } } } The basic idea here is that if one of the neighbors are available, than it moves x & y to that cell and return true, and if there are none, than return false.

The problem is that when I run this the temp_maze  function seems to get filled with the same cell, and time_to_break never gets set to true, as the vector seems to never end. Once again I understand this is kind of a lot but I have looked at this for a couple days now and have no idea what i am doing wrong, so any help would be very much appreciated.
    • By reenigne
      For those that don't know me. I am the individual who's two videos are listed here under setup for https://wiki.libsdl.org/Tutorials
      I also run grhmedia.com where I host the projects and code for the tutorials I have online.
      Recently, I received a notice from youtube they will be implementing their new policy in protecting video content as of which I won't be monetized till I meat there required number of viewers and views each month.

Frankly, I'm pretty sick of youtube. I put up a video and someone else learns from it and puts up another video and because of the way youtube does their placement they end up with more views.
      Even guys that clearly post false information such as one individual who said GLEW 2.0 was broken because he didn't know how to compile it. He in short didn't know how to modify the script he used because he didn't understand make files and how the requirements of the compiler and library changes needed some different flags.

At the end of the month when they implement this I will take down the content and host on my own server purely and it will be a paid system and or patreon. 

I get my videos may be a bit dry, I generally figure people are there to learn how to do something and I rather not waste their time. 
      I used to also help people for free even those coming from the other videos. That won't be the case any more. I used to just take anyone emails and work with them my email is posted on the site.

I don't expect to get the required number of subscribers in that time or increased views. Even if I did well it wouldn't take care of each reoccurring month.
      I figure this is simpler and I don't plan on putting some sort of exorbitant fee for a monthly subscription or the like.
      I was thinking on the lines of a few dollars 1,2, and 3 and the larger subscription gets you assistance with the content in the tutorials if needed that month.
      Maybe another fee if it is related but not directly in the content. 
      The fees would serve to cut down on the number of people who ask for help and maybe encourage some of the people to actually pay attention to what is said rather than do their own thing. That actually turns out to be 90% of the issues. I spent 6 hours helping one individual last week I must have asked him 20 times did you do exactly like I said in the video even pointed directly to the section. When he finally sent me a copy of the what he entered I knew then and there he had not. I circled it and I pointed out that wasn't what I said to do in the video. I didn't tell him what was wrong and how I knew that way he would go back and actually follow what it said to do. He then reported it worked. Yea, no kidding following directions works. But hey isn't alone and well its part of the learning process.

So the point of this isn't to be a gripe session. I'm just looking for a bit of feed back. Do you think the fees are unreasonable?
      Should I keep the youtube channel and do just the fees with patreon or do you think locking the content to my site and require a subscription is an idea.

I'm just looking at the fact it is unrealistic to think youtube/google will actually get stuff right or that youtube viewers will actually bother to start looking for more accurate videos. 
    • By Jeff de Anda
      Question about SDL_Rect scope.
      Say I have a member function like so.
      void drawRect(int x, int y, int w, int y) { SDL_Rect r = {x, y, w, h}; SDL_RenderDrawRect(m_renderer, &r); } Will it cause problems if SDL_Rect goes out of scope before calling SDL_RenderPresent?
      I cannot tell if the values are copied from SDL_Rect when calling SDL_RenderDrawRect or if internally SDL is storing the pointer until SDL_RenderPresent is called.
      Thanks!
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

SDL Mali OpenGL ES emulator conflict with SDL2 on linux

I'm developing an android game and have been primarily using a PC build (on windows) with the Mali OpenGL ES 2.0 emulator, with a secondary Android Studio build for the devices. For various reasons I'm trying to change over to Linux, and I have Linux Mint on a new PC, and so I'm trying to get a similar PC build working under linux, however I am an absolute beginner at linux.

It seems that a sensible option might be to use SDL on linux for stuff like creating a window, keyboard input etc. I gather that SDL2 is just the most up to date version of SDL, so I have been installing that with apt-get. However, when I try and install the Mali OpenGL ES emulator from ARM, I am getting a conflict:

installed package 'libegl1-mesa-dev' conflicts with the installed package 'libgles2-mesa-dev'

I am guessing this means that both SDL2 and Mali have some egl functionality, and they are treading on each others toes? There is some mention of this in the Mali help file:

Caution: OpenGL ES Emulator can conflict with other OpenGL ES implementations if such are
installed on your system. In particular, it will conflict with libEGL.so and libGLES.so libraries
installed with libgles2-mesa, libegl1-mesa packages. The dpkg tool will refuse to install
OpenGL ES Emulator DEB package. We recommend removing these conflicting Mesa libraries
prior to installing the Emulator. If for any reason you would like to have both conflicting software
installed on your machine, you can enforce the installation by adding --force-all command
line option:

Is this --force-all option what I should do? Or is there no way to get SDL2 and Mali to play together? If not SDL2 then how should I be using Mali under linux (i.e. what other API should I be talking to for creating a window, keyboard input etc?)?

Advertisement

The emulator libraries are conflicting with the video drivers for your host operating system.  You could remove the video drivers for your host operating system (like by using --force-all) if you want, but the productivity resulting from staring at a black screen is relatively low.

I'm not sure how this emulator is supposed to work, but my guess is you're supposed to be installing the driver package in an ARM image that gets run using QEMU or something.  That means you'd either be building in the ARM virtual machine itself (in which case there should be no conflict, because it's a separate OS install) or else cross-building on the host in which case the packages should not conflict because they'd have different installation paths.  So either the packaging for the libraries you're trying to install is completely broken for your purpose, or you're trying to set up and install incorrectly.

Do you know if the Android Studio you're using on Linux does cross-compiling on the host or does it use a full system VM?

The Mali OpenGL ES emulator works afaik by translating the openg es calls into regular desktop opengl calls, only allowing a subset of the full opengl, and performing lots of validation. This is what it appeared to do on windows, and everything I've read suggests it may be doing the same on linux.

What is slightly confusing is that there may be some kind of mesa opengl es support built into my linux, presumably as it may be running on hardware that *does* natively support opengl es(?). What that does if you call it without hardware support I have no idea, I wish I could find some decent linux for dummies tutorials lol.:$

I did manage to successfully install the mali emulator by first uninstalling sdl2. However, it gets worse. Their test cube app failed, apparently because it is trying to use the fallback compatibility opengl 3.0 profile instead of the core 4.3 profile on my kaby lake PC. The docs suggest this maybe because they've only tested it with nvidia hardware, but I haven't a clue, maybe I would have to force it to use the core profile somehow.

I'm now trying to get some PowerVR OpenGL ES emulator working, in the hope it plays nicer. I have managed to get some SDL / opengl es code to compile and link, but not show a triangle yet so I don't know if it is working...:/

Doh! O.o After all that, I'm getting the inkling that linux may just support opengl es 2.0 out of the box, via the open source mesa driver thingies. Here was me thinking it was something to do with the black mesa research facility. Anyway I've successfully got a triangle on the screen, am praying it is not software emulated... :D

GNU/Linux supports OpenGL ES 2 out of the box.  Desktop, phone, tablet, toaster, it doesn't matter.

The Mesa drivers implement a common codepath for most of OpenGL and OpenGL ES, and uses hardware acceleration where available for Intel and AMD hardware (either through the Gallium libraries or the open-source AMD libraries).  The nVidia binary blob drivers do the same thing as the Mesa drivers, but through binary blobs so you'd need inside information to know that.

The Mali drivers are for ARM hardware.  You can, of course, run GNU/Linux on ARM hardware, and you can run Android/Linux on ARM hardware.  This may be why it's confusing, and trying to install the ARM Mali drivers on an x86 GNU/Linux desktop system is just going to give you grief.