Career Paths

Started by
7 comments, last by Eincress 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi,

You have probably seen a lot of post about switching careers to game dev and i am sorry for adding another one. I have the same situation. I have a BS degree in Computer Engineering, i have been in a programming career since i graduated which is 3 years ago. I've used JAVA and i am currently diving deeper to c++. I saved money for 3 years so that i could get a Master's Degree, now i have enough to take it and hoping that i could switch my career to Game Development. 

I'm planning on studying in U.K. for my degree though still undecided on which University i'll be applying to (Newcastle U, Goldsmiths U and Nottingham Trent U). Degree choices are Game Dev, Game Designs, Game Systems and Computer Games Engineering and i feel like taking the last one. 

I need any advice i could get. Should i proceed with my plan? Is Computer Games Engr. a good choice? I wanna develop games specially for future gens and this includes VR Interactive games and Augmented reality which i think is the reason to picking Computer games engineering. 

Advertisement

The names of the courses are mostly irrelevant; dig in to the prospectus and find out exactly what modules they'll be offering you. We can't give you a recommendation without doing exactly the same legwork that you need to to here. Look at what languages they teach, what hardware they use, what their final project/thesis looks like, etc.

Note that obviously no university will be teaching you how to code for "future gens" because that hardware does not exist in the wild yet. The best you can hope for is that they work on current generation hardware; but even that may not be guaranteed given how short a Masters course is and how many different things they need to cram into that time.

Note also that a Masters degree is a bit of a luxury in the UK games industry; it's nice to have, but mostly employers just want to see that you have a relevant Bachelors (which you already have) and a small portfolio of work (which you'll need to create).

You don't NEED to take a masters degree to get there. You can get hired with your existing resume ... IF you build a good game portfolio. IOW: make games.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the advice, one more thing where do I start? Should I learn UE4 and thinker with it? Any recommendations?

Unreal or Unity would work out about the same.  Most potential employers aren't going to care too much about the particulars.  More the fact that it looks like you have a head for making games.  If a place is a Unity shop but you have a lot of experience in UE4 that isn't going to be a major hurdle.  Likewise, if you are down with Unity and C# then moving to modern C++ isn't nearly as painful as it once was.

As to start, make a game you like.  Since you have a degree and some of experience you already have the basics covered.  You just need to show them you have the desire.  And that will show when you make a game you want to play.

Having a good degree will always help you in your full life. As I already suggested to others, take into consideration the case where for some reasons (personal life, getting fed-up, getting older...), you would like to embrace another kind of career. So take into consideration also a more general degree (computer graphics, computer sciences).

UE4 would be a good choice for portfolio work, yes. You might want to consider some non-UE4 based work as well, to show that you're versatile.

Thanks for the tips, i bought a course in Udemy (Unreal Engine) and will finish it for the moment. I also read an article here in gamedev about first step into games so i'll probably start with basic 2d games(pong, worm, breakout). Again thank you for the responses.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement