gamer9xxx

Pathfinding Eikonal vs Grass Fire Algorithm

Hi, I was reading Game AI Pro how they implemented Supreme Commander path finding and came to one question.

For the integration of cost field they are using Eikonal equation for traversing the areas.
They recommended Fast Iterative Method and it's parallel version for solving this equation.
However in all basic tutorials of flow field navigation that I found  for integrating of the cost field is used simple grass/brush fire algorithm.

My question is what would be the difference if they used in the game just grass fire algorithm?

I guess the reason was some quality/performance trade of.
Fortunately the Fast Iterative Method is very easy to implement so I can compare the performance, but what I don't understand is, what is the "quality" benefit.

Edited by gamer9xxx

On 15/7/2017 at 0:10 PM, gamer9xxx said:

For the integration of cost field they are using Eikonal equation for traversing the areas.

No, the eikonal equation defines what is a shortest path. "Traversing the areas" is what algorithms that compute solutions of the eikonal equation, i.e. shortest paths, need to do somehow.  In the case of chapter 23 of Game AI Pro:

We are now ready for cost field integration. As with the LOS pass, we start with the active
wave front list. This active wave front comes from the list of “Wave Front Blocked” loca-
tions from the previous LOS pass. In this way we only integrate locations that are not
visible from the goal.
We integrate this wave front out until it stops moving by hitting a wall or a sector
border. At each grid location we compute the integrated cost by adding the cheapest cost
field and integrated cost field’s up, down, left, or right neighbors together. Then repeat this
Eikonal equation process again and again, moving the wave front outward toward each
location’s un-integrated, non-walled neighbors.

Maintaining a list of active wavefront cells looks definitely like a "brushfire" algorithm.

Are you confusing this basic building block of multiple source/single destination grid-based pathfinding with the full pathfinding solution described in the book (tile-based architecture, portals, caching, LOS special case, specific flags and data structures, etc.)?

Hi, thx for the explanation, yes it was just a confusion what eikonal equation is, since they added the whitepaper that describes how to solve it with the Fast Iterative Method, but apparently they didn't use it at all, but what they wrote in your quoted part, it's simple "brushfire" alg.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By rXpSwiss
      Hello,
      I am sending compressed json data from the UE4 client to a C++ server made with boost.
      I am using ZLib to compress and decompress all json but it doesn't work. I am now encoding it in base64 to avoid some issues but that doesn't change a thing.
      I currently stopped trying to send the data and I am writing it in a file from the client and trying to read the file and decompress on the server side.
      When the server is trying to decompress it I get an error from ZLib : zlib error: iostream error
      My question is the following : Did anyone manage to compress and decompress data between a UE4 client and a C++ server ?
      I cannot really configure anything on the server side (because boost has its ZLib compressor) and I don't know what is wrong with the decompression.
      Any idea ?
      rXp
    • By Connor Rust
      I am currently attempting to make a navigation mesh for our 2D top down game, which is a multiplayer game using Node.js as the server communication. At the moment, I have implemented A* over an obstacle hardnessmap, which is awfully slow and laggy at times when we test our game on Heroku. I have been trying to find an algorithm to automatically generate the navmesh after map creation, instead of me having to do this manually. I am currently attempting to use Delaunay's Triangulation Divide and Conquer algorithm, but I am running into some issues. I have already asked a question on StackOverflow and am not getting many suggestions and help from it, so I figured I would come here. Is there another algorithm that might be better to use for the navmesh generation in comparison to Deluanay's Triangulation? My current implementation seems extremely buggy during the merge step and I cannot find the error. I have checked over the code countless times, comparing it to the description of the algorithm from http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~samuelp/del_project.html. 
      My current code is this:
      class MapNode { constructor(x, y) { this.position = new Vector(x, y); this.neighbors = []; } distance(n) { return this.position.distance(n.position); } inNeighbor(n) { for (let i = 0; i < this.neighbors.length; i++) { if (this.neighbors[i] === n) return true; } return false; } addNeighbor(n) { this.neighbors = this.neighbors.filter((node) => node != n); this.neighbors.push(n); } addNeighbors(arr) { let self = this; arr.forEach((n) => self.neighbors.push(n)); } removeNeighbor(n) { this.neighbors = this.neighbors.filter((neighbor) => neighbor != n); } } class Triangle { constructor(p1, p2, p3) { this.p1 = p1; this.p2 = p2; this.p3 = p3; this.neighbors = []; } addNeighbors(n) { this.neighbors.push(n); } } function genSubMat(matrix, ignoreCol) { let r = []; for (let i = 0; i < matrix.length - 1; i++) { r.push([]); for (let j = 0; j < matrix[0].length; j++) { if (j != ignoreCol) r[i].push(matrix[i + 1][j]); } } return r; } function determinantSqMat(matrix) { if (matrix.length != matrix[0].length) return false; if (matrix.length === 2) return matrix[0][0] * matrix[1][1] - matrix[1][0] * matrix[0][1]; let det = 0; for (let i = 0; i < matrix.length; i++) { let r = genSubMat(matrix, i); let tmp = matrix[0][i] * determinantSqMat(r); if (i % 2 == 0) det += tmp; else det -= tmp; } return -det; } // if d is in the circle formed by points a, b, and c, return > 0 // d is on circle, return 0 // d is outside of circle, return < 0 function inCircle(a, b, c, d) { let arr = [a, b, c, d]; let mat = [ [], [], [], [] ]; for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) { mat[i][0] = 1; mat[i][1] = arr[i].position.x; mat[i][2] = arr[i].position.y; mat[i][3] = arr[i].position.x * arr[i].position.x + arr[i].position.y * arr[i].position.y; } return determinantSqMat(mat); } function walkable(from, to, hardnessMap) { let diff = new Vector(to.x - from.x, to.y - from.y); if (Math.abs(diff.x) > Math.abs(diff.y)) diff.scale(Math.abs(1 / diff.x)); else diff.scale(Math.abs(1 / diff.y)); let current = new Vector(from.x + diff.x, from.y + diff.y); while (Math.round(current.x) != to.x || Math.round(current.y) != to.y) { if (hardnessMap[Math.floor(current.y)][Math.floor(current.x)] === 1) return false; current.x += diff.x; current.y += diff.y; } return true; } function getLowest(nodes) { let lowest = nodes[0]; for (let i = 1; i < nodes.length; i++) { if (nodes[i].position.y < lowest.position.y) lowest = nodes[i]; } return lowest; } // returns the angle between 2 vectors, if cw is true, then return clockwise angle between, // else return the ccw angle between. b is the "hinge" point function angleBetween(a, b, c, cw) { let ba = new Vector(a.position.x - b.position.x, a.position.y - b.position.y); let bc = new Vector(c.position.x - b.position.x, c.position.y - b.position.y); let v0 = new Vector(0, 1); let angleBA = v0.angleBetween(ba) * 180 / Math.PI; if (angleBA < 0) angleBA += 360; let angleBC = v0.angleBetween(bc) * 180 / Math.PI; if (angleBC < 0) angleBC += 360; let smallest = Math.min(angleBA, angleBC); let largest = Math.max(angleBA, angleBC); let angle = largest - smallest; return (cw) ? angle : 360 - angle; } function sortSmallestAngle(a, b, list, cw) { list.sort((m, n) => { let vab = new Vector(a.position.x - b.position.x, a.position.y - b.position.y); let vmb = new Vector(m.position.x - b.position.x, m.position.y - b.position.y); let vnb = new Vector(n.position.x - b.position.x, n.position.y - b.position.y); if (cw) return vab.angleBetween(vmb, cw) - vab.angleBetween(vnb, cw); else return vab.angleBetween(vnb, cw) - vab.angleBetween(vmb, cw); }); } // a is in list, b is in the other list function getPotential(a, b, list, cw) { sortSmallestAngle(b, a, list, cw); for (let i = 0; i < list.length - 1; i++) { let angle = angleBetween(b, a, list[i], cw); if (angle > 180) return false; else if (inCircle(a, b, list[i], list[i + 1]) <= 0) return list[i]; else { a.removeNeighbor(list[i]); list[i].removeNeighbor(a); } } let potential = list[list.length - 1]; if (potential) { let angle = angleBetween(a, b, potential, cw); if (angle > 180) return false; return potential; } return false; } function merge(leftNodes, rightNodes, leftBase, rightBase, hardnessMap) { leftBase.addNeighbor(rightBase); rightBase.addNeighbor(leftBase); let newLeft = leftNodes.filter((n) => n != leftBase); let newRight = rightNodes.filter((n) => n != rightBase); let potentialLeft = getPotential(leftBase, rightBase, newLeft, false); let potentialRight = getPotential(rightBase, leftBase, newRight, true); if (!potentialLeft && !potentialRight) return; else if (potentialLeft && !potentialRight) merge(newLeft, newRight, potentialLeft, rightBase, hardnessMap); else if (potentialRight && !potentialLeft) merge(newLeft, newRight, leftBase, potentialRight, hardnessMap); else { if (inCircle(leftBase, rightBase, potentialLeft, potentialRight) <= 0) merge(newLeft, newRight, potentialLeft, rightBase, hardnessMap); if (inCircle(leftBase, rightBase, potentialRight, potentialLeft) <= 0) merge(newLeft, newRight, leftBase, potentialRight, hardnessMap); } } // divide and conquer algorithm function delaunay(nodes, hardnessMap) { if (nodes.length <= 3) { for (let i = 0; i < nodes.length; i++) for (let j = 0; j < nodes.length; j++) if (i != j) nodes[i].addNeighbor(nodes[j]); return nodes; } else { nodes.sort((a, b) => { let tmp = a.position.x - b.position.x; if (tmp === 0) return b.position.y - a.position.y; return tmp; }); let l = nodes.length; let leftNodes; let rightNodes; if (l === 4) { leftNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(0, 3), hardnessMap); rightNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(3, 4), hardnessMap); } else { leftNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(0, Math.floor(nodes.length / 2)), hardnessMap); rightNodes = delaunay(nodes.slice(Math.floor(nodes.length / 2), nodes.length), hardnessMap); } let leftBase = getLowest(leftNodes); let rightBase = getLowest(rightNodes); merge(leftNodes, rightNodes, leftBase, rightBase, hardnessMap); console.log("=============================MergeComplete================================"); return nodes; } }  
    • By lucky6969b
      I am not sure I can ask questions about a specific library here, but if you haven't already. I'd like to tag some polys in a navigation mesh that correspond to grass or road etc, I can give an extent to do so, or in another way, I can directly feed a geometry in and the polys are tagged this way. But I am looking into alternative ways such as allowing the user to tag the polys using a text file or bitmap file (like the way heightfields are done).. If I define a area map which is a grayscale  image, and the values range from 0-255, and for example, if the value of the first char is 0, then I can map this index to certain place in the navigation mesh, and say this is a walkable ground etc, unlike heightfields, where you define an image and the resultant thing is some terrain, but when you start off with a bitmap for area map, you end up with what? you see, I had the geometry already, the area map probably doesn't make sense here, same way as the text file thing....
      Any ideas?
      Jack
    • By sidbhati32
      I am working on a game in which we control a rectangular box at the bottom of the screen. Three sphere which has alphabets in it fall down. When the game starts, a word is generated from the predefined list of words(which I'll give) and we are supposed to touch the correct sphere having the alphabet based on that word. The question is how to detect if I have touched the correct sphere. 
      secondly, if I have touched a correct sphere before and there is no recurrence of that alphabet in that word then during the second wave the game should not proceed if I touch the same alphabet again.
      Looking forward to your answers, i have to submit this project in a couple of days. please help! (Working on Unity 3D)
      Thanks
    • By Yarden2JR
      Hi there everyone! I'm trying to implement SPH using CPU single core. I'm having troubles in making it stable. I'd like some help in order to understand what is wrong and how could I fix it. Please, take a look at the following videos:
      Water inside sphere using Kelager's parameters
      Water inside big box
      Water inside thinner box
      I've already tried using XSPH, the hash method to find the neighbors (now I'm using the regular grid, because the hash method didn't work for me) and two different ways of calculating the pressure force.
      I'm using mostly the following articles:
      Particle-Based Fluid Simulation for Interactive Applications, Matthias Müller, David Charypar and Markus Gross
      Lagrangian Fluid Dynamics Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics, Micky Kelager
      Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Real-Time Fluid Simulation Approach, David Staubach
      Fluid Simulation using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics, Burak Ertekin
      3D Langrangian Fluid Solver using SPH approximations, Chris Priscott
      Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Popular Now