• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Court
      Hi there, I am currently studying a diploma of screen and media and want to move on to the bachelor of game animation and design after this course finishes. I was just wondering if there was any advice anyone had on landing job interviews and finding work in general for this field. I was also wondering how hard it is to find a job in this field for females as well?
      many thanks
    • By CocoaColetto
      Can I get in trouble for naming my game similar to one that's not in the same genre? For instance, if a game is named Playarada and I name my game Playarade, can I get in trouble? Be mindful that the games would be in two completely different genres. Thank you!
    • By x3ph3r
      A sticky dilemma.
      I'm part of a team based in USA that produces a virtual world software for remote business purposes. The businesses that use us are our Clients with users from all over the world (and expanding), but primarily in the USA. Our software makes use of customizable human avatars to use in world for each user. We have gotten requests from one of our biggest paying Clients and approval from boss to include religion based avatar clothing options (yamulkes, headscarves, skullcaps and turban head coverings currently, potentially garments too).
      As our software is used for business, most people want to keep their real world likeness, which may include some of this clothing because it is a part of their identity. Since this is such a sensitive topic on all sides involved and we are in a politically charged climate in the USA, clearly we don't want to offend anyone because they all pay us. In my opinion, even if this request was deemed as a reason for loss on Client's part, it will still be our company providing the service that will be affected primarily. As an emerging company we can't afford to lose users or current/potential Clients over something unrelated to the core mechanics or hardware requirements of the game.

How do we put it in the avatar creation menu? Keep it with the other head coverings (so not to upset/offend the religious wear users via segregation) or separate it (to protect from accidental abuse of said garments from ignorant users and offend everybody)? As difficult as it would be for us to do (right now), do we only allow access to certain users? Would that be going too far to request information such as this from users, or for them to have to volunteer it for access?

How do we talk about it with the client? When the concern was brought up, they warned us to be careful about using the term "religious wear", so we switched to the more broad "cultural wear", in which they again implied even that term might offend in discussion (because Texas users (very many) would get mad about their cowboy hats not being treated as culturally significant...) and client tactfully avoided telling us what they want us to call it themselves. How do we have a productive conversation though they put out a controversial request and are not willing to speak confidently on it's behalf?

• By DreamHack Activities
      3 Reasons Indies Should Apply for DreamHack's New Activities
      Coming to Austin June 1-3

We're expanding our DreamHack events to encompass a "Gaming Lifestyle" approach. So basically we're bringing a ton of new content to the already massive show that focuses on Indies, Tabletop, Films, Students, Art, and more. Of course this means we're making everything we're already doing even bigger and more awesome such as Esports, LAN, Music, Expo, and pretty much everything else.
      The Top 3 Activities Indies Should Apply For...
      1. Indie Playground: The Indie Playground is a curated area where games entered into our competition before the event have a chance to win a complimentary booth to showcase their game. The selected games are organized into 12 genre categories that are reflected in the layout of the Indie Playground. Multiple titles are selected for each genre ensuring attendees will enjoy as many indie titles as possible. It's free to enter and those selected will score a FREE 10'x10' booth. We're pretty flexible on what you can send us. If you're not finished with your game yet you can definitely still submit. We've judged and accepted tons of unfinished video games, tabletop, etc. before.
      Entry form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-IndiePlayground
      Deadline: April 20, 2018

2. Game Pitch Championship: The Game Pitch Championship was created to help build the skills you need to successfully get your product out there. Many developers are talented and either nail the build they have to show but don’t really nail the business plan or they nail the business plan and not the build. With a pitch, you have a short time to impress so you need to nail it all. This competition will not only help hone your skills with industry vets guiding your progress through the competition, but you’ll win accolades too. You could also win $2,500!
      Entry Form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-GamePitchChamp
      Prize: $2,500 USD

3. Art Gallery: Exactly as it sounds, our gallery showcases some of the most amazing artists in video games, tabletop, comics, anime, and more. DreamHack staff select a number of works then we just print cool art on canvas for FREE—your game gets a slice of advertising while our fans enjoy a non-TV wall on the expo floor. It doesn't even require you to be onsite for the event, so this one should be a no-brainer.
      Entry Form....https://tinyurl.com/DH-GameArtGallery

Good luck!! Reach out to sydney.mantrom@dreamhack.com for questions.

• By Squid Networks

Important links

Website | Whitepaper | Onepager Facebook | Twitter | Telegram | LinkedIn
      SQUID token - SQWD

Opportunity for early supporters
      We are now at stage where we are able to start making connections with game developers who would be interested in being a part of Squid Networks in the future, not only would you be guaranteed a place on the Squid Platform but other incentives such as SQWD tokens and have a say in how the platform work, as after all game developers are extremely important in the market.
      If you are interested in be apart of Squid Networks please don't hesitate to get in touch respond on this thread or email us:
      business@squidnetworks.io
      Learn more about what we've done so far

Key developments
      Whitepaper version 1.0 is live - 05/04/18
      Video explainer is live - 10/04/18
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Question about game studio's Writer's Test

Today l heard back from a pretty established game studio about a Game Writer position l applied for. They responded 2 weeks later with a writer's test in 3 parts and said l have a week to complete it.

This is a job that could pull me out of a shitty longterm situation, change my life, and allow me to actively chase my dream in the game industry.

So l sort of wanna try to not fuck up

l was hoping some of you guys could answer some questions l have about this test. l'm a lifelong gamer/writer, but l'm still wet behind the ears working in the game industry:

• Part 1 is a Q&A composed of 18 questions starting with my gamer history and knowledge, then my general knowledge as a creative writer, then into specific behavioral and industry-relevant questions.

How long do you suggest my answers be for this part?

• For Parts 2 & 3 l need to create a character that would fit into the cast of one of their published games as well as a major quest for said game. These parts are pretty straightforward... but what l'm lost on is that they want me to treat them as if l'm developing a "presentation of the character/quest" for the art direction and/or production teams.

ls there a specific format for this kind of presentation? lf not, can l just format it however l prefer to?

l seriously, really appreciate any advice you guys have to offer. Thanks in advance

-BVA

Advertisement
1 hour ago, BVAaron said:

How long do you suggest my answers be for this part?

Long enough that you can convince them that you can do the job. 

There is no universal answer to how long your bio should be, how long your experience list should be, or how to best describe your background.  

I imagine some people could write a few words to get the job.  For example, I imagine this would be an amazing answer that satisfied the bulk of those questions:  "My name is Erik Wolpaw, I wrote the scripts for Portal and Portal 2, Half Life 2, and other games. " With that alone there is a good chance he'd land the job, or at least an interview.  But chances are good you'll need to write much more than that.

1 hour ago, BVAaron said:

ls there a specific format for this kind of presentation? lf not, can l just format it however l prefer to?

I'd ask them if they have a writing template so you can match their studio's style.  They may hand over a ready-made template.

If they don't have one, your favorite search engine can find a bunch of formatting templates for outlining a character or building quests. Use those as a guide or make up your own based on what you see.   If you make up your own be careful that you include all the details. It would be a sad mistake to build your own character sheets to only include positive traits, but have nothing of the character's quirks or flaws, worries and regrets, or individual insights.   For quests and groups you can give story arcs and the way the individual traits, quirks, and flaws are layered in the text to draw emotion.  In that case design it however you think would best convey the writing and at the same time be immediately useful to the other developer disciplines.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:57 PM, frob said:

Long enough that you can convince them that you can do the job. 

There is no universal answer to how long your bio should be, how long your experience list should be, or how to best describe your background.  

I imagine some people could write a few words to get the job.  For example, I imagine this would be an amazing answer that satisfied the bulk of those questions:  "My name is Erik Wolpaw, I wrote the scripts for Portal and Portal 2, Half Life 2, and other games. " With that alone there is a good chance he'd land the job, or at least an interview.  But chances are good you'll need to write much more than that.

I'd ask them if they have a writing template so you can match their studio's style.  They may hand over a ready-made template.

If they don't have one, your favorite search engine can find a bunch of formatting templates for outlining a character or building quests. Use those as a guide or make up your own based on what you see.   If you make up your own be careful that you include all the details. It would be a sad mistake to build your own character sheets to only include positive traits, but have nothing of the character's quirks or flaws, worries and regrets, or individual insights.   For quests and groups you can give story arcs and the way the individual traits, quirks, and flaws are layered in the text to draw emotion.  In that case design it however you think would best convey the writing and at the same time be immediately useful to the other developer disciplines.

Thanks! Will do all of that

Could you possibly explain what you mean by, "
For quests and groups you can give story arcs and the way the individual traits, quirks, and flaws are layered in the text to draw emotion"?

18 hours ago, BVAaron said:

Thanks! Will do all of that

Could you possibly explain what you mean by, "
For quests and groups you can give story arcs and the way the individual traits, quirks, and flaws are layered in the text to draw emotion"?

That was in response to this:

On 7/12/2017 at 7:13 PM, BVAaron said:

l need to create a character that would fit into the cast of one of their published games as well as a major quest for said game. These parts are pretty straightforward... but what l'm lost on is that they want me to treat them as if l'm developing a "presentation of the character/quest" for the art direction and/or production teams.

If you're developing a character to fit in to the game you'll need all the aspects of the character.  If you're adding a major quest you need to write about fitting it in to the game.

As you hopefully know as an aspiring game writer, every major character should have a few facets. For most writing it is 1-3 key motivators (find lost parents, seeking fortune, protecting homeland, destroying a magical ring, searching for perfect ingredients, change the past to prevent disaster), a quirk or oddity of the character (lusty womanizer were everything is flavored by innuendo, depressed where everything is flavored by depression, shifty unknown background where everything is flavored by guesses about bizarre background) and flaws (Loyalty flaws where they eventually leave the party and may or may not return, envious flaws where they may cause problems by longing for something, recklessness flaws where a game character may take excessive action that harms the party).  Those should play well both with an art direction and with production goals.  In Pirates of the Caribbean they were all pirates, some dressed in dirty clothes with scars and a wooden leg and bad teeth, another who is dressed to the nines and could seduce twenty women with a smile.   

The same thing for a quest. You need to know how the arc of the quest will play out with the story line. Since it needs to integrate with an existing game, you'll need to figure out how to work it in to the universe in a believable way. You'll also need to figure out how it would affect the game after the quest is complete. It may be as simple as gaining an epic item, or it might change the game in a more dramatic way.  Quests can be tiny independent elements, or they can have large emotion-evoking elements.  That is all up to you, as the writer, to handle.