• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Methods accessing each others variables

Hi guys,

So I'm wondering why cant I reference a value or even access a value that's in a method from another method.. like so

public class Main {

public static void main(String arg[])
    {

String bob = "bobby";
        compute();
    }

public static void compute() 
    {
    main.bob = "yoyo";

}
}

I don't know if I'd ever want to do this, but I'm just curious, does this mean that there's simply no other way to modify the variable values of a method without providing it with values through invoking the method ?  

So in the following way I can basically set what values (true to the predefined data types) these argument variables will have..

public class Main {

{

String one = "Ping",two = "Pong";
        String Result = "";
        Result = compute( one,  two);
        System.out.println(Result);
    }

public static  String compute(String first, String second) 
    {

String joined = first + " " + second;
    return (joined);

}
}

What if instead of this I have

String joined = first + " " + second;

String joined_2 = third + " " + forth;

String Altogether = joined + joined_2;
    return (Altogether);

So say i get to the first line in that code and suddenly want to change a value in the second line, would that be possible ? 

Okay crappy example, I suppose parameters are then the only manner available for methods to get values from the invoking method ? 

Advertisement

Most languages (including C# of Java, which you appear to maybe be using) are not designed this way; they simply don't consider a method to have local instance variables and state associated with it that persists outside the temporary memory reserved for that method when it is executing. In fact, I don't know any languages (offhand) that would explicitly permit you to do what you wrote the initial example for.

Some languages do have "static" local variables in methods, but they're usually just like globals with a narrower lexical scope; explicitly narrowed so you cannot refer to them like you're suggesting.

So yes, there's no way to modify the value of a variable in a method without passing a value to that method (or similar) to indicate how the method should initialize the variable. The (non-static) variables you're declaring in a method are local: they come into being when the method is called, and exist only for the duration of the method's execution. Then they are (effectively) destroyed when the method ends. So there's nothing to "modify" outside that method.

45 minutes ago, Xer0botXer0 said:

Okay crappy example, I suppose parameters are then the only manner available for methods to get values from the invoking method ? 

If you want to "share" information you need to either pass it from method to method or store it as a member of the containing class. Those are generally your two best options, and there are cases where either choice is the better one. It depends on what you're doing.

You can also create globals and share information that way, but this is generally not a great option (and not directly supported by C#, but you can do things to create effective globals that share all the same problems anyhow).

Thanks, well I'm using Java. And I was thinking of objects in Game Makers GML, where variables of objects can be referenced  and modified.

But I've come to realize that methods in Java are similar to Scripts in GML which are temporary. So what I'm looking for I think would be classes. I recall now that I can access variables/arrays and such from one class to another using the classname.variablename line. 

I'm mainly trying to get a better image of what everything can and cant do while studying. 

18 minutes ago, Xer0botXer0 said:

Thanks, well I'm using Java. And I was thinking of objects in Game Makers GML, where variables of objects can be referenced  and modified.

Variables stored in objects can be referenced and modified in Java. Methods, however, are not objects in that sense.

19 minutes ago, Xer0botXer0 said:

So what I'm looking for I think would be classes. I recall now that I can access variables/arrays and such from one class to another using the classname.variablename line. 

Yes. A class describes a type of object, and you can create instances of that type. Those instances are the kinds of objects you can read and write the member variables of.

So I did a bit of further reading and from what I can see, There are Instance fields/Instance methods and there are Class fields/Class methods, The class fields and methods are unique to each instance(object) of a class. Where Class fields and methods are somewhat global and are recognized by their static modifier in their definition. 

I can modify the instance fields/methods by storing a reference to the object in a variable.

But I've got a question regarding the Static types, I'm going to test this out now anyway for the practice because as someone said before it helps to try it out myself too. But I like the forum since you can sometimes get more information which is apart of what helped me progress in Java quite a bit. 

If I create a class called Fruit, and within the class I create a class variable called fruit_Type, then create four objects of class Fruit, I don't use a for loop rather just one after another, in each case I set the fruit_Type class variable to something different like "mango", "orange", "tomato(is tomato a fruit lol)", "guava". 

If I then iterate through all four objects, will they have unique values for fruit_Type, can I even access a static field(var) that way ? Going to test this out now. 

From my understanding the purpose of a class field is to store a value that all objects of that class will share, the purposes of instance fields is that the instance values can be unique, instead of having a basket.java of mangoes I'd have a basket of a variety of fruit.

Okay I tested it.

public class Main {

{

Fruit f1 = new Fruit();
        f1.fruit_Types = "Banana";

System.out.println(f1.fruit_Types);
        System.out.println("");

Fruit f2 = new Fruit();
        f2.fruit_Types = "Guava";

System.out.println(f2.fruit_Types);
        System.out.println("");
        Fruit f3 = new Fruit();
        f3.fruit_Types = "Grape";

System.out.println(f2.fruit_Types);
        System.out.println(f3.fruit_Types);
        System.out.println("");
    }
}

Fruit.java :: public static String fruit_Types = "Lemon"; produces:

• Banana
  •  
  • Guava
  • Guava
  •  
  • Grape
  • Grape
  • Grape

while without the static modifier it becomes an instance field and produces:

• Banana
  •  
  • Banana
  • Guava
  •  
  • Banana
  • Guava
  • Grape

So I'm happy with the findings. :D

Edited by Xer0botXer0

Static, in this context, does mean "shared across all instances of this class". Everything else has its own copy per instance. Good work on testing for yourself and verifying your understanding. Try and avoid statics unless you absolutely need something shared, however.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By EddieK
      Hi I am having this problem where I am drawing 4000 squares on screen, using VBO's and IBO's but the framerate on my Huawei P9 is only 24 FPS. Considering it has 8-core CPU and a pretty powerful GPU, I don't think it is not capable of drawing 4000 textured squares at 60FPS.
      I checked the DMMS and found out that most of the time spent was by the put() method of the FloatBuffer, but the strange thing is that if I'm drawing these squares outside of the view frustum, the FPS increases. And I'm not using frustum culling. 
      If you have any ideas what could be causing this, please share them with me. Thank you in advance.
    • By menyo
      I am trying to figure out a good component design for my item classes since otherwise it probably ends up in a hierarchy disaster. I will just be just using this to define my items in a data driven way. My items do not have a position or interact with the map, they are either on a character or on a tile in the map and that is where they are stored. So I created a blank interface and a couple implementations, nothing is set in stone but I think my concept is pretty solid and I'm looking for feedback from people with more experience on the topic since it would not be the first time I burry myself into something I cannot climb out of :).
      public interface ItemComponent { } public class WeaponComponent implements ItemComponent{ int damage; int range; float attackSpeed; String damageType; } public class ArmorComponent implements ItemComponent { int defense; String armorType; String bodyPart; } Easy enough, like most component systems they only add data the system in my case are the characters using the items, I could add functionality but that will probably complicate things once more components are added. When the character uses any item with the corresponding component I have access to the data, and that is all I currently need. A shield that could also be used as a weapon should be easy to model in. To know and find a specific type of item I implemented a Map that maps a String to a ItemComponent.
      public class Item { private String name; private int weight; private Map<String, ItemComponent> itemComponents = new HashMap<>(); public Item() { } public void addComponent(ItemComponent component) { itemComponents.put(component.getClass().toString(), component); } } A basic item that is used for crafting only would not have any components. For easy lookup I added a couple methods.
      public boolean hasComponent(Class c) { return itemComponents.containsKey(c.toString()); } public boolean isWeapon() { return hasComponent(WeaponComponent.class); } public boolean isArmor() { return hasComponent(ArmorComponent.class); } To instantiate items I will import all JSON data in a Factory pattern and clone the items. Since crafting is a thing I will add another Map to this that maps the items name to the recipe.
      public Item clone() { return new Item(name, weight, itemComponents); } public class ItemPrototype { private Item item; private Recipe recipe; public Item cloneItem(){ return item.clone(); } public Item createItem(List<Item> ingredients) { // Todo: Check ingredients. // Todo: Remove ingredients. return cloneItem(); } } public class ItemFactory { private static Map<String, ItemPrototype> itemPrototypes = new HashMap<>(); static { // Todo: Import items from JSON } public static Item createItem(String name, List<Item> ingredients) { // TODO: Error handling return itemPrototypes.get(name).createItem(ingredients); } public static Item createItem(String name) { // TODO: Error handling return itemPrototypes.get(name).cloneItem(); } } Here is how an item would look inside a JSON file. A simple rock would truncate everything except for it's name and weight unless it I decide it can be used as a weapon too.
      "Rifle" : { "item" : { "name" : "Rifle", "weight" : 3500, "itemComponents" : { "WeaponComponent" : { "damage" : 18, "range" : 20, "attackSpeed" : 10.0, "damageType" : "Piercing" } } }, "recipe" : { "ingredients" : { "Wood" : 1, "lense" : 1, "Steel Plate" : 4 } } } I love to hear what more experienced people have to say about this. There are not much examples to look at on internet except for a couple that go all the way down to engine level where basically everything is a entity. If I have success with this structure I definitely write a article about it.
    • By Honneamise
      Hello,
      im looking for some feedback about my latest experiment .
      You can find it here :
      http://www.honny.net/hexnet
      But please before to do that take some minutes to read what follow.

In all my previous projects i have always used C language ( C not C++ ), yes i am a very old person.
      Some time ago I felt the need to “evolve” in some way, I cant say why exactly.
      To be honest in C i have always been able to find a way to solve a problem by myself or a library for a specific task.
      Of consequence all this stuff about OOP and Classes was really new to me.
      To test this experience i have used Processing.
      From what i have understood this was the fastest ( and easiest ) way to setup this kind of project.
      Well, if you are reading this you have already understood that this is not really a "complete game",
      just a minimalist minesweeper-like similar to the "mini hack" sub-games that you can find in major titles.
      Keep in mind that the main goal was to make some experience with basic stuff like :
      setup a project
      learning OOP and Classes
      basic drawing and images loading
      handling user input
      etc...

UPDATE 11/02/2018 : updated new game version and added some screenshots !!!
      UPDATE 03/02/2018 : now it exist AT LEAST a path to complete the game :-)

• By Ruzicar
      Hi folks,
      During a recent leave of absence for family reasons, I needed something to take my mind off my troubles.  So I decided to learn Android development and create a game I've always wanted to play.  "Borbudo" is available on the Google Play Store at:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borbudo.free
      Very briefly, Borbudo is inspired by the old 80s games Time Bandits and Gauntlet, and in the future I hope to include lots of puzzles and quests in the spirit of Dungeon Master.  Right now I confess that the game needs some re-work to create a unifying theme, but I think the alpha version available now is pretty solid.  My game also features the music of Eric Matyas.
      I'd very much appreciate any comments (or even Patreon pledges).
      With many thanks,
      Rob Lehrbass
    • By Time4Tea
      This is linked to another question that I asked here a couple of days ago:
      I'm looking at making a client-server game with a game server programmed in Java. The game will be a 2D turn-based game (like a board game), with a maximum of around 50-100 games going on at any one time. So, the performance requirements are not very high. The reason I would like to use Java for the server are because I already have some familiarity with it and I would like the server to not be tied to one particular platform. I would also like to design it so that the client interface to the server is as generic as possible, so that the same server could be used with multiple different clients. For example, there might be a web-based client, or someone else might design a stand-alone 3D client application later on, using the same server.
      So, I am looking for some advice on where to start with this, as I have very little experience with coding servers.
      I was planning to use web sockets for the client-server connection, which apparently uses Java EE (Enterprise Edition), which seems to require the use of the GlassFish server. However, I have been advised that a fully-fledged application server, like GlassFish, may be overkill for a game server. So, here are my questions:
      Should I use something like GlassFish? Does it makes sense for the type of game server I am describing? If not, then what sort of networking protocol/library would experienced Java game designers recommend? Are there any existing, general-purpose Java game servers that exist, which I might be able to use as a starting point? (Or even free software/open-source client-server games?) Or, should I look at coding my own game server from scratch? In which case, again, what sort of connection type/library would be recommended? Does anyone know of any suitable introductory tutorials that deal with how to make this sort of game server in Java? I guess my priority is probably minimizing the learning curve and the amount of time/effort involved, over performance. How much effort is this sort of undertaking going to require?
      Thanks in advance! :-)
  • Advertisement