Just published my first game. Any advice?

Started by
7 comments, last by Argentoratum 6 years, 9 months ago

This game started as a practice project. It's the classic game of Snake, but with a twist: you have to control two snakes at once, they score points separately, but in the end you get the lower score of the two (so you have to balance).
You have two things to collect, one gives you point depending on the length, the other gives no points at all, but increases the length, so you need to find the balance here as well.

On the "client" side, I use p5.js and jQuery,It has a highscore feature (which turned out quite difficult for me): on the server side that's node.js and MongoDB. I'm a beginner in programming,but I've learned a lot from this and it was quite fun so far.

What do you think about this game? How to improve it? Is there something you would do differently?
You can check it out here: http://serpents.ga

Advertisement

You can definitely improve the background image and main menu. When I clicked your link I initially thought it was a popup ad and instinctively added it to my adblock blacklist before I realised it was the game.

Other than that, I would be interested in playing this game with the player speed slowed way down, such that you actually can make decisions for both snakes within 2-3 frames of time. As it stands now, the strategy is to make the top one a bit longer, then put it on autopilot and focus all of your attention on the other one, etc.

My idea would be

1. Slow down snek speed so you can focus on both
  2. Remove wrap around feature so you have to focus on both (add borders)
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

Thanks The Comet, these are great ideas!
Yes, the menu is quite nonexistent at the moment... And the background is also very random.
Slowing down is possible, if there is no wrap around then you must really control two snake at once (and not just focus on one like you said...)
And what should happen when one crashes into the wall? Minus points? Put the snake somewhere randomly and decrease the tail length?

Congrats on your first published game!

If you have a pattern of squares in the background, and made the "food" align in these squares it may look better. Of course, don't clutter the background.

As far as crashing into a wall, well, I think that's up to you. You might try reducing the tail, and have the snake move in the opposite direction, or randomly move along the wall up/down or left/right from the point it hits the wall.

Goodness me, this game is hard! Slowing down would be sensible - also, it could be made clearer when the points increase (perhaps by flashing the score when points are gained).

Fun time, thanks; pretty easy to understand,

Josheir

Requires coordination.  :)

Thank you for all the feedback, and the recommendations! I hope you enjoyed playing with this game. I thought I've finished it, but now I guess I'll try and implement your suggestions and see where this goes.

It was quite fun to work on it so far, and also I'm amazed that people played more than 360 rounds on it in one day. I guess that not sooo much compared to other games, but still :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement