Platformer game where player is a developer

Started by
5 comments, last by diligentcircle 6 years, 9 months ago

Hello everyone!
Like it often happens, I am software developer (not gamedev), and once I got an idea ;)
And I try to implement it.
Idea was to create game, where main character is a developer. And after some occasion, he turns in mysterious world, where developers horrors/memes becomes true.
For example, primary weapon is a crutch, player collects them. Player can use it for melee attack, or throw them for distant attack.
Also player collects coffee to increase health.
Basic enemies are bugs (literally), spaghetti monster, deadline, etc.
Actually there are lot of ideas which can be implemented (such as skills, debuffs, selecting speciality for dev-player, which influences set of skills and so on), question only in finding free time for it)
I plan multiple locations, starts with office, then city, then some nature place.
I decided to use platformer genre, pixel art style (I considered it as easiest to implement. Problem that I don't have any experience in gamedev or creating art, drawing, etc)
Here is brief video for 0-level.

I reimplemented basic idea several times...
I will very appreciate any opinion about this idea. Does it have any chance? Especially with so horrible design.

Or may be you have some crazy ideas of game items?
Thanks.

Advertisement
6 minutes ago, harentius said:

Idea was to create game, where main character is a developer. And after some occasion, he turns in mysterious world, where developers horrors/memes becomes true.

What kind of developer? The plot doesn't sound very interesting.

3 minutes ago, newtechnology said:

What kind of developer?

Does it matter? (Actually I wanted to differentiate it in future, it gonna to influence on player skills set, but not for the moment - currently abstract)

Just now, harentius said:

Does it matter? (Actually I wanted to differentiate it in future, it gonna to influence on player skills set, but not for the moment - currently abstract)

A developer can be anyone who develops. What do you mean by developer? A game developer? Maybe I'm missing out on what you are trying to say.

Just now, newtechnology said:

A developer can be anyone who develops. What do you mean by developer? A game developer? Maybe I'm missing out on what you are trying to say.

Okay, sorry, probably I expressed unclear.

I meant typical software developer (programmer, coder, etc) - person who spend time writing a code. 

Implementation is more important than what the idea is, and gameplay is more important than story. That's all I can concretely say about this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement