• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Vito Morlino
      Greetings, all!
      I am in the beginnings of my journey to become a gameplay programmer. I'm looking at current job listings and conducting a gap analysis for myself so I can see what I need to work on and develop a plan to improve my skills where they are lacking. I am comfortable working with multiple languages including Java, JavaScript, Python, C#, and a few others involved in game development, and I am most experienced and familiar with C++. Comparing the lists of skills required in gameplay programmer listings to my current skills, what I lack most is experience developing for consoles. Many of the job postings required experience developing for consoles (Xbox One and PS4). I looked around the internet and the only way I could find to get experience was to register with Sony/Microsoft as a developer, but that could only happen if I was already employed (or at least self-employed). Perhaps I was just looking in the wrong places - using the wrong keywords in my searches.
      Is there a way I can get some experience programming for these and future consoles as a student?
      How should I go about furthering my skills developing for consoles once I have access? What should I learn specific to these consoles (that I am not already learning from programming for PC)?
      How different is programming for Xbox/Playstation from programming for PC?
    • By ilia.glushchenko
      Hello everyone!
      Please take my sincerest apologies for a somewhat unrelated topic. However, I found my self recently in a dire need of a dedicated game physics discord server. The reason is I would really love being able to talk or chat with people who have some real experience in the field, such as people that I could find here for example, and unfortunately I really struggled to find one. So I started one myself. If you have any knowledge that you could share, anything at all, or you would like to learn something, or just chat about some related things, we would be happy to welcome you there.
    • By AlphaWolfKing
      Hi everyone, as summer approaches and the college semester comes close to ending. I want some books or resources you would reccomend to a beginner video game programmer.
      On a side note, what are the important calculus topics that are applied to programming video games?
    • By RenderPixel
      Hello all. This is my first post in the forums here.  
      I am currently an artist in the game industry. I have been working as an artist and/or art director for the past 12 years.  I have been working in ue4 for the past several years and have become reasonably practiced at developing custom materials. My focus has shifted, quite a bit, from making art content to understanding the render pipe better. I recently purchased some books on directx and learned to develop basic shaders in hlsl. I am learning the math and physics as I go. As I learn, I am realizing that I have a real passion for this. My goal, initially, was to learn to be a shader programmer. However, as I learn more, I grow curious about what it would take to make a full transition into becoming a render engineer. 
      I am curious where to start. I am piecing this all together as I learn at the moment. I.e render pipe, math, syntax, etc. Should I instead learn this in some particular order or fashion? Is schooling necessary to be successful in this endeavor? 
      This is is basically a general inquisition.  This could be a major career change for me and I am looking to get started the right way. 
      Any help is greatly appreciated. 
    • By balsa1
      Questions for women working in the video game industry:
      1. What education you had before working in the video game industry?
      2. Did you ever experience any sort of discrimination in the workplace?
      3. What is/was your job role in the video game industry?
      4. Why did you choose to work in the video game industry?
      5. What challenges did you face in your job?
      6. How many of your colleagues are women?
      7. At school, did you have any spokesman from the video game industry or a workshop to expand your knowledge and views of that industry?
      8. What can we do to encourage young girls to join the video game industry?
      9. Was it hard getting a job in the video game industry?
      10. In your opinion, what are the benefits of having more diversity in the workplace?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game-Based Learning to Hit $3.2 Billion in 2017

Serious games - those designed for education or training - are on a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.2% globally, suggesting revenues will more than double to $8.1 billion by 2022, according to Metaari, the foremost analyst firm covering the market.  In 2017, global revenues will hit $3.2 billion.  And that number includes only retail packaged (off-the-shelf) products.  It does not include revenues for hardware, devices, platforms, tools or custom content development services.

Several convergent catalysts are driving the global game-based learning market, according to Metaari in its 2017-2022 Global Game-based Learning Market Report:

• Organizational resistance to learning that includes game play is fading fast
  • The growing availability of easy-to-use development tools
  • Exponential innovation in Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR, and Mixed Reality (MR)
  • An upsurge of new next-generation educational games coming to the market
  • The impending rollouts of very fast 5G networks and the Internet of Things (IoT)

In 2017, consumers were the top buyers of educational games, followed by primary schools and corporations. The three buying segments with the highest growth rates are corporations (35.7%), preschool (30.7%) and higher education institutions (26.3%). 

By 2022, corporations will the second-largest buyer group after consumers.

The highest revenue generating educational products are early childhood learning games, brain trainers and language learning games.  The serious games with the highest growth rates are virtual reality educational games, at a breathtaking 47.9%.

Eight game-based learning buying segments are analyzed in the Metaari report: consumer, preschool, primary schools, secondary schools, tertiary and higher education institutions, federal government agencies, provincial/state and local government agencies and corporations.  The report also lists more than 300 suppliers operating across the globe to help companies identify partners, distributors and resellers.

Metaari's report analyses size, growth and trends in seven regions: Africa, Asia Pacific, Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, North America, and Western Europe and has two sections: a demand-side analysis and a supply-side analysis for eight buying segments.  For the U.S., Metaari provides a detailed breakout including information on major serious game studios and market cataysts.

Sam Adkins, CEO, Metaari, provided highlights of his 100+ page report to attendees at the 2017 Serious Play Conference, an annual gathering of the thought leaders in the serious games industry.  Product revenue forecasts are based on Metaari's proprietary game-based learning pedagogical framework, which identifies 11 unique types of educational games. The framework provides suppliers with a precise method of tapping specific revenue streams and a concise instructional design specification for the development of effective educational games.

The Metaari report is available for sale at the price of $499 http://seriousplayconf.com/downloads/2017-2022-global-game-based-learning-market/

View full story