Acharis

Space emperor (the player) and noble houses (AI)

Acharis    5979

This topic is to gather various somewhat related ideas, so feel free to go offtopic :) I don't have a specific question, I just wanted to discuss something along the lines described below.

The player is the emperor (4X game), there are noble houses (3-8 of those, all AI controlled) and traditional aliens (AI controlled). I'm looking for a mechanic where the player wants to support noble houses (friendly AI) because he needs them (what for?) but not too much because if the noble houses become too powerfull they might want to overthrow the emperor (or do other nasty stuff). Also the player needs to keep in check alien powers (hostile AI), possibly using noble houses for this purpose (but not necessarily).

So, basically it's a single player game where you deal with various AIs (which range between friendly and hostile).

Especially I'm interested in:

- what's the source of political power of noble houses?

- do noble houses have an army? or only the empire has it?

- who controls the army/fleet? the player (emperor) or the AI (noble houses)? Or maybe a mix (like the player gives generic orders and the AI executes it, unless it does not feels like it and want to oppose the emeperor :D)

- what's the economic base of the houses (possibly charters to planets granted by the emperor?)

- I feel noble houses should somehow be a political elite of the empire (admirals? advisors?)

- why the player needs the noble houses?

- why the player does not want the noble houses to be too powerful?

- why the player wants the noble houses to be content?

1 - I think it depends on how empire is organized. If there are noble houses, they're expected to have some authority over some territory imo. And mere nobility is enough source of power :)

2 - Again it depends, noble houses have army in Game of Thrones :D , I think it's a bit work but logical to implement a mechanic with benefits and consequences of keeping power in one hand or distributing it :)

3 - It should be emperor commanding, noble houses might fight for getting office in army and senate (if any) like Rome

4 - Vast estates and trade privileges might be a good idea.

5 - Like houses fight for offices in Rome Total War, they should fight for political power for their own agenda

6 - Player might need noble houses in order to be able to govern a vast empire from single throne ( or may not as Ottoman empire didn't :) )

7 - It actually depends on the way mechanic works. If emperor comes from a noble house, it's obvious that Emperor prefers own house to be powerful but if it's directly hereditary , an overpowerful house may try to seize power

8 - An internal conflict between houses might cripple Empire and force Emperor to take a side which might have other consequences

Deflinek    1619

The houses may have influence in various sections of the empire (ministries?), especially without 1-1 relationship. I mean single house can have different influence in say... research, military and espionage. If you support a house it gains the influence in existing and new sections.

Now, if player wants to make decision "not in line" with influential house (i.e. cut all research funds in favour of army) then the research ministry will object and it won't happen. It may serve as a little hand holding at start for the player to not do anything stupid :). But if he supports the house so it "likes" him they can agree to that decision.

That way if player wants to explore more extreme path of the empire he will have to gain support of some of the houses to be able to make the decisions.

And I agree supporting single house should be stupid idea as too powerful one would end emperor's career.

Polama    1105

Here's how I might approach it: The noble houses rule baronies of planets. The emperor is the political leader of the empire, but lacks direct authority: he requests fleets, taxes, etc. from the nobility and they provide it (or don't).

The barons are mostly in competition with each other: they view themselves as the true source of power in the empire. They covet each other's planets and nurse secret ambitions to raise a large enough fleet to seize control over the entire empire.

As the emperor, you have a certain amount of discretion in doling out power. Newly settled or conquered planets must be granted to the barons. Internal migration and trade rules shift economic power. If you build a new spacestation the baron controlling it is strengthened. If a baron acts against your wishes (or more importantly, against the wishes of his fellow barons) you can punish him, giving away planets.

Possibly you can play the whole game this way, making sure no baron gets strong enough to seize control while keeping them happy enough to not just kick you off the throne. But more likely you'll want to strengthen your tenuous source of power. As you have successes, you can increase the imperial authority. First you might make military requisitions mandatory. Then you form an imperial fleet directly in your control. Eventually you claim direct authority over the fleet. You claim a capital planet in your control, then a whole imperial barony. If you act too rashly the barons will dipose you, but by keeping them focused on each other and slowly gaining power you can eventually abolish them and take sole control.

From a gameplay perspective, this also provides a natural feature gating mechanism. At the start the barons are powerful so you have limited tools at your disposal. By taking a power (I get to appoint the high admirals) you unlock a new mechanic, hopefully having figured out the basic ones by now.

LorenzoGatti    4442

A space empire lends itself very naturally to a feudal hierarchy: central government, star systems (almost isolated from each other), planets and asteroids in a star system, separate colonies or nations on the same planet.

As Polama suggests, federal bureaucracies are the natural "enemy" of feudal power, and they are supposed to be on the emperor's side; however, they might be defeated or intimidated or subverted. To avoid civil war, the feudal powers could be purposefully crushed by difficult tasks (e.g. defend your piece of the frontier from aliens) and competing for limited resources rather than directly conflicting with each other.

Also, the purpose of the emperor should be to remain in power and make the empire prosper, not necessarily to replace an explicit and healthy feudal organization with secret influences and plots to control bureaucratic organizations.

Depending on how the empire forms, the "nobles" might be:

• recently appointed by the emperor, and possibly temporary (e.g. a military governor)
  • leaders (or more impersonal governments) of politically united planets or systems that join a federation and retain autonomy,
  • also, leaders of megacorps, crime syndicates, political parties etc.
  • various organizations that have (or once had) the resources to have a space fleet and "own" the particular planets they explored/conquered/colonized (maybe recently, maybe a long time ago)
  • inflated from small-scale origins (e.g. the brother-in-law of the first emperor became viceroy of an important planet, and centuries later his family is wealthier than many alien empires; two or three Earth nations, the only ones with space colonization programs, have expanded to fill tens of planets each while the others merely provide exotic foreign tourists)

Acharis    5979

Maybe something like this:

Power of nobles comes from territory (estates). All nobles have estates on the imperial capital since they are the powerfull  people since the birth of the empire. Nobles own ground forces (fleets are under imperial control?) and since they have estates on the imperial capital planet they have armies there as well.

If a noble house is too unhappy they might start a revolt. In such case their armies on the imperial capital will attack the imperial palace. Imperial guards will stand to defend the emperor. Other nobles will have a choice: join the revolting noble house, join the emperor, do nothing. Also local population can form a militia to defend beloved emperor. Then armies are talled up and the outcome is decided. If the emperor loses he is disposed of, game over.

Each planet can have several estates, so technically nobles do not own planets. Nobles are supposed to defend the planet they are on (have estates) in case of alien invasion (using their ground forces), they also collect taxes from their estates. Part of that tax goes to the imperial treasury. Estates are granted by the emperor as new planets are colonized/conquered. The incentive to give out estates is that nobles are significantly more skilled at managing estates than imperial appointed officials and that the hatred of nobles increases rapidly if the imperial controlled estates exceed 20% of total available estates in the empire. Also, imperial controled estates generate "bureaucracy points" which can incur a penalty to efficiency of the empire as a whole.

Deflinek    1619

I'm sorry but it doesn't make much sense for me. Why the nobles should have an army on the imperial capital? To defend from whom? Even if they don't really like each other or the Emperor, in theory they play in the same team. Also Emperor having just small loyal guard while everyone else around has full army is asking for trouble.

Emperor will hold his position only as long as no one dares or succeeds going aganist him. Showing off imperial force and forbidding any other helps a lot on capital.

As for the last part (the planets) I agree 100%.

Acharis    5979
18 hours ago, Deflinek said:

I'm sorry but it doesn't make much sense for me. Why the nobles should have an army on the imperial capital? To defend from whom? Even if they don't really like each other or the Emperor, in theory they play in the same team. Also Emperor having just small loyal guard while everyone else around has full army is asking for trouble.

Emperor will hold his position only as long as no one dares or succeeds going aganist him. Showing off imperial force and forbidding any other helps a lot on capital.

As for the last part (the planets) I agree 100%.

How about this:

When nobles are upset one might want to revolt, such noble nouse is called "Usurper". Other nobles can support the emperor, usurper, or stay neutral.

All planets are set into "confused" state (kind of neutral/undecided/not knowing what's going on), the imperial planet will be set as "supporting emperor" while nobles homeworlds will be set as supporting the party their noble house supports. Then, each turn any confused planet neighbouring decided planet must decide too (armies on the planet start fighting and the planet supports the local winner; the side get +20% to combat power per neighbouring planet on same side). Then, after at least 60% of planets decided the side which accumulated 70% of support (planets not being equal, some are far more important) wins. If at any time imperial capital is taken over the usurper wins. If all planets decided the side with more planets win (even if won marginally by one backwater planet support).

(note: it would be fun if the player got additional options to impact the usurp attempt, ideas?)

Talroth    3247

Have you read Dune? (I think Dune and the "House" books in the series are possibly some of the best empire/political intrigue novels in Sci-Fi still.)

Crusader Kings might also be a good reference game to look into to get some ideas.

In my opinion some of the best games of this style have their game play and lore heavily intertwined. - What are foundations that society is built on? What technologies do they have, and what impacts does that have on society? If everyone and their dog has FTL as common as cars, then you're going to have a game and society that is different from one where only a handful of individuals control FTL along the lines of the Spacing Guild and Highliners. 

Start thinking about the problem from a storyline viewpoint: Who is doing what and why? - Does any of that translate into something that you find appealing as a player?

Acharis    5979

Thoughts based on posts so far:

- noble houses' power should be based on estates (territory), possibly combined with trade privileges, licences, charters and the like

- noble houses should have at least private ground forces (army) if not own fleets

- noble houses are responsible for fighting, at least defending the planets with their estates, they are "the defenders of humanity from ugly aliens"

- the player (Emperor) is the political leader of the empire, not representing any house, nominally in command of military forces (possibly with a lot of nobles autonomy and/or hands off approach)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By francoisdiy
      This is a self-made game maker. I made it create games for myself to run but wanted to share it with you. In this video I show how I can create the game Flappy Bird using the editors and then play it! The programming of the sprites use a language called Francois DIY Script. I stream development and gameplay on Twitch as francoisdiy.
      Video Link: Video
      My Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/francoisdiy
      I tend to stream in the evening after 7:00PM.
    • By greentiger
      Right now I'm designing a fantasy tactical turn based game. Originally the game was inspired by Vandal Hearts ( for reference see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc6yp7DH3ts&list=PL5V4iNEm527MCEyGwSkmhJ12aAkFNHKtz ).
      As it was inspired by Vandal Hearts I currently have the class and unit progression using points (damage, for example is the [ unit's Phys.Att. + weapon Phys.Att ] - [ defender's Phys.Def + defender's armor Phys.Def ] = base damage (minimum damage is 0) + 1-6; it has a rock-paper-scissors type class superiority ring.
      The challenge I'm facing is this is extremely difficult for me to balance.
      I've been considering the possibility of changing the character progression system to something along the lines where level/rank unlocks class tree abilities (sort of like a mix of WoW skill trees and X-COM) -- and then having weapons do base damage with variable damage like from Terror from the Deep (damage * (0.5 .. 1.5)); I would like to keep the rock-paper-scissors balance where skills chosen determine the unit's class and access to weapons. -- you know writing it down makes it sound more similar to the modern XCOM system.
      I've already redone spells so that they are more like the modern XCOM's abilities with cooldowns and limited uses per combat session.
      Any suggestions and/or tips would greatly be appreciated! Is the Vandal Hearts point type system a sacred cow or is a more XCOM-ish system workable and fun for a fantasy tactics game? Please reply in-thread as I have it set to receive notifications.
      Thanks!

• By gdarchive
      A collection of design documentation from the development of The Sims from Electronic Arts and Maxis, dating back to 1997.
      3DPeopleQuestion.pdf AnimationClassBreakdown.pdf AnimationDocumentation.pdf ArtDepartmentPostMortum.pdf BrainstormProblemListForArtTeam.pdf Ch00-TableOfContents.pdf Ch01-Goals.pdf Ch02-World.pdf Ch03-Objects.pdf Ch04-People.pdf Ch05-PetsAndPests.pdf Ch06-Simulator.pdf Ch08-Framework.pdf Ch09-Architecture.pdf Ch10-Graphics.pdf Ch11-Movement.pdf Ch12-CharacterAnim.pdf Ch13-Sound.pdf Ch14-Resources.pdf Ch16-Tools.pdf Ch17-TDSB.pdf Ch18-ContentDevelopment.pdf Ch19-SoftwareDevelopment.pdf Ch20-Documentation.pdf Ch21-Happy.pdf Ch22-ContainedInteractions.pdf CharacterRenderingDevelopmentPlan.pdf ComprehensiveArtAssessment.pdf ContentCreationRules.pdf CuckooClock.pdf EdithDocumentationOverview.pdf EdithPrimitives.pdf FailureTrees.pdf FigureNG.pdf FloatCompression.pdf GuineaPigCage.pdf HappyFriendsHome-2-10-96.pdf HitSoundRevivew.pdf HitSystemDesign.pdf HowToPursueHappiness.pdf JeffersonCharacterMotives.pdf JeffersonDemoTutorial.pdf JeffersonTools.pdf MasterIDAndSubIndexOverview.pdf MaxisSimRules.pdf MooseHead.pdf NotesFromMaxisNewPencilPostmortem.pdf ObjectFileFormat.pdf ObjectIFFFileFormat.pdf ObjectList.pdf ObjectMakingProcedure.pdf ProgrammingObjectsInTheSimsV3.pdf ProgrammingSimsDialogs.pdf ProposalForExtendingTheSimsFranchise.pdf QuickReferenceGuideForTheBewSimsSpriteExporter.pdf ResourceEXE.pdf ResourceFileOverview.pdf SimsBoxXSpecAndDesign.pdf SimsContentLibraryNotes.pdf SimsFileFormat.pdf SimsScripts.pdf SimTransmogrifierDesign.pdf SimTransmogrifierTODO.pdf SlotMachine.pdf SpriteGeneration.pdf Storytelling.pdf Strategy.pdf SuitConventions.pdf TDRObjects.pdf TDSB.pdf TDSBInfo.pdf TechnicalEmail.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft3-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft5-8-31-98-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft5-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft7-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsPieMenus.pdf TheSimsProjectCompletion-18-12-98.pdf TheSimsQuickStartGuide.pdf TheSoulOfTheSims.pdf TheStateOfTheArtAndGoingForwardToE3.pdf Tools%20Proposal%20Updated.pdf TransmogriferRenovationPlan.pdf VirtualMachine.pdf VitaboyOverview.pdf VM.pdf VMDesign.pdf WallLights.pdf XAnimatorDesign.pdf  
      JeffersonDevelopmentMilestones.pdf
      JeffersonGameDescription.pdf
      JeffersonSpectrumOfChallenge.pdf
      SpriteRotations.pdf
      TDSEditToDo.pdf
    • By Robert Miroshnichenko
      Hi there guys! 

Recently I found an interview with cool 3d modeler where I was very attracted by the Fur on dress that I was looking for my snow knight (like in the Game of Thrones)

Somebody maybe knows how to make a fur for a dress?
      Searched on the forums, youtube, but the fur is obtained both from the clay
    • By GameDev.net Admin
      If anyone knows what it takes to break into the game design industry, it’s Al Doyle. A teacher of art, architecture, animation and game design for over 25 years, Doyle has been witness to the evolution of the gaming industry. From America all the way to Russia, Doyle has taught and given lectures in game design to students and children across the world. The work Doyle has done with his students has recently been featured on ABC News, the NY Times, Bloomberg Radio and many leading educational technology magazines.
      Doyle offers his advice on the best ways in which game design students can get into the industry, discusses esports and talks on the subject of the future of video game consoles.
      Hi Al, thanks a lot for speaking to us, firstly, broadly speaking, how would one go about becoming a video game designer?
      Al Doyle: The best way to get started in the video game design is to Beta test games for a variety of platforms, markets and target audiences. In many cases you will be significantly provided high quality interactions with the users, who can easily be videos to create an archive of UI testing and more. I was very lucky/smart to be able to test and launch three video game creation engines that range from zero coding to some coding and finally to fully coding a working game.
      This 2D Platform creator asks the creator to write one line of code at a time (much like Python) and the Pop Code! Language does not need to be compiled in order to execute giving the users instant visual feedback for their code. Gamestar Mechanic does not demand any coding skills as the UI is simple drag and drop. This is a great intro to Game Design for ages 5—12. Finally, ‘Ready’ is a unique and very powerful means of creating games.
      Just how difficult is it to find a job within the video game industry at the moment? I've heard there is a lot of competition.
      Doyle: Start by Beta testing games: it is low-entry and allows you to connect with a lot of industry players... a lot of people get their start this way. (I did) Decide what aspect of the industry you would fit (programmer / writer / 3D artist / etc.). GameDev.net is a great game developer’s community site and a great job board through GameDev.Jobs.
      So it's all about getting involved and working hard for free in order to gain experience that employers want?
      Doyle: You have to develop the skills somehow. The kids go to school now as many colleges have game design programs.
      Is going to university to study game design enough now though?
      Doyle: People will ask 'what have you done? What was your role? What can you do for us? A lot of jobs are very specific: special effects, voice over, programming, etc. New York University (NYU) has a Master’s program and then they incubate a select few of the grads with stipends and tech support that gives them a leg up: I know a few of these teams that are now producing real world products.
      I know another team that ‘just did it’: a lot of hard work to do independently yet they have launched successfully.
      No one cares where you went to school, they only care whether you can do the job? Yes, there is a lot of competition but skills rule the day: it is somewhat of a nerdy glamour profession like fashion or acting and the competition is tough: many people are willing to work long hours.
      Are certain companies/countries more likely to employ recent graduates with less experience than others are?
      Doyle: Many companies hire interns for little or no pay (just like many other industries). Recent grads will be facing tough competition yet if they have the particular skills for the specific job and are willing to put in the long hours during sprints they will find their way. Smaller companies are probably easier to break into.
      Would you recommend to a recent graduate to intern then first of all?
      Doyle: Beta Test, Global Game Jam and Internship is one pathway for someone to gain experience and skills for sure: this can work for beginners without schooling. Yet if someone is a crack 3D artist or a programmer with the right set of skills then they can skip the internship route and go right into the paid work.
      Many graduates of Masters Programs still have to prove themselves by building games, polishing their portfolios and getting their first jobs. Start small: join a small team with a limited role and build from there. The big triple AAA teams have small roles to fill while the smaller start-ups need comprehensive skill sets.
      GameDev.net and other "communities of practice" provide so much in the way of advice, blogs, news, job boards and insightful how-to articles to support those interested in getting a start. In New York City, ‘play crafting’ offers classes and workshops and has over 6000 indie game developer’s meetings throughout the year. Classes in Unity, Unreal, Corona SDK, and other aspects of the industry provide a support system independent of the University route.
      Is the university route important still? Or are people able to learn the same skills that they would at university via the internet?
      Doyle: Skills rule the day and many think the University system is a somewhat outdated model yet the University provides real mentorship, built-in networking events, industry talks and contacts. I have seen people succeed with absolutely no formal schooling besides Google and GitHub and others who have gone the Parsons / NYU / Full Sail route. The Programs at both NYU and Parsons are comprehensive and provide a sort of 'one-stop shopping' that makes the pathway more straightforward than the 'Bootstrap' approach. Yet, they both can work.
      The skill set is king. The portfolio is paramount. At the end of the day: can you produce on time and on budget?
      Have you known of any of your own students who have tried their absolute hardest to break into the industry (taking other courses, learning new skills, trying to get unpaid internships etc) and then ended up failing? Or if someone has that determination to get out into the world, build their portfolio, build their skillset, will they eventually land a job?
      Doyle: It depends on how you define failure. Many students find that the industry is not for them; they may end up teaching, doing related jobs in ancillary industries like working for Google or Mozilla or in other related educational settings. They may become entrepreneurs and build YouTube / Twitch / Social Media presences. Not everyone wants to be part of the Triple A ecosystem but there are so many related opportunities to exploit: escape rooms, blogging, teaching, speaking engagements, writing, non-profits, corporate team building. There are many places to apply game-based learning, playmatics, team-building and engagement.
      Is the theory true that it is easier for female game design graduates to get into the industry? Apparently, the game industry wants to become more diverse so they have begun employing a lot more women?
      Doyle: Diversity in any aspect of the Tech Industry is a goal that is easier said than done. The indie game developer scene is definitely making inroads. Black Girls Code is an initiative that aims to do just that. Other initiatives are specific to getting women into Tech as well. I don't think that is any easier for anyone as the competition is global and outsourcing is an issue. Game Design is hard work period.
      Is there a certain role in the industry that is constantly in demand that you would recommend to students to learn and full understand the aspects of?
      Doyle: There are so many students in the front end (animation, character design, illustration) yet the back end (programming, analytics) is the more demanding and in-demand skill.
      In terms of the future of video gaming, will consoles cease to exist soon?
      Doyle: Millennials play with consoles, kids today play with phones and hand-held devices (a gross exaggeration yet there is some truth here). I see almost everyone playing games on the subway. Contact lenses with built in video cameras/playback are being developed now. Bio feedback, prosthetics and wearable tech will make gaming even more ubiquitous, transparent, seamless and pervasive. The future will see us send games to friends like e-cards (many have been doing this already). Anna Anthropy builds casual games that are quick exercises in possibilities; some are more like sketches for games.
      Gamestar Mechanic challenges budding game designers to build a 'Birthday Game' for their best friend. Geometry Dash has an 'insanely great' level design tool. Is Super Mario Maker is a portend of things to come? I hope so for sure.
      It's possible that game design itself will be like photography: we are all photographers now was a mantra when cell phone cameras became everyone's preferred mode of discourse. We will all be game designer as the tool sets become more intuitive, powerful and accessible
      Do you think that the growing popularity of esports is a positive thing for the game industry?
      Doyle: I learned from a High School student of mine that did an extended essay on esports: it is more popular (in terms of numbers) than the NFL, the NBA and MLB world-wide.
      This is a good thing for the gaming industry as it bridges the gap between Sports and Life. The popularity cannot be denied, dismissed or denigrated as some sort of cultural backwater for trolls and teens. Stereotypes of Korean and Japanese kids being addicted to the Internet/gaming notwithstanding, the esports phenomena is providing users with a way to connect to the media in a direct experience that is both fan boy and celebrity-driven.
      That’s a wrap, Al. Thanks a lot for talking to us and keep in touch!
  • Popular Now