Resources to get good at math?

Started by
38 comments, last by ErnieDingo 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi guys, I'm currently reading 3D Math Primer along with 3D Game Programming with DX11 (advancing in both roughly at the same pace), but I'm having some difficulties, meaning the math keeps going over my head, I just fail to get most of it in an intuitive way and it always end up being this magic formula I just need to have faith in even though I don't get it...which is not good.

So I was wondering, there is any resources online you know of that maybe trough good teaching or exercises to the user really gets me to understand all of in and see it as abvious? Or is like my brain is just not meant/equipped to work with numbers and formulas?! :D

I don't know, though if you happened to be in my same situation in the past and you know something that greatly helped you get past it, then please share with me, though please, no Khan Accademy recomandations, I can't stand the Host going OCD with color matching and just wasting a lot of time because he HAS TO delete one color and use the right one...  it just murder a bunch of my neurons when that happen ...=_='''

Advertisement
43 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

So I was wondering, there is any resources online you know of that maybe trough good teaching or exercises to the user really gets me to understand all of in and see it as abvious? Or is like my brain is just not meant/equipped to work with numbers and formulas?! :D

Even though you have a dislike of Khan Academy (just be aware you are greatly limiting the number of excellent resources for arbitrary reasons), I would still recommend it.

Even if you ignore all the videos (which I think is a bad plan), there are also exercises that build in complexity. At the very least, they can help pinpoint places where your math skills need improving, so you can search for that specific topic elsewhere.

The exercises can be found here, starting at basic things like "Count with small numbers" up to more complex topics like "Finite geometric series in sigma notation":

https://www.khanacademy.org/mission/math

EDIT: There are also online courses like Udemy and Coursera, but I don't have any experience with them when it comes to math courses.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Would agree with Lactose that Khan academy do tend to do a good job of actually breaking down and explaining the areas so its a great resource even if it annoys you ;p

In terms of other ways to learn there are a bunch of apps like Math Theory that cover most of the areas you would need, its literally just a bunch of text about each area (no exercises) so its not the ideal, but it does explain things in a fairly easy to understand way.

Outside of that it would just be a case of grabbing some books on whatever topics youre struggling on, not understanding matrices look up some more books on them, its mostly about finding one that explains it well in a way that you understand, though its hard to say what book / resource would do that for you... plus you can never have too many books ya know :o

I was hoping there where online alternatives to Khan Academy, seems really strange/hard to believe that it is the only site teaching math and proposing exercises...I mean, math doesn't seems something "so exotic" that noone else would attempt a site like that, right?!

This is really the current 2017 situation regarding learning math online? :/

If there are no choices, I'll give Khan Academy another stab, though if there are alternative similar to it, let me know ^_^

2 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

.I mean, math doesn't seems something "so exotic" that noone else would attempt a site like that.

But setting up a site that covers that many math subjects, with video explanations & interactive exercises on every one, set in a structured framework takes a lot of time, effort and skill.

Go to YouTube and you'll easily find someone trying to explain almost any math subject, but most of them will be fairly horrible.

Khan Academy is by far the best. Sorry you don't like it! Set the speed to 1.25x if you find it drags a bit too much. Also, the practice sessions between videos are essential.

Coursera and the like are basically just university professors who've dumped their undergrad courses online - you get minimal support, few useful exercises, and little attempt to really explain the concepts from base principles.

4 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

Khan Academy is by far the best. Sorry you don't like it! Set the speed to 1.25x if you find it drags a bit too much.

Well is not I don't like it, I mean, it annoys and distract me from the math point of the lesson when the host go full OCD with color matching, interrupt to change color, erase to write with the proper color etc..., but I recognize the worth of the extensive explanation and the color thing is nothing I can't get past I guess.

I didn't mentioned it in the first message but I've watched 361 videos on Khan Academy, and still feel like I didn't really picked up that much given the amount of material, so my true concern would be that Khan Academy is somehow not doing it for me or maybe has the wrong pace...

anyway I'll go back to it then.

3 minutes ago, MarcusAseth said:

I didn't mentioned it in the first message but I've watched 361 videos on Khan Academy, and still feel like I didn't really picked up that much given the amount of material, so my true concern would be that Khan Academy is somehow not doing it for me or maybe has the wrong pace...

Do you also do exercises related to the video topics once you've watched the videos?

Like Kylotan mentioned, actually using the math in addition (math pun!) to just watching is critical.

5 minutes ago, Lactose said:

Do you also do exercises related to the video topics once you've watched the videos?

I do those when the site prompt me to them, which is usually every 5 videos :P

If you know exactly what you need : why not ask someone who can do the math for you.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement