Hello all, I'm pretty new to programming and game development but I'm currently studying computer science at FSU and am just working on a project on that side that I hope to put on my resume one day... Any and all advice would be welcome! I made a quick, shitty, little dev vlog where I just spliced a few of the features I've added into a single video.
Please leave a comment if you have any words of encouragement or advice!
I have a native iOS game (objective c, XCode build) which I am considering to port to other platforms.
Core gameplay is based on solely on geographical maps, and custom drawing over maps. It also has Core Data. This part is complete in development.
What is not done yet is: monetization, gamification (leaderboards, challenges) and multiplayer functionality.
As I think more about it, I am tempted to think if this is the right time to move to a cross platform tool such as Unity. But before dedicating time to port my 5 years side-project effort in Objective C, I really want to know if its worth it.
- Does Unity support such plugins / assets that will fulfill all my above requirements?
- Unity Personal seems to have only 20 concurrent users - is it too costly scaling if I decide for extending to web and android platforms?
- What is the general workflow involved in publishing to iOS, Android, PC, and web platforms while using Unity? I mean to ask about various points of signing stuff, paying fees and getting certified.
- How long will it really take to port my entire Objective C project into Unity? I am somewhat familiar with C# but I am finding it hard fidgeting with Unity IDE as lot of things are focused around FPS and 3D while my game is still 2d - not much action involved. I seem bit overwhelmed by the list of features I see there. All in all, I do not want to lose my momentum while still making sure its portable to everywhere.
- Any assets I could use (for free to try basis in debug) that are relevant for my game?
- Last but not the least, are there any costs that I need to be paying upfront to Unity, for using it (apart from their monthly subscription model)? I don't understand their costing for multiplayer in conjunction with their subscription fees - if someone could kindly elaborate.
Thanks in advance for your time reading a newbie
I would like to know what the limits of updates are can an update change everything in a game example lets say i want to make a graphics update could i make graphics that look like GTA San Andreas look like GTA 5 graphics or is that impossable?
Michael here, I work for a company called SaySo Rewards.
I actually have a post about our company that you can find on this forum. It talks about how we are trying to work more closely with game developers to help with their funding while also rewarding the player.
So super quick post. I have a home-made survey I would love it if anyone on here with 2-3 minutes free time could fill in.
We will be attending GDC in San Francisco next week and it would be great to have some numbers on this to present at the conference.
Please answer honestly, there are no personal questions being asked.
Could you do me a HUGE favor and leave a comment here if you do fill in the survey, I would really appreciate.