Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Touny

Problem in finding resources for learning

This topic is 372 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hello,

First of all, Thank you for your support, Totally appreciated, I have started programming couple of months ago and at this moment I am using love2d framework for lua language but the problem is I cannot find sufficient resources to keep moving.

  • I have visited Amazon and Google Play Books in order to find books but unfortunately found roughly one or two books for beginners.
  • I searched in MOOC -open online courses- and found literally nothing
  • I googled "love2d examples" and found source code for attractive games in addition to Github but It was difficult for me to read the whole script.
  • I googled "love2d tutorials" and after striving I found one useful webpage on Github which I am currently using but looks like It is an exception of the rule of not finding.
  • I googled a simple common mechanic like collision "How to code collision in love2d" but the results required someone who is experienced to make any sense of them.

I won't give up on my dream but I need someone to guide me towards the right path, I have thought of switching to another framework or engine like unity in regard to its huge community but C# was quite advanced So I determined that unity will be my next step after mastering friendly beginner language like lua or python.

Thank you

Edited by Touny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

I don't know about Love2D, but you should not have any problems finding learning resources for Unity. I haven't used Lua or Python, but I think C# is very easy, especially in Unity as a scripting language.

Edited by newtechnology

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, newtechnology said:

I don't know about Love2D, but you should not have any problems finding learning resources for Unity. I haven't used Lua or Python, but I think C# is very easy, especially in Unity as a scripting language.

could you suggest some resources -especially for a programmer- ?

Edited by Touny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love2D is nice, but it's kind of a niche library and not in high demand, which reduces the resources you can look for. You have the wiki, the forums, and sparse tutorials over the web, and that's pretty much everything. Also, it doesn't have a fully feature editor like many engines (Unity, for example), neither built-in things like component systems or OOP, so you have to do many things by hand.

If you're new to programming and want to learn Lua/Love2D, I recommend getting Programming in Lua 4ed, which will teach you a lot about the language. From there, you should be able to read and understand lua code much better.

If you want to switch, C# and Unity are a good combination, but it seems like your problem is that you don't have programming experience, so you should look after this first. Without understanding general programming concepts, any game programming tool will be much more harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TerraSkilll said:

Love2D is nice, but it's kind of a niche library and not in high demand, which reduces the resources you can look for. You have the wiki, the forums, and sparse tutorials over the web, and that's pretty much everything. Also, it doesn't have a fully feature editor like many engines (Unity, for example), neither built-in things like component systems or OOP, so you have to do many things by hand.

If you're new to programming and want to learn Lua/Love2D, I recommend getting Programming in Lua 4ed, which will teach you a lot about the language. From there, you should be able to read and understand lua code much better.

If you want to switch, C# and Unity are a good combination, but it seems like your problem is that you don't have programming experience, so you should look after this first. Without understanding general programming concepts, any game programming tool will be much more harder.

 

16 minutes ago, ByteTroll said:

Try taking a different approach.  Find beginner LUA resources (which you should have no problem finding), learn the language, and then go back and read/learn the "Love2D" API through the documentation.

 

Here are some links to get you started:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/lua/ 

https://love2d.org/wiki/love

 

Good luck.

Well, I conclude that I begin with Lua language first then go back to Love2D, Thank you any way and I will take this into my account, But my note that coding games is different from coding other apps, so, I will miss a lot of gaming development concepts which will hinder my ability to read source code of Love2D examples or even when I try to code on my own.

Edited by Touny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Touny said:

 

Well, I conclude that I begin with Lua language first then go back to Love2D, Thank you any way and I will take this into my account, But my note that coding games is different from coding other apps, so, I will miss a lot of gaming development concepts which will hinder my ability to read source code of Love2D examples or even when I try to code on my own.

Coding is coding, no matter what your coding (TM).  While certain (theoretical) concepts and practices might change between programming a game and an app (a game is really just an app), the language is not going to change.  You learn to read and understand the source code by learning the language and reading/writing lots of code.  Besides, you'd be surprised at what information can be carried over and applied to other areas.  Just because a technique or practice falls under 'app programming,' does not mean that it can't be turned around and used in 'game programming.'

 

Take it one step at a time.  Read and write lots of code.  Learn the language.  You'll be fine!

Edited by ByteTroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!